Plain Old Tele

Monday Numbers, Dec 19 | R1 17.596M

I will admit I did not like Deadpool much as it did nothing to me as a comic book movie as it was more a spoof.

However I do agree out of all the comic book movies it was the most liked by the average film goer. (I think superhero fans liked Civil War more).

However I do not see the franchise of Deadpool lasting long unless like iron man he is thrown into a group setting.

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

Hahaha yeah ok. I loved Deadpool, it was awesome, but event movie it was not. Sleeper hit and fantastic movie though for sure. Rogue One will be remembered forever as part of a timeless franchise and Deadpool is ultimately just another comic book movie. A good one to be sure but let's not be silly.

?? rogue one is an average star wars spin off, deadpools face is more recognisable than the main character in rogue one (couldn't even remember her name, point proven ?). So I disagree with you when you say it will be remembered more when deadpools has already become an icon in just 1 year ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I will admit I did not like Deadpool much as it did nothing to me as a comic book movie as it was more a spoof.

However I do agree out of all the comic book movies it was the most liked by the average film goer. (I think superhero fans liked Civil War more).

However I do not see the franchise of Deadpool lasting long unless like iron man he is thrown into a group setting.

I agree, I believe down is the only way for deadpool, but it can't be denied that hes become very widely known since 2015 

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Well movie number two is featuring Cable and Domino along with some other characters and movie three is featuring the X-Force. So I think they know they can't have a film that's too similar to the first one in terms of story. The first one was actually supposed to have other characters in it but they didn't have the budget for it. 

But to be completely honest with you, I can see the GA maybe getting sick of Deadpool but not comic book fans. They clearly love the character. It's all about just making sure they keep the stories fresh in the film. 

• Like 1

Well I think that the cause of the disagreement is what each of you defies as an event-movie. I think that I would call an event a movie that pretty much everyone knows about and that gets people who are not casual movie-goers to get to see this. It is a movie that is not just doing well compared to other movies but compared to other cultural phenomenoms from other fields as well like music,gaming,TV etc. That being said, I wouldn't call Deadpool an event. It was a big and rather unexpected hit but its numbers are far from astonishing. But my definition of an event is very strict. I don't think I can call a movie an event If it doesn't gets to a billion at least ww...And even then, I can thing of a bunch of movies that grossed 1b and yet don't feel like an event to me.

Also, I forgot to mention that in order for a film to be considered an event, it has to be very successful on a global scale and Deadpool's numbers OS are kind of mediocre

Don't kid yourself guys....

Rogue one is a star wars film in the end.

The Sw fanbase will needlessly obess over it for years and to end time likely.

Look at Rots...it's rather average but it's still known today rather well because it's star wars.

Event movies have huge early buzz with people following them for months before release supplemented with good pre-sales. I don't think Deadpool qualifies with that criteria. But it was a phenom in its after release performance. But that does not make it an event.

BvS was an event. Its run was pathetic. 

RO is an event and the early run seems to be pointing towards a phenomenal run too. 

4 minutes ago, Jessie said:

?? rogue one is an average star wars spin off, deadpools face is more recognisable than the main character in rogue one (couldn't even remember her name, point proven ?). So I disagree with you when you say it will be remembered more when deadpools has already become an icon in just 1 year ?

The most important character in Rogue One is named Darth Vader, and it is likely the film will be remembered as him at his absolute best. I don't think that will be forgotten any time soon. They carved his face on the National Cathedral.

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

Hahaha yeah ok. I loved Deadpool, it was awesome, but event movie it was not. Sleeper hit and fantastic movie though for sure. Rogue One will be remembered forever as part of a timeless franchise and Deadpool is ultimately just another comic book movie. A good one to be sure but let's not be silly.

A sleeper hit is not a film that makes blockbuster numbers. How can you say that a film that opened to $132M not be an event movie? Rogue One will be forgotten about the next time another Star Wars film comes out. Whereas the first stand alone Deadpool film isn't going to be forgotten about because it posted gigantic numbers for an R rated film and because it was fantastic. People said it would be forgotten about when it first came out and here we are still talking about it. 

14 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Because simply put it had better WOM amongst the GA

Well if you're basing reception on legs, Avatar was better recieved than just about any movie in the last few years.

Overall I'd say reception to RO has been great.

Deadpool simply had much more room to grow in terms of popularity and box office.

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well I think that the cause of the disagreement is what each of you defies as an event-movie. I think that I would call an event a movie that pretty much everyone knows about and that gets people who are not casual movie-goers to get to see this. It is a movie that is not just doing well compared to other movies but compared to other cultural phenomenoms from other fields as well like music,gaming,TV etc. That being said, I wouldn't call Deadpool an event. It was a big and rather unexpected hit but its numbers are far from astonishing. But my definition of an event is very strict. I don't think I can call a movie an event If it doesn't gets to a billion at least ww...And even then, I can thing of a bunch of movies that grossed 1b and yet don't feel like an event to me.

Also, I forgot to mention that in order for a film to be considered an event, it has to be very successful on a global scale and Deadpool's numbers OS are kind of mediocre

Deadpool grossed $419M WW without China and an R rating but that's "mediocre." 

I can't with how folks like to throw around the word "average" and "mediocre," when it comes to box office numbers. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

A sleeper hit is not a film that makes blockbuster numbers. How can you say that a film that opened to $132M not be an event movie? Rogue One will be forgotten about the next time another Star Wars film comes out. Whereas the first stand alone Deadpool film isn't going to be forgotten about because it posted gigantic numbers for an R rated film and because it was fantastic. People said it would be forgotten about when it first came out and here we are still talking about it. 

No major Star Wars movie is easily forgotten. 

People still debate endlessly about movies like Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace.

Rogue One has the distinction of being the first Star Wars anthology/spin off films and one of Disney's first experimental Star Wars films.

• Like 2