Plain Old Tele

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

About half of this is really, really good. The ending is much superior to the book, if unnecessarily complex. There's more poetry to be found here than in any Burton film for a long time. Eva Green is a goddess and her goodbye scene was perfect. We get to know the children much more than in the book and it's quite exciting when they all start fighting back.

A quarter of it is so odd. I don't know how I feel about SLJ's performance or that whole Blackpool set-piece in general. There's an eyeball scene that has to be seen to be believed.

Asa's good at the awkward loner but the script lets him down for when he has to become 'the hero'.

I'm quite annoyed at Tim for hiring two guys to effectively write a Danny Elfman score; that's boring. They don't have Elfman's knack for melody at all.

We'll see how it holds up but I'm thinking it's pretty good, mid-tier Burton.

The best thing about this film was the villian by Samual Jackson which brought a lot of humor. Theres nothing inherently bad about this film but there is not much good either. Its sort of just cutting it down the middle. If you like the trailers or a fan of the book go and see it but I can't recommend it otherwise.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Lol did Jake fall in love with his grandpa's ex? Like it'd pretty implied she and his grandpa were a thing. Kinda creepy.

Also did not understand how time loops worked at all. How did the 1943 island time loop end with everyone in the present but the 2016 time loop ended with the kids going back to 1943 and Jake staying in January 2016?

Also are there two Jake now? Like I guess that is why the grandpa gave him money to find the girl. Can you imagine the convo with his parents if that was the only Jake?

I did have fun though.

B

Die hard Burtoner. Ugh. Needed to drink after seeing that stale imitation. The real Burton makes that from Sam Jackson's viewpoint.

The Good... People eating eyeballs after Jackson says bon appetit. And, Jackson.

The Bad... Everything else.

The Ugly... Realizing Burton's last great flick will forever remain a reworking of Willy Wonka.

Fuck, man. Just... Fuck.

C-/D+

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is at its best when we're not at the titular home. Burton's fascination with the terror of the mundane has always been one of his best attributes, and although this rarely goes anywhere new, it still leads to a lot of humor and intriguing shots. It also helps that the modern world has a much better cast than the peculiar one, the latter of which is only brightened by some Samuel L. Jackson ham and a bizarre Judi Dench cameo. The scenes in the home are forgettable and lack any magic Burton is clearly attempting to bring, outside of a short stop-motion segment. It's only when the third act arrives when an actually exciting setpiece occurs, mainly thanks to the sheer oddness of what actually occurs. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is perfectly watchable, but that's all it is, which feels like a colossal disappointment. D+

Very strange film, yet it was rather fun and not that bad. (Well it was Tim Burton afterall). I loved the sets and the visuals to the film. And I thought SLJ was pretty good as the rather B-movie type villain. Was much better then I was expecting it to be.

B