somebody85

It's A Rotten Summer

It's been a pretty weak summer critically for movies so decided to go and compile all of them to see how bad it actually is.

Fresh:
Captain America: Civil War
Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising
The Nice Guys
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
The Conjuring 2
Central Intelligence
Finding Dory
The Shallows
The BFG

Rotten:
The Darkness
Money Monster
The Angry Birds Movie
Alice Through The Looking Glass
X:Men: Apocalypse
Me Before You
TMNT: Out Of Shadows
Now You See Me 2
Warcraft
Free State Of Jones
Independence Day: Resurgence
The Legend Of Tarzan
The Purge: Election Year

Is this one of the worst summer blockbuster seasons ever?

http://screencrush.com/2016-worst-summer-movie-season-ever/

" Limiting myself to just the average Rotten Tomatoes scores of $100 million budget movies, I found a much wider range from year to year — and that 2016 is, thus far, the second worst summer in a decade. But it’s still not the worst; that dubious honor belongs to 2009, the year of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Angels & Demons, Terminator Salvation, Land of the Lost, Transformers: Revenge of the FallenG-Force, and G.I. Joe."

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/is-2016-the-worst-summer-blockbuster-season-in-091827635.html

Man I hope things get better from here because it's not looking good.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

Plenty of good stuff on the indie/niche level. Just ignore the studio movies. :) 

Agree, just speaking in terms of actual blockbusters/studio releases. Still really excited to see Swiss Army Man and The Lobster.

Any recommendations? I've been waiting for that Ex Machina this year and haven't gotten it.

I just can't remember another summer that's been this bad with big releases with a lot looking to possibly disappoint in the coming weeks including Star Trek: Beyond (marketing is telling the story - and I really hope not), Jason Bourne (will it be pointless?) and Suicide Squad (another I hope is awesome).

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Agree, just speaking in terms of actual blockbusters/studio releases. Still really excited to see Swiss Army Man and The Lobster.

Any recommendations? I've been waiting for that Ex Machina this year and haven't gotten it.

I thought EYE IN THE SKY and THE WAVE were great.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

Plenty of good stuff on the indie/niche level. Just ignore the studio movies. :) 

I would if movies without explosions or big special effcts were actually shown in any of my city's theaters.

:sadben:

It should be weighed by box office, not by budget 

And as one of the bigger defenders of RT here I find it interesting that people so readily use it as an indicator of how "good"  a year or season is 

Edited by tribefan695

Omg how embarrassing. Only nine movies are fresh. Even fewer that have the certified fresh logo with them from RT. 

Captain America

Finding Dory 

Popstar 

The Shallows 

The Conjuring 2

The Nice Guys 

Gotta hand it to these movies. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Free State of Tele said:

Don't try and sugarcoat this, Tele. The terrible truth is we had "studio movies" the rank of MM Fury Road as early as the second fucking week of summer last year.

And what have we got now? Fucking orcs is the best we're getting...

this is where the Shay burst into unmanly tears and turns off his comput...

Edited by shayhiri

This is matching the ongoing trend.

Fresh Disney Blockbusters

Fresh Indie Limited Release movies that don't make much money

Fresh rated R and horror-type movies that don't make much money

Rotten everything else that make more money than most of the fresh movies, but has a muted BO, probably due to being Rotten.

Thank goodness for SLOP to buck the trend next week, hopefully...

12 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Don't try and sugarcoat this, Tele. The terrible truth is we had "studio movies" the rank of MM Fury Road as early as the second fucking week of summer last year.

And what have we got now? Fucking orcs is the best we're getting...

this is where the Shay burst into unmanly tears and turns off his comput...

Unfortunately, Fury Road isn't getting a sequel any time soon and didn't make enough money for the risk that it took. We should start some kind of crowdfunding to convince Miller to make another movie in that scope.

3 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Unfortunately, Fury Road isn't getting a sequel any time soon and didn't make enough money for the risk that it took. We should start some kind of crowdfunding to convince Miller to make another movie in that scope.

Actually Tele and I had offered our firstborn children to Lord Miller even before the movie was released.

I honestly don't see how much more we can do.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

Just now, shayhiri said:

Actually Tele and I had offered our firstborn children to Lord Miller even before the movie was released.

I honestly don't see how much more we can do.

Do you have 200 million dollars?  That'd do it.  Plus your first born.  Get on it Shay.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

This is matching the ongoing trend.

Fresh Disney Blockbusters

Fresh Indie Limited Release movies that don't make much money

Fresh rated R and horror-type movies that don't make much money

Rotten everything else that make more money than most of the fresh movies, but has a muted BO, probably due to being Rotten.

Thank goodness for SLOP to buck the trend next week, hopefully...

You don't think the Conjuring 2 and The Purge are making money? Both films are going to be some of the highest grossers of the summer season. Plus The Purge was certified rotten. The only two horror like films with a "fresh" rating are The Conjuring 2 and The Shallows and the latter you could argue is more of a man vs nature film than a horror movie. And the former is going to make more than $100M domestically. 

The Conjuring 2 and Purge 3 are def making money.

Conjuring 3 and Purge 4 are coming.  I suspect Purge May last longer though...Conuring is more expensive and Wan isn't going to stick with that forever.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Do you have 200 million dollars?  That'd do it.  Plus your first born.  Get on it Shay.

It's actually doable.

I am on the verge of international breakthrough and it is entirely possible I have $ 50 million by the end of the decade.

And there's not a single thing in the world I'd like to invest them in more than the new MadMaxes. So we just wait.

And long live Lord Miller.

Just now, Nova said:

You don't think the Conjuring 2 and The Purge are making money? Both films are going to be some of the highest grossers of the summer season. Plus The Purge was certified rotten. The only two horror like films with a "fresh" rating are The Conjuring 2 and The Shallows and the latter you could argue is more of a man vs nature film than a horror movie. And the former is going to make more than $100M domestically. 

The $100 M isn't bad and the Shallows will turn a profit, but if you add those two up, you'll end up with a WW total under Warcraft or a DOM total similar to X-Men. The highest rated wide-release movie of the summer outside of Disney has made less money than half of  Alice or Turtles. That's so depressing...