Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

True, August is missing a big movie. Post the Dunkirk weekend, the summer just dies this year. Last year we still had Trek, Bourne and Squad post that weekend. Very frontloaded summer this time.

??

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

It actually doesn't come out until March 31. The TV spots are not very good from what I've seen. What are your reasons why it won't do well?

I don't think it will do well, but I feel like it won't be a huge flop as I hoped for it to be. You are not aware of the whitewashing drama? The movie is set in Japan, yet all the main characters are WHITE, nuff said. 

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

True, August is missing a big movie. Post the Dunkirk weekend, the summer just dies this year. Last year we still had Trek, Bourne and Squad post that weekend. Very frontloaded summer this time.

Emoji Movie :ph34r:

• Like 2

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Err, I don't know about Ninjago beating HT2, honestly.

As long as Ninjago does a high 20s OW and finishes at $100M I'm happy, but I'm warning everyone on here in terms of hyped up in terms of box office, my hype will cloud my judgement but I'll be more like @That One Guy with Valerian than @Gokira2012 with Power Rangers.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

"out there" and "risky" movies usually don't have a 100 million + budget, they are also funded by director's own pocket (Birth of Nation & Get Out)

Black Panther will be big with a mainly black cast.

Realistically I could see Ninjago doing low to mid 30's weekend. Kingsman and 2049 will both be in the 40's, and American made will do Jack reacher 2 numbers with a bit smaller OW.

The BO performance of Sept/Oct that I'm really curious about is It. I could totally see that pushing past 30M.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Realistically I could see Ninjago doing low to mid 30's weekend. Kingsman and 2049 will both be in the 40's, and American made will do Jack reacher 2 numbers with a bit smaller OW.

The BO performance of Sept/Oct that I'm really curious about is It. I could totally see that pushing past 30M.

I think KINGSMAN could reach mid 50s.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Finally someone has sense here. Agreed though, think this September and October could be one of the biggest in years.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

They are intimidated, "Get Out" is the LAST movie they want/ed to do well, given its raw agenda and a POC dominated cast

WTF are u babbling about now?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

They are intimidated, "Get Out" is the LAST movie they want/ed to do well, given its raw agenda and a POC dominated cast

Have you forgotten about Black Panther? Along with movies in general.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I think Blade Runner can open to 50's if WB is at their A-game w/the next marketing wave and don't Edge Of Tomorrow this. They drove Gravity to a 55M opening, after all. I also believe that AM can outopen Jack Reacher 2 if critical reception is positive enough.

I'm also very curious about It, but I don't know if you're talking about 30M total or OW, because if you're talking total, then I think you're lowballing it, but if it's OW, I really don't know about that, it needs to be an excellent movie or just a big time crowdpleaser in order to succeed that way. Don't forget Split and GO had very specific factors to their breakouts. And a lot of us thought Blair Witch was breakout-bound last year too; that didn't happen, so who knows.

• Like 1