FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Not that shit again. Half of my country's population is black and yet we usually have no interest in American movies about racism because the race dynamics that happen in America are completely different from the race dynamics that happen here. It doesn't make us any more or less racists than Americans, it's just different for cultural, historical, economical and social reasons. We simply cannot relate much to these kinds of movies.

Implying that it makes us more racists than Americans just means that you're being fucking obnoxious. What an one-sided flawed view of the fucking world, expand your damn horizons before pulling crap like that out of your damn ass please.

Exactly the point I was making earlier. US/British "anti-racists" just don't get that other nations and countries do not share their own experience in relation to a great deal many things, not least of which is the "waycism" thing. We (Greeks) simply have *zero* share in their guilt about events of the 18th/19th and early 20th centuries. We have our own issues/problems/sensitivities and preferences. The same goes for any other country, each one has its own separate issues. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

"Unfriended" opened to 16 Million and grossed 32 million in TOTAL gross, does that sound like soft/normal legs to you? My point is that they are not immediately jumping on "Get Out" solely cuz of the "black" theme and a black lead (who is a hero and not a villan which is refreshing to see but it doesn't fit the narrative they want to push) who is portrayed in positive light, and that is A FACT. 

Going on that "logic", Black Panther won't be released. It's rare for an movie with a primarily African American cast to make bank overseas unless it has Will Smith and/or Denzel Washington.

Edited by YourMother

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

It's rare for an movie with a primarily African American cast to make bank overseas unless it has Will Smith and/or Denzel Washington.

but if you say this they make it about "not being able to relate to racism" Just say you can't relate to black people lmao. 

I even remember in the Sony leaks they were saying Denzel's films weren't doing well enough over seas for them because he's black lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

but if you say this they make it about "not being able to relate to racism" Just say you can't relate to black people lmao. 

I even remember in the Sony leaks they were saying Denzel's films weren't doing well enough over seas for them because he's black lol. 

But I'm Black.

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

But I'm Black.

What does that have to do with anything lol? You were saying movies with black leads don't do well overseas which I agree with. 

I'm saying whenever I say this international users say it's because their country can't relate to racism or the "Afro-American" experience lol. Like even movies that aren't about racism don't do well overseas compared to movies with white leads. 

Anyway we'll see how Black panther does. That doesn't even take place in the United States so they can't use the "Afro American" experience excuse lol. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ban1o said:

lol whatever won't discuss this. But I laugh when people say countries like Sweden have "no racism" when they are like 99% white like no duh lmao. And American movies with white leads are "universal" but American movies with black leads aren't lol. 

Like Ride Along made 130 million in the US but nothing OS. What about that film is not universal lmao

It's very simple: a) Comedies *always* under-perform outside the Anglosphere. Non-Anglophone people simply can't get the jokes (countless times I have caught myself laughing alone in the theater) b. Black-themed comedies that almost always rely on context/innuendo/slang are even more inaccessible to international audiences. c) Why would Europe or East Asia be keenly interested in Afro-American issues? Are black Americans highly intrigued about the subtleties of say Russian-Ukrainian relations/Greek-Turkish relations/China-Japan relations/Sunni-Shia relations/etc..etc..etc? 

Now, I see that you are "complaining" that international audiences are more accepting to white Hollywood stars relative to black Hollywood stars. That is probably correct. But when the black star is genuinely charismatic (Will Smith, Eddie Murphy, Denzel) and not just an affirmative action/diversity hire, the movies can easily become blockbusters. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Not that shit again. Half of my country's population is black and yet we usually have no interest in American movies about racism because the race dynamics that happen in America are completely different from the race dynamics that happen here. It doesn't make us any more or less racists than Americans, it's just different for cultural, historical, economical and social reasons. We simply cannot relate much to these kinds of movies.

Implying that it makes us more racists than Americans just means that you're being fucking obnoxious. What an one-sided flawed view of the fucking world, expand your damn horizons before pulling crap like that out of your damn ass please.

Holy shit, Arlborn is usually calm and collected so watching him destroy his ass is the most satisfying shit in the world. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Sam Worthington opened a shitty movie to 17+ with hardly any marketing. A bonafide SUPERSTAR.

Excuse me? The book has sold over 20 Million copies in US alone, it was marketed heavily as christian-themed movie and Octavia Spencer was plastered everywhere and promoted as the lead. No one will flock to theaters to support these basic exchangeable white men, unless your name is Tom Cruise, Johnny Deep, Tom Hanks or Bradley Cooper.

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

It wide released on a Saturday. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened.

What holiday? Can't think of any outside of Vets Day in early November.

Probably depends on how he looks at it. Halloween deflated the prior weekend leading to a better than normal hold. 

• Like 1

Just now, davincicode1 said:

Excuse me? The book has sold over 20 Million copies in US alone, it was marketed heavily as christian-themed movie and Octavia Spencer was plastered everywhere and promoted as the lead. No one will flock to theaters to support these basic exchangeable white men, unless your name is Tom Cruise, Johnny Deep, Tom Hanks or Bradley Cooper.

You're a bit late on Johnny Depp :rofl: 

On 2017-03-05 at 3:27 PM, ban1o said:

What does that have to do with anything lol? You were saying movies with black leads don't do well overseas.

I'm saying whenever I say this international users say it's because their country can't relate to racism or the "Afro-American" experience lol. Like even movies that aren't about racism don't do well overseas compared to movies with white leads. 

Exactly, having black lead or predominantly black cast is not same thing as "a black movie that explores the black struggle" like Precious or Moonlight. Why should South America/Asia care about White-themed movies? (the white-theme term does not even exist, it's just the norm, even in predominantly black/brown/yellow countries, and that is problematic). 

Edited by davincicode1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

It's very simple: a) Comedies *always* under-perform outside the Anglosphere. Non-Anglophone people simply can't get the jokes (countless times I have caught myself laughing alone in the theater) b. Black-themed comedies that almost always rely on context/innuendo/slang are even more inaccessible to international audiences. c) Why would Europe or East Asia be keenly interested in Afro-American issues? Are black Americans highly intrigued about the subtleties of say Russian-Ukrainian relations/Greek-Turkish relations/China-Japan relations/Sunni-Shia relations/etc..etc..etc? 

Now, I see that you are "complaining" that international audiences are more accepting to white Hollywood stars relative to black Hollywood stars. That is probably correct. But when the black star is genuinely charismatic (Will Smith, Eddie Murphy, Denzel) and not just an affirmative action/diversity hire, the movies can easily become blockbusters. 

lol you sound terrible I'm done talking to you. 

Actually Edit: comedies about white people do fine overseas lmao. Neighbours and 21 JS for instance released the same year made much more money overseas. 

Also: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/sony-leak-denzel-washington-should-not-star-in-lead-roles-overseas-because-the-world-is-racist-9932507.html

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Dude, it's very simple! Every nation relates better to things that are closer to their own experience. Europeans relate better to Lord Of the Rings, Brits relate to James Bond, the Empire, Potter and the BFG, Germans relate to Goethe or Mozart, Italians relate to The Godfather, Greeks relate to 300, Troy, Alexander, the Japanese relate to The Last Samurai, the Chinese relate to Mulan and fighting the Japanese (why Hacksaw Ridge did so well there), Asians in general love giant robots fighting monsters, Russians relate to Anna Karenina or WWII etc etc etc ad infinitum. Just as liberal Americans and black Americans relate to what you are relating. 

Why is this so difficult for you to comprehend? 

Edited by PPZVGOS