That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Why are you watching movies you don't want to see? Life is too short.

That's the flaw in his argument. If he's watching it via piracy, then he wants to see it on some level, even if it's to mock it or hate-watch it.

• Like 1

Also, there seems to be this implicit way of grouping all content and all content creators into one giant entity: "the studios" or "Hollywood" or whatever. But that's not actually what exists. There are studios, but each of them are separate entities. They purchase or finance content created by dozens if not hundreds of other production companies. Putting aside all other arguments, saying that piracy is fine because you spend money on the industry in general doesn't in fact help anyone who actually worked on the movie you pirated. The closest equivalent you can come to some sort of neutral action is purchasing something after you pirated it, but even that action still tacitly supports piracy. 

• Like 7

You only have to look at when downloads are downloaded to see that its not usually about money. Most are downloaded in the first weeks after BR release, or web release somewhere in the world. This is because its the only way to see it for most. If there was worldwide simultaneous release in digital format piracy would be greatly reduced.

Personally thats what I do so i dont have to wait a couple of months for it to be on one of my paid subs. If the torrent weren't there i would just have to wait, either way the cost to me and the revenue to them is the same, and its true for a lot of torrenters in my experience.

30 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Don't need to, i have a DVD and Blu-Ray collection that i add to all the time.

Good, but just because you support one movie doesn't mean jack for all the people who worked on the other movies you're watching. Find a way to pay even a little something for all the movies you watch. They deserve it, even if you ultimately don't like the film.

Edited by elcaballero
  • Like 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

I can only judge these things based on people I know in my life. 

Piracy is rife. People don't think anything of it and even tweet/status update that they're watching them. Hence the huge effect it's had on bluray/DVD sales. 

Sure you've got Netflix and Amazon prime etc, but they don't have the first run movies people are interested in. 

I would say it's true effect comes once bluray rips or HD rips from Asia become readily available.

Those that watch CAM's aren't really people that would pay to watch anything so I kind of don't count them. 

People who used to buy DVD's/blurays are absolutely downloading them instead now, in droves. They don't think anything of it. 

Its been a delight that this year's Oscar screeners haven't leaked (yet). This year I'll actually get to see the movies in cinemas before the pirates addicted to downloading rips for free. 

I talk to people who have paid to see a movie who genuinely believe if they've paid to see it once there's nothing wrong in downloading it to watch again and again. 

It's a culture problem. There's more the ISP's can do, certainly. Yet a generation think they can get everything for free now, so why pay? They'll take the risk as in their eyes 'everyone does it'. They don't take into account the millions of people who rely on films making money to make a living. It's a sorry state of affairs and I'm really not sure what the answer is. 

The internet, as great as it is, has basically given people free reign to just do what they like without consequence. A virtual space for them to metaphorically go into a store and steal films/music/tv and leave smiling. 

I do enjoy calling people I know out on it though. We need to all do our bit to discourage people we know. 

I actually paid to see The Revenant last year, twice, after watching the screener. I wasn't really bothered about the film beforehand but the film blew me away so i paid to see it. You would be surprised how often that happens with people who pirate stuff.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

The closest equivalent you can come to some sort of neutral action is purchasing something after you pirated it, but even that action still tacitly supports piracy. 

Putting legalities aside, isn't this ultimately the system film fanatics aspire to? Would you disagree that the film industry would be better for it?

3 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Also, there seems to be this implicit way of grouping all content and all content creators into one giant entity: "the studios" or "Hollywood" or whatever. But that's not actually what exists. There are studios, but each of them are separate entities. They purchase or finance content created by dozens if not hundreds of other production companies. Putting aside all other arguments, saying that piracy is fine because you spend money on the industry in general doesn't in fact help anyone who actually worked on the movie you pirated. The closest equivalent you can come to some sort of neutral action is purchasing something after you pirated it, but even that action still tacitly supports piracy. 

Again false. Watch or not they get no money either way. This isnt a tax im avoiding, these companies dont deserve my money just for existing. If their product was good, popular and financed correctly it should do fine, if not, oh well, that's capitalism for you. It sucks but its how it is.

Most failed movies or TV shows went over budget, didnt do their research properly or simply were never going to make money (limited appeal, expensive to realise). Piracy or lack there of wouldnt have saved them. Sci-fi isnt as popular as it once was, its expensive to make and the audience, while a decent size, is fickle. Stargate Universe died because it was expensive and no one liked it, no one bothered pirating it either. GoT is super popular, massively expensive.. and the most pirated show in history, still makes a profit, will run for as long as the show runners want it to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Good, but just because you support one movie doesn't mean jack for all the people who worked on the other movies you're watching. Find a way to pay even a little something for all the movies you watch. They deserve it, even if you ultimately don't like the film.

Actually under UK law (where i am) most things can be retuned if you didnt like it, EXCEPT media. Even food! Make it possible to return a crap movie and i'll stop instantly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Actually under UK law (where i am) most things can be retuned if you didnt like it, EXCEPT media. Even food! Make it possible to return a crap movie and i'll stop instantly.

Like your lazy ass wouldn't use that to refund your subscriptions every single month.

6 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Again false. Watch or not they get no money either way. This isnt a tax im avoiding, these companies dont deserve my money just for existing. If their product was good, popular and financed correctly it should do fine, if not, oh well, that's capitalism for you. It sucks but its how it is.

Most failed movies or TV shows went over budget, didnt do their research properly or simply were never going to make money (limited appeal, expensive to realise). Piracy or lack there of wouldnt have saved them. Sci-fi isnt as popular as it once was, its expensive to make and the audience, while a decent size, is fickle. Stargate Universe died because it was expensive and no one liked it, no one bothered pirating it either. GoT is super popular, massively expensive.. and the most pirated show in history, still makes a profit, will run for as long as the show runners want it to.

I'm not even sure what your argument is here. No one sets out to make a "bad" movie (putting aside the fact that somehow your opinion should be what determines a "bad" movie for everyone else).

The fact that GOT manages to make a profit (or, more specifically, generates enough ongoing subscribers to keep HBO afloat) in spite of being massively pirated is beside the point. 

Basically, your argument comes down to, "I'm going to do what I want and fuck everyone else." 

Okay, great?

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

The entitlement here is astonishing. 

I don't know if this is directed at me, but you wouldn't prefer that the movies you loved got rewarded the most as opposed to the ones that just had the best marketing campaigns and/or franchise appeal?

I'm not being rhetorical, I'd seriously be interested in a comparative defense of the "pay-before-viewing" model.

Edited by tribefan695

Just now, Grand Moff Tele said:

I'm not even sure what your argument is here. No one sets out to make a "bad" movie (putting aside the fact that somehow your opinion should be what determines a "bad" movie for everyone else).

The fact that GOT manages to make a profit (or, more specifically, generates enough ongoing subscribers to keep HBO afloat) in spite of being massively pirated is beside the point. 

Its exactly the point. Quality works, if your project was killed by piracy then something in the chain failed. Either it was poor quality itself, or the distribution system was poor, all part of failed marketing, which we all know kills movies regularly.

Just now, Grand Moff Tele said:

The entitlement here is astonishing. 

Tele half the people on this forum download stuff from time to time. Its the reason why this thread is like the plague for all but a handful of posters.

Big screen tv's/home cinema, streaming services, games, social media, the internet, financial worries and ticket prices, and YES piracy. They are all things that have effected box office in recent years but studios take a cut from everything but piracy which is why its public enemy no.1.