Friday the 13th (2009)

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Friday the 13th (2009)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Written February 18th 2009I'll try not to get all nostalgic in this review and I'll try to contain some of my excitement, but Friday the 13th the reboot is nothing short of awesome. I have been a fan, of course, since I was perhaps 10 years old. The first four films are some of the better 80's horror films and The Final Chapter is, in my opinion, one of the ten best horror films ever made. The efforts after the fourth ranged from good to abhorrent. This series clearly needed some new and fresh minds to work on it and who better to resurrect a horror icon than the same team that gave us The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake? Michael Bay, Brad Fuller (and the rest) and Marus Nispel should be very proud of what they have done here. They have taken the biggest horror icon of the last 50 years and breathed new life into him. With films like Friday 9, Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X, the series and the character had nowhere else to go but up. In short, the 8th through 10th were embarrassing films and they tarnished a once proud horror franchise to the point of needing an absolution. This is that absolution.Fuller and company did their research and they found out what endeared the series to so many people. From 1980-1984, these films were made for less than 2 million dollars and three of them went onto to gross more than 30 million dollars. They were huge profit makers for Paramount. Jason was mean, he was unmerciful and the formula for the films were very consistent. You needed nudity, killings every few minutes and you needed characters that you didn't necessarily care about but that behaved in a certain way. By the time The Final Chapter hit, the craft of creating a Friday film was molded nicely. Joseph Zito upped the ante by going a few steps further. This current Friday the 13th feels and behaves like an early Friday film.We start off at Camp Crystal Lake on June 13th, 1980. We basically skip all of the original Friday as Mrs. Voorhees gets beheaded within the first five minutes of the film. We cut ahead to 2009 where 5 kids are hiking in the Crystal Lake woods in search of some weed. We have the customary two couples and the tag along geeky/smart guy. They decide to camp just beyond the camp that has been shut down for 30 years. In a beautiful homage to Friday the 13th part II, Wade tells the story about how the events from part one took place. Soon after people go off to have sex or talk about important things deep in the woods. Wade goes off to find the weed and then all hell breaks loose. Jason, sans hockey mask, pretty much slaughters everyone and after some of the most brutal deaths in any Friday the 13th, the Friday the 13th logo comes up on screen. It is perhaps the best beginning to any Friday film and the audience cheered when the logo comes up.The rest of the film has more kids going to Crystal Lake and then you have a character, played by Jared Padalecki, who is hunting for his missing sister. His name is Caly Miller, another nice homage to the original series creator Victor Miller. He is the best part of the film acting wise and he is also tall and broad and fills the screen so that when he goes one on one with Jason, you actually believe he can do some of the things he does.Friday the 13th is a beautiful film for fans like me. The producers, imo, researched the great things about the originals and they listened. There are some complaints about the film from some, but again, in my opinion, all of these complaints can be explained.First of all Jason did run in part 2 and 3 and 4. I'm not going to list every time he ran, but think of the time he chased Chris in part 3. Also, when he does the kidnapping in this one, it is a bit of an extension of his character, but this could of happened as if he were behaving like Part 2. In the second film, he lived in the woods and had his mom's head enshrined. He is a man, and he has to eat and sleep and do other things. They explained why she was kidnapped. I had no issues with this at all.Friday the 13th the reboot is on par with Texas Chainsaw Massacre the reboot. I can only hope they give A Nightmare on Elm Street this much care. Please do not make Freddy a comedian. If you can treat him the way you treated Jason, all will be right with the horror world.9/10

• Like 2

I'm watching this right now considering today is Friday the 13th. I remember watching this in theaters and my friends and I loved it. We joked around at the beginning when Jason kills all the teens that were camping and looking for weed. When the Friday the 13th logo popped on, we were like "man, that movie was short" because by that point it was already intense with a lot of killing. This is one of my favorite reboots.

• Like 2

Typical Platinum Dunes remake. Which is not a good thing. Better than the Nightmare-remake, but worse than the Texas-remake. Too polished for its own good. That fake grittiness its shot with makes it look too clean and crisp, which is not a good look for a Friday movie. On the plus side, it does have a killer opening and the best pair of knockers in the whole franchise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm still pissed they killed off Danielle Panabaker. It made me hate the sister. I wanted Clay and Jenna to live. Ugh.

I agree with Baumer though. Jared Padalecki was a great choice. He's hot, and he's believable.

The last time I saw this film was the day it came out, so I have to see it again. I liked it though, but I wasn't blown away.

• Like 1