Plain Old Tele

Monday Numbers, Dec 19 | R1 17.596M

The event movie this year imo is still deadpool. 360m for an R rated movie everyone was convinced and hoping would flop ends up being one of the best received blockbusters of the year, more so than rogue one. People are still talking about that film, and surprisingly especially women.

• Like 2

Hahaha yeah ok. I loved Deadpool, it was awesome, but event movie it was not. Sleeper hit and fantastic movie though for sure. Rogue One will be remembered forever as part of a timeless franchise and Deadpool is ultimately just another comic book movie. A good one to be sure but let's not be silly.

13 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Hahaha yeah ok. I loved Deadpool, it was awesome, but event movie it was not. Sleeper hit and fantastic movie though for sure. Rogue One will be remembered forever as part of a timeless franchise and Deadpool is ultimately just another comic book movie. A good one to be sure but let's not be silly.

That's like saying Back to the Future 3 will be remembered forever as part of a timeless franchise but any classic Eddie Murphy comedy from the 80's will be just another comedy.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

A better question is will R1 be remembered more than any of the Episodes? I'm not certain. Possibly more than Clones...

• Like 2

I don't see how Deadpool wasn't an event movie. A minor comic character that no one really paid attention to, and suddenly that movie exploded onto the scene, destroying the opening weekend record for February and finishing ahead of a movie about two much much more prominent and beloved comic characters, yes, that was an event movie. It came rather sudden and wasn't really something lots of people where looking forward to months and months in advance, but that doesn't make its release itself anything less of an event.

I don't see how one can say that "people still talk about this film" though. I mean, sure, people might occasionally mention it, because that's true for most movies of decent size, but at this point it's more or less a thing of the past already. It didn't leave a huge enough mark to be anything more than the flavour of the month that was liked a lot at its time, though its rather unique style for a comic movie might lead to more anticipation when it comes to the (possible) sequel.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jessie said:

The event movie this year imo is still deadpool. 360m for an R rated movie everyone was convinced and hoping would flop ends up being one of the best received blockbusters of the year, more so than rogue one. People are still talking about that film, and surprisingly especially women.

I also disagree with this. 

How is Deadpool better recieved?

Fans of RO are also very passionate about the movie.

During the weekends there is a higher chance to get a visit, especially as it is actually the midths if the week and still rather early like 7:55 around New York, 4:55 in LA (both in the morning), and even earlier in Alaska...

And BO hinting people work during the weekdays... (and partly live where it is already night again)

As far as I remember, the time of day where the dailies get split up as 'belongs to day...' is not midnight.

And...

Might be still 6 hours+ till we get some (but during runs like that, outlets like deadline often tries to be the first even during weekdays nowadays,... so maybe...

29 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

A better question is will R1 be remembered more than any of the Episodes? I'm not certain. Possibly more than Clones...

Most people put the Disney Star Wars movies way ahead of the prequels and just behind the OT.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Most people put the Disney Star Wars movies way ahead of the prequels and just behind the OT.

I understand that but, whether for the right reasons or wrong reason, Menace and Sith were seen by an obscene number of people DOM, especially Menace. I imagine R1 will just about match or surpass Sith's admissions DOM though. I think Sith adjusts to something like $515M DOM though I could be mistaken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

Deadpool was a flash in the pan though.

I am sure they will ruin his character in needless sequels.

I would say dead pool will be like pirates of the carribean 1.

Edited by Lordmandeep

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Disagree completely.  Far from a flash in the pan.  And with Reynolds behind the scenes, they will not ruin the character.

14 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

It seems as if you online fanboys don't care much for it bit the average movie goer does, the film has easily become the most quotable movie of the year, had very solid legs for what it was

And if it's like Potc then that just adds to my point, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Potc one of the best recieved movies amongst casual movie goers in 2003? There's a reason it's sequel was huge

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I don't see how Deadpool wasn't an event movie. A minor comic character that no one really paid attention to, and suddenly that movie exploded onto the scene, destroying the opening weekend record for February and finishing ahead of a movie about two much much more prominent and beloved comic characters, yes, that was an event movie. It came rather sudden and wasn't really something lots of people where looking forward to months and months in advance, but that doesn't make its release itself anything less of an event.

I don't see how one can say that "people still talk about this film" though. I mean, sure, people might occasionally mention it, because that's true for most movies of decent size, but at this point it's more or less a thing of the past already. It didn't leave a huge enough mark to be anything more than the flavour of the month that was liked a lot at its time, though its rather unique style for a comic movie might lead to more anticipation when it comes to the (possible) sequel.

It wasn't an event because the people not recognising it's stamp on this year are those who laughed at posters like me when we said it would break out. Now that they are wrong they have a hard time admitting it 

• Like 1