baumer

Baumer's Top 100 films you have probably heard of but more than likely haven't seen. #1: Cute Clever Mischievous, but don't feed them after midnight!

4 hours ago, RandomJC said:

Tremors is the best film ever made. I'm not joking as much as some may thing. It's my favorite flick.

Did you check out Tremors 5 that came out this past year.  I think I preferred it to 3 and 4. Overall probably the best DTV series of all time.  I read the original script that Bacon passed over due to his commitment to Apollo 13 for Tremors 2 which was the reason it went DTV to begin with.

Also just saw the original Fly from the 50s.  It's actually a lot like the remake which was surprising to me.  I actually found the ending pretty crazy for it's time as well. The Fly in 86 is just ridiculous though.  It and The Thing remake are hands down the most influential films for pure gore, badass remakes, and fantastic parallels. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Thegun said:

Did you check out Tremors 5 that came out this past year.  I think I preferred it to 3 and 4. Overall probably the best DTV series of all time.  I read the original script that Bacon passed over due to his commitment to Apollo 13 for Tremors 2 which was the reason it went DTV to begin with.

On my shelf. It was pretty fun, might be my favorite of the sequels. I heard a while back about a new TV show with Bacon in it. I'd have to look that up again.

Beautiful Girls (1996)

Directed by:  Ted Demme

Starring: Matt Dillon, Uma Thurman, Lauren Holly, Timothy Hutton, Rosie O'Donnell, Michael Rapaport, Natalie Portman, Mira Sorvino, David Arquette

Box office:  10.6M

It is very rare to encounter a film so devoted to character and this is the greatest strength of Beautiful Girls. Each character has their own personal turmoil and lightness which shines through in a film which from start to finish very little movement of plot is actually achieved, but then again it doesn't need to.

Small-town sensibilities and community spirit are intertwined with the notions of enigmatic strangers posing in an almost prophetic manner delivering advice upon the populous. Events such as brutal fighting, unashamed drunkenness and references to sex are handled as items which are not derogatory but necessary in a rites of passage kind of way. Each character develops through the film into better individuals of what they once were but not to such an extent as to impose sickly sweet values on the audience.

Every character is natural and rounded despite some major personality flaws. Timothy Hutton's excellent Willy is at odds with himself over the next stage of growing up, Rappaport plays the goofy yet loveable fool for love, Dillon the lost soul and Emmerich the doting yet somewhat incapable father. But it is in the Beautiful Women themselves where the real essence of the film lies. Uma Thurman is every blonde inch the mysterious and elegant Andera crossing paths with everyone and influencing their lives for the better. Rosie O'Donnell as the brash 'matron' of the group is the perfect foil for Sorvino's insecure personality. The ace of the bunch however is a mesmerising Natalie Portman who even despite being the cast's youngest member is compelling to the point that you can understand Willy's fascination with her character Marty.

Funny, poignant, reflective and a script that paints the characters so accurately that you feel like you know them or have at least met people like them.  Look for Portman in one of her very early roles.  But be careful, she'll steal your heart.  And then you will end up going to hell, just like me and @SchumacherFTW and @CJohn

74Dymzx.jpg

Awesome movie. Singles, Reality Bites an Beatiful Girls were my favorites at one point of time. Hutton is excellent, I am somewhat disappointed he hasn't had "better" career (from GA point of view); I mean, he has won an Oscar and everything!

And I truly love Matt Dillon. Not just in this movie, but in almost every movie he is in (that I have seen).

• Like 1

Number 16

She's The One (1996)

Directed by: Edward Burns

Starring: Edward Burns, Jennifer Aniston, John Mahoney, Cameron Diaz, Michael McGlone, Leslie Mann

Box office:  9.5M

When you have a low budget of about 3.5 million dollars, you are obviously going to concentrate on what you are good at. For Ed Burns, that is dialogue and characterization. She's The One is one of the best movies I have ever seen when it comes to the characters and who they are. This is a film that reminds me of Tarantino, Damon and Affleck and Kevin Smith. These are thespians that first and foremost have an incredible flair and a tuned ear for how people think, talk and express themselves. Ed Burns is truly one of the gifted ones and this is a film that is a pleasure to watch from the start to the end. From it's main characters to it's secondary ones, they all have something interesting or intriguing to say. If there ever was a hidden gem, this is it in every way.

Ed Burns plays Mickey Fitzpatrick and he is fresh off of a tour of the U.S.A when three years earlier he walked into his apartment and found his fiancee buck naked with what Mickey refers to as Gorilla Man. Instead of doing what most macho men from the world of Goodfellas would do, Mickey just turned and walked out, for three years. Some people take a little longer to heal. 

He is now back in New York driving a cab which is a major point of contention between him and his snobby, pretentious brother, Francis. Francis is a wall street broker or investor or something, and he makes a pile of money. He doesn't understand why Mickey is working at a dead beat job and he never shys away from dragging him through the mud every chance he gets.

" Hey, I'm happy where I am right now," Mickey says to his dad and Francis one day while on their dad's fishing boat.

"Happy, big deal if you're happy. You're never going to make any real money," Francis so eloquently points out.

Francis is wealthy as sin and married to a beautiful woman, played by Jennifer Anniston, but he is cheating on her with another cold hearted woman played with absolute Arctic coolness by Cameron Diaz. She is banging Francis but absolutely does not hesitate to sleep with other men because she knows Francis is still married. She even coyly brags about how many orgasms an older man, affectionately named Papa, can give her while in comparison, Francis has about as much spark as a wet match. Why she is with him, that is not quite clear. But their relationship does ring true because both are so emotionally frigid that they just make sense.

Meanwhile Mickey impulsively marries a girl that he drives to New Orleans in his cab. They have known each other for a mere three days and they tie the knot. This is the highest form of romance to some of the woman in the film but to Francis and Mick's dad, they think it is an abomination. Every theory from her being an illegal alien to pregnancy is debated upon. Never once occurring to either of them that Mickey could truly be in love.

There are other layers to the film such as the father having problems of his own with his wife. There is another hilarious subplot about Mickey finding out that the woman his brother is sleeping with is really his former fiancee, the one that cheated on him with Mr. Gorilla Man.

Ed Burns has written rich characters that are quite real. This is a close family, at least the boys and their father are. But they obviously have some serious real life problems. However, whatever amount of animosity that exists between siblings always takes a back seat loyalty, well most of the time. One scene in particular rings so true that it reminded me of my own brother and our relationship.

Mickey finally finds out that Francis is sleeping with his ex-fiancee, the gorilla humper. He has to tell him something that he feels he should know about her. Mickey knows that she put herself through college by working as a call girl. He reluctantly tells his brother and Francis' first reaction is that Mickey is just saying that to him to alleviate his pain, to make sure that Francis does not have what was once his. Mickey then tells him that he is sorry to be the one to tell him but someone had to. He loves him after all, and hey they are brothers. Better he find out from him than from someone else when they are married. And then he follows it up with an even better encounter.

"You told him didn't you?" Heather asks Mickey.

"Yea, I did," Mickey replies without a hint of anger in his voice.

"But you said you were okay with that," she says, close to tears.

"I am," Mickey says sincerely," but he is my brother."

That is all that's said. And that is all that needs to be said. An inferior writer would of had Mickey go into some elaborate monologue about something to do with the fact that he and Francis may not see eye to eye.... and so on. But Burns hits the right note and leaves the rest up to us. 

She's The One has enough story in here for three or four movies, really. And Burns tells all of them equally. He doesn't play favourtism with any one story over the other. They are all important to him and all are allotted the same time to grow. This is one of the best films about relationships and it is certainly one of the most honest. If you think that Kevin Smith's film Chasing Amy was clever with it's dialogue, then you will love She's The One.

I have seen this film three times and The Brother's McMullen twice. They have obvious similarities but the one thing that is great about both of them is that they get better every time you watch them, and that is a sign of a great film.

Trivia:  Shot on a budget of $3 million, considerably more than the estimated budget of $20,000 that Edward Burns's previous film The Brothers McMullen (1995) cost.

A70-6467

I do not like Burns as an actor, and McGlone reminds me of Steve St. Croix, but for some reason I still liked this movie...

• Like 1

There's been a few Christian Slater films already. True Romance in the top 15, seems unlikely.

I'm seeing Clue, In the Mouth of Madness, Equilibrium, etc.

I'm always a man for Memento, despite it's love there are still so many that haven't seen it. Maybe Lock Stock, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Though I will say a lot of his films have been about Eroticism to a degree. Who knows, maybe Showgirls will show up in the top 10.

Edited by Thegun

There's been a few Christian Slater films already. True Romance in the top 15, seems unlikely.

I'm seeing Clue, In the Mouth of Madness, Equilibrium, etc.

I'm always a man for Memento, despite it's love there are still so many that haven't seen it. Maybe Lock Stock, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Though I will say a lot of his films have been about Eroticism to a degree. Who knows, maybe Showgirls will show up in the top 10.

Perhaps Baumer has a thing for Slater? If not True Romance, then perhaps Natural Born Killers. Have to admit that I am not sure which films are valid to this list. But if Basic Instinct is ok, then I guess any movie from the 90's should be ok ?

Such a huge fan of Sleepaway Camp. That chef is one of the nastiest creeps you'll ever see on film, and he may not even make the cut in a modern movie. And yet he was hilarious.

Loved the sequels too, for the most part they just aimed for pure fun with those.

8 hours ago, RandomJC said:

Tremors is the best film ever made. I'm not joking as much as some may thing. It's my favorite flick.

ALL THE LIKES

Tremors is probably the one movie I have seen the most amount of times.

Earl: Is this a job for an intelligent man?
Val: Well, show me one and I'll ask him.

:lol:

• Like 2

True Romance is definitely one of my favorites butt I did not include it in this list because I just assumed at this point everything that Quentin Tarantino has done for the most part has been seen by most of our members. Quentin Tarantino is a pretty popular guy at these boards. So True Romance will not be making this list.

True Romance is definitely one of my favorites butt I did not include it in this list because I just assumed at this point everything that Quentin Tarantino has done for the most part has been seen by most of our members. Quentin Tarantino is a pretty popular guy at these boards. So True Romance will not be making this list.

Perhaps Natural Born Killers?

The list will be done by tomorrow.

There's some really well known films coming up.  Here's a hint for a few of them.

A weather sign in LA has all the answers

Joey Pants sports a red Mohawk and talks about Columbian neckties

35 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Joey Pants sports a red Mohawk and talks about Columbian neckties

I bleeping love this movie.  I thought I was one of the only people that even knew it existed let alone enjoy the awesomeness of it :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Stingray said:

ALL THE LIKES

Tremors is probably the one movie I have seen the most amount of times.

Earl: Is this a job for an intelligent man?
Val: Well, show me one and I'll ask him.

:lol:

I was literally brought up on that film. Since it came out, I've been watching it. I know what movie I'm watching tonight.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 75live said:

I bleeping love this movie.  I thought I was one of the only people that even knew it existed let alone enjoy the awesomeness of it :D 

I debated putting it at number one. But ultimately I figured number one shold be really well known.

• Like 1