WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

RIP The Secret Life of Pets.

I am not stanning for it, tho. So no negative effect. I couldn't care less if it does 5M or 500M.

Pets is going to be a monster.  There isn't a trailer all year that gets a better reaction, has good early reviews and opening huge in overseas markets that translate to the domestic market.  Kevin Hart isn't going to hurt all around either.  

Also, on purely anecdotal evidence every time I have been near a toy store kids go bonkers for the toys.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

There's not much difference in 70 million dollars domestic, 260m worldwide? really?

He said considering the RT score. Even without the RT score, the OS would have favored CW imo. RT score has much stronger effect on DOM.

CGI animation films are dominating. Using their built in advantage with kids/families to full effect. Does not mean they are any good though. Finding Dory is absolutely terrible, on par with Up as one of the worst films of all-time. 

To put into perspective how weak SLOP's legs could be, take a look at some legs on animated movies that had weak WOM and/or were solely for kids:

Minions: 2.9x

DM2 (5 day): 2.57x (If it opened on the 3 day it probably would have been around a 2.8-2.9)

The Lorax: 3.04x

Cars 2: 2.89x

The Good Dino (5 day): 2.21x

Angry Birds (assuming it finishes around 107M): 2.8x

Shrek the Third: 2.65x

Ice Age 2: 2.87x

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

To put into perspective how weak SLOP's legs could be, take a look at some legs on animated movies that had weak WOM and/or were solely for kids:

Minions: 2.9x

DM2 (5 day): 2.57x (If it opened on the 3 day it probably would have been around a 2.8-2.9)

The Lorax: 3.04x

Cars 2: 2.89x

The Good Dino (5 day): 2.21x

Angry Birds (assuming it finishes around 107M): 2.8x

Shrek the Third: 2.65x

Ice Age 2: 2.87x

Teens and young adults will go to see Pets as well.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Teens and young adults will go to see Pets as well.

I dunno, I'm not sensing much interest among that demographic. Certainly not on the same levels as the Despicable Me movies/Minions when they came out.

4 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

CGI animation films are dominating. Using their built in advantage with kids/families to full effect. Does not mean they are any good though. Finding Dory is absolutely terrible, on par with Up as one of the worst films of all-time. 

Another brilliant comment from the Box Office Theory Forums.  Totally sane.  

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's going to have weak WOM among them and they have a bunch of movies to go see the following weeks.

Teens will go nuts for Ghostbusters and Star Trek for sure :redcapes: 

8 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

This can't possibly be a real comment. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Teens will go nuts for Ghostbusters and Star Trek for sure :redcapes: 

I can guarantee more will be interested in those two than Pets. Older audiences are getting sick of Illumination's shtick. 

18 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Pets is going to be a monster.  There isn't a trailer all year that gets a better reaction, has good early reviews and opening huge in overseas markets that translate to the domestic market.  Kevin Hart isn't going to hurt all around either.  

Also, on purely anecdotal evidence every time I have been near a toy store kids go bonkers for the toys.  

Toy store? Is it next door to a Blockbuster? Across the street from Circuit City?

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 1