Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

On 12/18/2018 at 6:00 AM, aabattery said:

They Shall Not Grow Old. It's not eligible for Best Documentary.

It isn't? Pity. That was breathtaking.

I hope PJ will now finally make a movie out of As Nature Made Him. No spectacle... just drama. 

And that the script-writing team surrounding Jackson takes a break from the enxt projects...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

It isn't? Pity. That was breathtaking.

I hope PJ will now finally make a movie out of As Nature Made Him. No spectacle... just drama. 

And that the script-writing team surrounding Jackson takes a break from the enxt projects...

But they won all the oscars ?

28 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

But they won all the oscars ?

But since LotR their passion seemed to stand in the way of their projects.

I regard them highly... but either fresh blood or a different scriptwriting team might help.

Or simply doing something like "As Nature Made Him". Going more the "Heavenly Creature" path. Not a blockbuster.

2 minutes ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

But since LotR their passion seemed to stand in the way of their projects.

I regard them highly... but either fresh blood or a different scriptwriting team might help.

Or simply doing something like "As Nature Made Him". Going more the "Heavenly Creature" path. Not a blockbuster.

"Not a blockbuster" don't pay rent and lots of people's livelihood depend on PJ's projects in New Zealand.

26 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

"Not a blockbuster" don't pay rent and lots of people's livelihood depend on PJ's projects in New Zealand.

Well firstly there are much more movies made in NZ these days. Not just those by PJ and team. And secondly doing a smaller production now wouldn't prevent him from also planning a bigger one (like Dambusters).

I thought it was fine though could've been better when I saw it earlier this week. Mortal Engines was my Star Wars substitute this December and I had a better time than I did with the real McCoy from a year ago. Genre fans should consider giving it a shot but it won't turn anyone else into believers. Directed by a first time director and VFX guy and that shows a lot in the visuals in the movie which resemble concept art. The trailer is pretty representative of the movie (if you disliked the trailer the movie won't do anything to change people's minds I think and vice versa) though the characters of Tom, Valentine, and Katherine are the other major POV characters besides Hester that aren't as represented in the marketing as they are in the actual movie. It's obviously not going to be a box office success story but I'm glad stuff like this still gets made.

• Like 1

Some more Shay thoughts on why this was doomed to fail:

It had one single selling point: steampunk. And no one cares about steampunk, as the Shay wrote a month ago. It's a narrow niche. AND they showed only the ugliest parts (of the first half) in all trailers. Had they shown instead the aerial scenes and Asian sets of the second half - it would have helped a lot. The book is not famous enough, the actors are nobodies, the story is tedious. So why should anybody like this? The Hobbit had so much more. Even The Hunger Games I still hate had actors, public and drive - so they captured the mindless YA female crowd. Mortal Engines couldn't even do that, they were not equipped to.

• Like 2

Ends it's run with a spectacularly awful 2.1 multiplier. Second lowest for December behind Aeon Flux and lowest for a holiday week release in December

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $15,951,040    19.5%
Foreign:  $65,700,000    80.5%

Worldwide:  $81,651,040  
Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend:  $7,559,850
(#5 rank, 3,103 theaters, $2,436 average)
% of Total Gross:  47.4%
> View All 5 Weekends
Widest Release:  3,103 theaters
Close Date:  January 17, 2019
In Release:  35 days / 5 weeks
The Players