Plain Old Tele

Monday Numbers, Dec 19 | R1 17.596M

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Deadpool grossed $419M WW without China and an R rating but that's "mediocre." 

I can't with how folks like to throw around the word "average" and "mediocre," when it comes to box office numbers. 

For an R-Rated movie it's very good you are right. But when you call a movie an event you don't care about what rating it has.Or you will say an R rated event  movie? That being said, 400m for a blockbuster is just OK..mediocre..

6 minutes ago, jb007 said:

Event movies have huge early buzz with people following them for months before release supplemented with good pre-sales. I don't think Deadpool qualifies with that criteria. But it was a phenom in its after release performance. But that does not make it an event.

BvS was an event. Its run was pathetic. 

RO is an event and the early run seems to be pointing towards a phenomenal run too. 

Considering it made almost 800m without the help of China or 3d surcharge (probably as big as civil war all things considered) and eliminating anyone under 18 from Watching it, I'd say it was a pretty big event for adults. Now if you're a child still in school I can understand when you say Rogue one is more of an event.

Its easy to say 'this film is the bigger event because it made this much more etc' but let's face it, imagine how much more it would have made of the kids that desperately wanted to see this in cinemas actually did? Considering under 18's are roughly 50% of the comic book movie audience, it's hard not to be more impressed by deadpool and any adult working with other adults will know what i mean when I say deadpool is still widely talked about even now. I'd say that staying power gives it the right to be an event. Events are memorable at the end of the day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

No major Star Wars movie is easily forgotten. 

People still debate endlessly about movies like Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace.

Rogue One has the distinction of being the first Star Wars anthology/spin off films and one of Disney's first experimental Star Wars films.

I forgot about TFA the moment I watched Rogue One. 

Not everyone is enamored by the Star Wars franchise. And just remember im one of those folks who knows just how big the Star Wars franchise is and was defending Rogue One when FB came out. 

I enjoyed Rogue One. But I don't consider it the end all be all. When the next Star Wars film comes out, I will probably forget all about it. 

18 minutes ago, JeepCSC said:

The most important character in Rogue One is named Darth Vader, and it is likely the film will be remembered as him at his absolute best. I don't think that will be forgotten any time soon. They carved his face on the National Cathedral.

10 years from now when people mention Darth vadar, rogue one won't be the first film they think off lol

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

For an R-Rated movie it's very good you are right. But when you call a movie an event you don't care about what rating it has.Or you will say an R rated event  movie? That being said, 400m for a blockbuster is just OK..mediocre..

Deadpool wasn't supposed to be a blockbuster.

And in that case almost every blockbuster that's come out this year minus CW and BvS have mediocre numbers world wide. I think your expectations are way too high and you don't put anything in perspective. If a blockbuster makes almost $800M WW and more than half of that is from international markets how is that "mediocre?" Not every blockbuster will make $1B WW so therefore not every blockbuster is going to put up $500M+ internationally. 

But im sure Fox and company is enjoying Deadpool's mediocre numbers. They hope it can put up some mediocre numbers again. 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Deadpool wasn't supposed to be a blockbuster.

And in that case almost every blockbuster that's come out this year minus CW and BvS have mediocre numbers world wide. I think your expectations are way too high and you don't put anything in perspective. If a blockbuster makes almost $800M WW and more than half of that is from international markets how is that "mediocre?" Not every blockbuster will make $1B WW so therefore not every blockbuster is going to put up $500M+ internationally. 

But im sure Fox and company is enjoying Deadpool's mediocre numbers. They hope it can put up some mediocre numbers again. 

Yes. It's like how inception was the event of 2010, most talked about movie, most staying power, always being referenced yet it only made 800m WW, does that mean it wasn't an event?