That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

I think Piracy is bad for the industry but it is up to the movie industry to create solutions that suit clients needs and wants and desires and I think streaming services is a start. 

For example, If I wanted to rewatch Civil War now, I can simply watch it on Netflix now, while in the past people would think like this:

"should I just download it for free without any consequences in high quality or spend the 25 bucks on the Blueray?"

I can understand and respect that that to some there is no choice there as there is a clear moral choice but as we saw with the music industry... 

Shaming people for their behavior does not work because in the end the person gets to watch stuff for free...

Just now, That One Guy said:

So you can't even be bothered to pay something like $3-5 to rent it?  It's really not that hard.  Even when it's on DVD, it doesn't make it any less immoral to pirate it.

Morality is subjective based on cultural standards. It's wrong to impart your morals onto someone else.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

So you can't even be bothered to pay something like $3-5 to rent it?  It's really not that hard.  Even when it's on DVD, it doesn't make it any less immoral to pirate it.

Nope.

Though if I really like a movie I pirates, I will buy the blu Ray. 

• Like 1

Depends, really. Had a policy that I only pirate films that are at least 1 year old, and had a DVD release. One of teh reason is, Netflix is still a huge question mark in my country, so there's that. Will immediately got myself a Netflix account once it's clear here tho. Used to the same with music, but once Spotify came, I immediately switched to paid streaming.

But yikes at people that blatantly pirates films like, one week into the theatrical release. That's just flat out terrible.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Piracy is illegal.  Why would something that's illegal not be immoral?

Because morality and legality are two different things. Certainly in the US it's been long held that the legal system should not legislate on morality. To put it another way, it isn't illegal to murder someone because it's immoral, it's illegal because it harms a person that the law is meant to protect.

To reverse that, do you view everything that is legal to be moral? Looking back fifty or so years, when it was illegal for a white woman to marry a black man, was that also immoral? Or in the 1920s when it was illegal to drink, was drinking only immoral during those 13 or so years?

• Like 7

I personally don't get downloading or pirating a movie since I never have and never will.  But everyone has their own justifications so I don't judge.  I just know for myself, there is zero reason to do it so that's how i feel.

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Piracy is illegal.  Why would something that's illegal not be immoral?

I respect your ideals but I think you are being a bit naive to how humans behave and society works.

Firstly morality is not solely defined what is illegal or not its quite more complicated than that

Then think about all of the things that are illegal...

How many people smoke pot?

How many people speed 5-15 miles over the speed limit.

How many people buy contraband goods? 

If people think the consequences are low or the chances are low of being caught, people will break the law generally. I think that is how people look at pirating movies. That is why I argue that better alternatives to allow for greater use and fewer restrictions over movies such as streaming services will dampen piracy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Alright, so I think the only case where I'm fine with piracy is if someone lives in a foreign country and the distributor decides to not even make a movie available over there.  Because at that point, they're not even gonna give you an option.  If you do pirate it under that circumstance, then you technically wouldn't be stealing money, since the country has decided to not make it available there in the first place.  Other than that, please don't do piracy.

Problem. Considering the ever widening of the internet market place, it isn't difficult to purchase something from another country, even if it isn't officially distributed in yours.

• Like 1

Me personally, I do what I can to avoid pirating movies and TV, I only tend to do so if I have no legal avenue to access these things in the UK. That mainly revolves around trying to get hold of Asian movies and some anime, but that's about it. Movies I can wait for because 99% of them will make it to my massive local theatres that I pay a monthly rate for. 

• Like 2