The Panda

Your 10 Bold 2017 Predictions

Grading my predictions...

1.    Disney/Pixar will not win the top DOM animated movie title this year - SUCCESS 
2.    It might be better to say (if this is any good), I think The Star will be $100M+ DOM...FAIL - Only is gonna make a little less than 1/2 as much...probably should never predict a movie that I haven't see a trailer to...
3.    No matter how good they are, all 5 major releases on Dec 22nd (Jumanji World, Pitch Perfect 3, Ferdinand, Downsizing, the Six Million Dollar Man) will make less than $200M DOM for their full BO runs.  Star Wars 8 will just eat the entire Domestic BO, like it did for Star Wars 7.  Now, if any move dates, they fall out of the prediction, b/c it's based on Star 8 just taking all the Christmas Family BO dollar. - FAIL (and I'm happy I failed - Go Jumanji) - Another of those "don't expect Disney to always make a great movie nor expect mediocre 90's movies to get worse sequels":)
4.    4th prediction - Coco < $200M DOM over its run.  Strange opening date when Day of the Dead will have passed weeks before, repetitive "music saves all" plot, human animated character, boy character when huge supers movie opens 5 days before, etc. - MOSTLY SUCCESS - it will go down to the wire and probably get pushed over, unless it falls out too fast, but by going down to the wire, I'm gonna give myself credit:)...
5.    Prediction #5 (A bolder one for DMan7) - Coco will not make the top 5 for animated films DOM Box Office.  I don't care how well Disney advertises this one:)...FAIL - I had Coco's total BO, but not the rest of the animated that pretty much all just failed this year...
6.    #6 Prediction: Top supers movie DOM and WW for the year is NOT Disney's...DOUBLE SUCCESS - Most proud of predicting this...
7.    Prediction #7 Snatched DOM < $50M Total.  Preview looks like awful...and there are only so many fans of the 2 leads that will show up no matter the movie. - SUCCESS (Okay, I called one comedy right this year)  
8.    Prediction #8 Pirates 5 DOM < Baywatch DOM (and 8a - Pirates OW DOM < Baywatch OW DOM) - I have that little faith in a #5 sequel and that much faith that fans may just want something really silly Memorial Day weekend (especially since Snatched will have crashed and burned) - it's a time to lighten up and party at the beach/pools, and I think Baywatch couldn't have a better timed release.  It worked for the Hangover sequels and they weren't any good...FAIL (I had the Pirates 5 underperforming right, but not the disaster that was named Baywatch)
9.    My #9 prediction - Beauty and the Beast OW DOM < $130M (I put it at $125M), but with final DOM $400M+.  I made this prediction on the BaTB game, but I figure since I seem like an outlier on it, it can count as bold here.  I feel pretty confident on this one b/c of the release date and the way women go to the movies:).  If you want more analysis, see my other posts:). SUCCESS and FAIL - Didn't get the rush factor right, but did see its huge BO possibility:)
10.    And my #10 prediction - How about a Top 10 DOM movies for the year?:)  And 10a - Star8 will be 1st by over $300M - is that its own bold prediction?:)...
1. Star Wars 8
2. Beauty and the Beast 
3. Spiderman Homecoming
4. Justice League
5. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
6. The Lego Batman Movie
7. Despicable Me 3
8. The Fate of the Furious
9. Wonder Woman
10. The Star

SUCCESS and FAIL - I saw the obvious top 2, that something unexpected late in the year would sneak in (ended up x2 with IT and Jumanji) and that DM3 and FF8 would be subpar, and WW would be good enough for top 10...but I had some big misses and my supers, while in a decent order are killed by my overestimating Lego Bats and JL and underestimating WW and Thor 3...

So, in total, I give myself 7 successes and 6 fails...better than a coin flip, which actually shocks me:)...

And TOG, great Jumanji guess, even if your other "gonna hit big" missed:)...

I may do this for 2018 again if someone does a generic bold prediction thread, b/c being bold was fun:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2017 at 4:02 PM, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Lego Ninjago over $200M

Dark Tower over $150M

Coco<Moana DOM and WW

Justice League/Spider-Man Homecoming over $1B WW

GoTGv2 over Civil War WW

Jumanji over $250M

King Arthur under $50M

The Emoji Movie over Hotel Translyvania DOM and WW

The Mummy over $200M

Pirates under $150M

Spidey/DM3 over $350M

:whosad:

2.5 right

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2017 at 1:56 PM, New Year New Panda said:

We used to have these threads yearly, so I figured I'd make one.

Heres my 10

1.Wonder Woman's OD > The Mummy DOM

2.Star Wars Episode 8 > 1 Billion DOM

3.Beauty and the Beast > 500m DOM

4.Guardians of the Galaxy 2 > Age of Ultron DOM and WW 

5.A Dog's Purpose > 100m DOM

6.Transformers: The Last Knight + Pirates 5  < 200m DOM but over 900m WW (each)

7.The Dark Tower and Dunkirk > 200m DOM (each)

8.Blade Runner 2049 > Interstellar DOM

9.Wonder Woman OW, DOM, and WW > The Justice League OW, DOM and WW

10.Coco is the biggest animated film DOM and WW?

Looks like I only got two of mine right...

• Like 1

On 1/4/2017 at 9:23 AM, Tree Billboards said:

Not that I agree with any of the other predictions but.... how would Wonder Woman beat Justice League, when she is Justice League? Surely everyone who sees Wonder Woman will be seeing Justice League anyway, plus JL will attract other crowds. Not the other way around.

:hahaha:

• Like 2