Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

Counting box office in dollars is a nice and comfortable lie, like America's economy.

It tells a very little part of the overral story.

With admissions, the Hollywood industry wouldn't have pseudo records to gloat about each year, each month, yaddi, yadda zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Force Awakens sold about the same number of tickets as Phantom Menace, you know, the supposedly horrible Star Wars film that had HORRIBLE word of mouth.

"Real sets, practical effects" my ass.

How about real box office numbers for a change, 'MURICA ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Counting box office in dollars is a nice and comfortable lie, like America's economy.

With admissions, the Hollywood industry wouldn't have pseudo records to gloat about each year, each month, yaddi, yadda zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Force Awakens sold about the same number of tickets as Phantom Menace, you know, the supposedly horrible Star Wars film that had HORRIBLE word of mouth.

You are bonkers.

Just now, The Futurist said:

FUCK ME. 

No it did not sell "about the same" admissions as TPM, and you're absolutely right, this is why we need admission reports. 

2 minutes ago, ThatOneSausage said:

FUCK NO.  She was awful in Pan and that obviously shows she didn't deserve any of this.  She has to keep a consistent acting record in her movies. 

Jennifer Jason Leigh should've won, but of course, the Oscars have a Tarantino bias.  Sigh

Hell no. People don't even remember who JJL is. What was the last thing she was in that people actually watched? Road to Perdition LOL. Mara's last big hit was Dragon Tatoo, but Lion's gonna explode in the box office, and she'll usurp J-Law's throne. HAIL QUEEN MARA!

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

FUCK ME. 

No it did not sell "about the same" admissions as TPM, and you're absolutely right, this is why we need admission reports. 

Admission reports would make everyone depressed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

FUCK ME. 

It did, go ask Redfirebird.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Do you realize the drastic changes the DOM market has suffered? We barely have movies in the 200-299M range anymore. It is either feast or famine. Because of 3D and IMAX one could say it is easier. But it just seems nowadays attentions seem to focus on a movie at the time and everything else doesnt exist.

Movies in the 200M range adjusted for inflation since 2008:

2015: 5 (Actual 4)

2014: 12 (Actual 10)

2013: 8 (Actual 9)

2012: 6 (Actual 6)

2011: 6 (Actual 5)

2010: 4 (Actual 6)

2009: 8 (Actual 7)

2008: 6 (Actual 3)

Nothing has really changed.

• Like 1

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Hell no. People don't even remember who JJL is. What was the last thing she was in that people actually watched? Road to Perdition LOL. Mara's last big hit was Dragon Tatoo, but Lion's gonna explode in the box office, and she'll usurp J-Law's throne. HAIL QUEEN MARA!

At least JJL HAS ACTUAL TALENT AND DOESNT PICK SHITTY PROJECTS.  Like who does Mara think she was by deciding to be on fucking PAN.  

While Mara did Pan in between those two films, Leigh did THE MACHINIST, SYNECDOCHE NEW YORK, SPECTACULAR NOW, AND ANOMALISA.  Meanwhile, Morgan is going to make BANK at the box office.  Just you wait.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

True.

You would have one or two records broken per year, at best.

I wanted to ask RTH if the admissions' numbers are produced by Rentrak or not ?

How does Mojo come up with the number of admissions per year in the US of A ?

Just now, ThatOneSausage said:

At least JJL HAS ACTUAL TALENT AND DOESNT PICK SHITTY PROJECTS.  Like who does Mara think she was by deciding to be on fucking PAN.  

While Mara did Pan in between those two films, Leigh did THE MACHINIST, SYNECDOCHE NEW YORK, SPECTACULAR NOW, AND ANOMALISA.  Meanwhile, Morgan is going to make BANK at the box office.  Just you wait.

Morgan is so good and has FOX so full of trust in it that they already cancelled his release in most OS markets lol.

Just now, CJohn said:

Morgan is so good and has FOX so full of trust in it that they already cancelled his release in most OS markets lol.

Thats because OS markets won't understand the depth and true nature and complexity of Morgan.  Releasing it there would be a waste.  Morgan will be a true crowd pleaser for the ages.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Not really. It would elevate the true modern day box office phenoms like TDK, Avatar, and TFA instead of giving the illusion stuff like BvS or AoU actually had mega hit level runs. Hundreds of movies in box office history have been just as or more successful as them, there's nothing special there at all. 

Not really. It would elevate the true modern day box office phenoms like TDK, Avatar, and TFA instead of giving the illusion stuff like BvS or AoU actually had mega hit level runs. Hundreds of movies in box office history have been just as or more successful as them, there's nothing special there at all. 

Dozens.

• Like 1

This has nothing to do with anything, but I was looking at the September all time numbers in anticipation of Magnificent Seven having a good shot at the all time opening weekend record and ran across the numbers for Crocodile Dundee.  

I know it was popular, but had absolutely no clue it did $174m domestic and $328m total.  IN FUCKING 1986!! ON A FUCKING $9M BUDGET!!  IT SOLD 46 MILLION TICKETS!!

That is like a near $400m domestic and $725m overall on a $20m budget today.  

The entire trilogy made $606m which is $1.4b today on a roughly $70m total production budget.  

It might be the most astounding thing I have ever heard of.  

• Like 15

STOP TALKING ABOUT CBM'S AND BLOCKBUSTERS.  WE ONLY ARGUE ABOUT DRAMAS, COMEDIES, AND OSCAR BAIT.  WE HATE TRANSFORMERS, CBM'S, STAR WARS, AND ANY OTHER BLOCKBUSTERS.  HAIL INDIES AND AFFECTING DRAMAS AND FUNNY COMEDIES. NO MORE OF THIS SHIT.

• Like 2

Why are the mods not putting the foot down and stop these tiring circular debates/fan wars lol? 

From my point of view, there's no more fresh water in those wells, they're all thoroughly poisoned already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Why are the mods not putting the foot down and stop these tiring circular debates/fan wars lol? 

From my point of view, there's no more fresh water in those wells, they're all thoroughly poisoned already.

From Decay, we are reborn.

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Only because people can't look past their bias for whatever "side" and see facts. The plainly obvious facts I might add. When someone says "MCU is a more successful and better received franchise than DCEU", it is literally a factual statement backed up by a ton of data, not a biased opinion. There's no argument to be had. That's why I don't understand how the argument continues, even when numbers and statistics are laid out. 

• Like 1