That One Girl

Film Piracy (opinions and box office effect)

3 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Yeah because the movie/TV industry get no special treatment at all. They drop their entitlement ill drop mine. Where is my tax break, my creative accounting, my packaging of services and skills?

Again, you're arguing against some monolithic boogeyman instead of taking into account the literally tens of thousands of people who actually make up the sum total of the industry. If you have a beef with multinational companies, that's fine.... then don't consume their content! Wanting to have it both ways is just papering over hypocracy. 

• Like 7

Just now, cannastop said:

Your argument is that you should be able to watch anything you want for no additional cost because you're so special. No special refuting is needed.

Then cry me a river. Right now the movie industry is like a car company with dealers only open one hour a day in 2 places country wide, then getting upset when people only buy second hand.The distribution system is so bad its doomed to fail and causes the very thing it fears. Its like they would rather you steal it than pay for it sometimes.

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I don't know if this is directed at me, but you wouldn't prefer that the movies you loved got rewarded the most as opposed to the ones that just had the best marketing campaigns and/or franchise appeal?

It wasn't directed at you. :) 

If I could wave my hand, I'd make some streaming rental service available that, say, offered studio library titles as part of a simple, affordable monthly plan, with perhaps some tiered rental pricing for new releases: 99 cents up to a couple of bucks or so. Basically the digital equivalent of what really big video stores used to be. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Again, you're arguing against some monolithic boogeyman instead of taking into account the literally tens of thousands of people who actually make up the sum total of the industry. If you have a beef with multinational companies, that's fine.... then don't consume their content! Wanting to have it both ways is just papering over hypocracy. 

If i dont consume the content then you still get no money! Im not sure what your argument is. It doesnt matter who makes a thing, if its good and well marketed it will usually do fine, if not, its gone. Plenty of people make physical goods that arent pirated in any way yet still fail, so, whats your point?

7 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Tele half the people on this forum download stuff from time to time. Its the reason why this thread is like the plague for all but a handful of posters.

Yes, and I have some sympathy for some of the arguments that have been mentioned in the thread, even if I don't necessarily agree. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

It wasn't directed at you. :) 

If I could wave my hand, I'd make some streaming rental service available that, say, offered studio library titles as part of a simple, affordable monthly plan, with perhaps some tiered rental pricing for new releases: 99 cents up to a couple of bucks or so. Basically the digital equivalent of what really big video stores used to be. 

That would kill piracy, or at least reduce it significantly. It would also kill the media monopolies in broadcast media, which the studios are also part, so it will never happen.

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Finding stuff would probably be a lot easier if all the studios invested in their own digital streaming services. All Disney films would be through disney.com, Fox films through Fox's site, Lionsgate through a Lionsgate service etc.

Absolutely, but what would the cable services do? All the utter crap channels showing old dross and reality repeats wouldn't be able to support themselves if you could actually choose what you want to pay for.

It may be that for some of the films people here are pirating are ones that are really hard to get. But for the people I know, they are films that are even easier and faster to get on Google Play or other digital platforms than on torrents, although maybe digital availability might be one or two weeks later. But that's no excuse because digital release is now happening during theatrical release, so if it's something they were really in a hurry to see they could have watched it in theatres.

I don't buy for a second that most people are pirating primarily because of convenience. Piracy exists because it's "free".

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jason said:

It may be that for some of the films people here are pirating are ones that are really hard to get. But for the people I know, they are films that are even easier and faster to get on Google Play or other digital platforms than on torrents, although maybe digital availability might be one or two weeks later. But that's no excuse because digital release is now happening during theatrical release, so if it's something they were really in a hurry to see they could have watched it in theatres.

I don't buy for a second that most people are pirating primarily because of convenience. Piracy exists because it's "free".

Are you seriously telling me that getting a movie via Google play or whatever apples version is is actually convenient? That it will look decent on my calibrated large TV, if i can even get it on that TV?

Torrents are usually for new films not out yet on pay TV or BR in your region, old movies have very very few seeders.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

It maybe that for some of the films people here are pirating are ones that are really hard to get. But for the people I know, they are films that are even easier and faster to get on Google Play or other digital platforms than on torrents, although maybe digital availability might be one or two weeks later. But that's no excuse because digital release is now happening during theatrical release, so if it's something they were really in a hurry to see they could have watched it in theatres.

If you're in the middle of the city, living independently and a movie theater's a streetcar ride away, yeah, I'd agree that that's why you're doing it. Otherwise convenience and discretion are definitely factors.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Knowing about the industry makes me MORE likely to pirate. Its fucked up, greedy and stupid. Of course there are hard working people in it, there are in every industry, it doesnt stop the front face being those things.

The movie industry could help reduce piracy a lot with no loss of revenue, possibly even an increase, but it would result in loss of power and influence, and thats just as important as money, in fact its the point of money.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

ice-cube-wtf.gif

If they did as Tele said and let you choose what you wanted then they dont have to power to influence any more, you do. No control of the media outlets, no control of the public. After a while money loses its value if you can buy all you want, after a point is only about power and influence. If you dont understand that you haven't been paying attention, especially this year. If you arent aware of how fucked up the media industry is generally you haven't been paying attention either.

Just now, GirafficPark said:

Are you seriously telling me that getting a movie via Google play or whatever apples version is is actually convenient? That it will look decent on my calibrated large TV, if i can even get it on that TV?

Torrents are usually for new films not out yet on pay TV or BR in your region, old movies have very very few seeders.

Yes, it is. It takes less than 30 seconds to grab a movie that's available on Google Play, as long as you've already done it once and set up your credit card info. All of this year's major films received a digital release while they were still available in theatres. Actually, there are some films I couldn't even easily see in a theatre near me (The Little Prince, Hunt for the Wilderpeople) that received a digital release within a few months of theatrical release.

They look very good on a large TV, very close to blu-ray quality. About as good as blu-ray rips, unless it's uncompressed. Which no one I know actually goes for, because 40 GB.

• Like 2