Paterson (2016)  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Man, is there anything sadder than being the first post for a movie that's been out for over a month? :lol:

Anyway, this is a delightful little story, a small modest slice of life about average people living in a small, average town. Yet it manages to be thematically bigger and broader, speaking about creativity and how it nurtures your soul and the delicate relationships between people in love (and out of love). Jarmusch takes a kind approach with his characters, being generous with them and giving them all moments of warmth as well as struggles. Driver does a fantastic job with a very subtle and naturalistic performance -- it's not the sort of role that gives him any big moments, but all the more impressive because of that.

It's a very gentle movie. I loved it.

A

• Like 2

^^ agree with everything said above.   Just watched it now.  It was nice to see a slow moving awards film away from awards season and to see how my tastes will accept it as i indulge with all the guilty pleasures coming out every week (and give them strong ratings).   A.

Edited by Matrix4You

As someone who generally can't stand contrived drama in movies it was weird to be in a position of wishing Jarmusch would introduce at least some kind of conflict here. There are compelling hints about Paterson's combat experience, and occasional incidents breaking up the order of his little world (the couple at the bar), but even that's overwhelmed by the entire thing being just so determinedly mellow and generous. Also every single poem appearing onscreen in big curvy letters made my eyes roll after a while. On the whole it's a really pleasant movie with a great actor in every role but I'm in no hurry to see it again. Prefer my Jarmusch more eccentric and stylized. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

As someone who generally can't stand contrived drama in movies it was weird to be in a position of wishing Jarmusch would introduce at least some kind of conflict here. There are compelling hints about Paterson's combat experience, and occasional incidents breaking up the order of his little world (the couple at the bar), but even that's overwhelmed by the entire thing being just so determinedly mellow and generous. Also every single poem appearing onscreen in big curvy letters made my eyes roll after a while. On the whole it's a really pleasant movie with a great actor in every role but I'm in no hurry to see it again. Prefer my Jarmusch more eccentric and stylized. 

He had a conflict with the dog :P

Admittedly I haven't seen any of his other stuff, but I found the lack of conflict refreshing. The mellow and generous thing worked pretty well for me. It was a nice palate cleanser after Age of Extinction which was essentially 100% conflict. 

Adam Driver impressed me for sure though. Dude is building up a solid résumé.

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

He had a conflict with the dog :P

Admittedly I haven't seen any of his other stuff, but I found the lack of conflict refreshing. The mellow and generous thing worked pretty well for me. It was a nice palate cleanser after Age of Extinction which was essentially 100% conflict. 

Adam Driver impressed me for sure though. Dude is building up a solid résumé.

Jarmusch is one of the most consistent filmmakers of the last 30+ years really. Up there with people like Scorsese and the Coens in that regard. If you liked this one as much as you did, that bodes well for the others whenever you get around to them. 

• Like 1