Plain Old Tele

BOT: The Revisiting! The Top 25 of 2007 -- It's done! Best Film of 2007 has been revealed!

Spoiler

17. Transformers

starring Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox

written by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman, story by John Rogers and Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman

directed by Michael Bay

IMDB synopsis: An ancient struggle between two Cybertronian races, the heroic Autobots and the evil Decepticons, comes to Earth, with a clue to the ultimate power held by a teenager.

What is there to say? This is — by most accounts — the best of the franchise, and it’s something you either love or hate. Producers Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto originally developed the property. When Spielberg signed on as an executive producer, he suggested the focus should be “a boy and his car”. Screenwriters Orci and Kurtzman, who were big fans of the cartoons, liked this idea. Bay initially turned down the offer to direct, because he felt it was “a stupid toy movie”. But he wanted to work with Spielberg and was convinced to come on board after a visit to Hasbro.

Tomatometer: 57%

Random critic comment: “What keeps Transformers watchable is LaBeouf and the computerized effects, which are often startling. When Sam's Camaro muscles up into the Bumblebee bot, it's like watching every boy's fantasy of his first pair of wheels.” — Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor

Random RTM comment: “I love this so much. It is probably a crime to love a movie like this so much like I do. Why are the sequels so inferior to this?” — CJohn

• Like 11

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Transformers is only one spot above Knocked Up and two spots above Order of the Phoenix. Fuck all of you. Fuck all of you

Transformers shouldn't have even made the list.

(Neither should 300)

• Like 4

Spoiler

16. Atonement

starring Saoirse Ronan, James McAvoy

written by Christopher Hampton, based on the novel by Ian McEwan

directed by Joe Wright

IMDB synopsis: Fledgling writer Briony Tallis, as a thirteen-year-old, irrevocably changes the course of several lives when she accuses her older sister's lover of a crime he did not commit.

When ATONEMENT came out, reviews were generally very positive and it seemed poised to be a big Oscar contender. None of that came to fruition and I think generally speaking the movie’s reputation has diminished a bit over time. Nonetheless, it’s very strong technically — with an infamous 8-minute tracking shot at Dunkirk — and is another movie with some very passionate support (and some haters as well).

Tomatometer: 83%

Random critic comment: “Director Joe Wright and screenwriter Christopher Hampton not only blow the Merchant-Ivory dust off the British period movie, they transform Ian McEwan's interior novel into a sweeping epic that speaks to the 21st-century soul.” — Lou Limerick, NY Post

Random RTM comment: “Great and emotionally charged movie. I still think about the ending today.” — TheMovieMan

• Like 8

Just now, franfar said:

The fact that fucking Transformers made it at all...

you know a lot of the young blood haven't even seen 25 movies from 2007. i let 'em off the hook. like i say if we were doing this list closer to the date i doubt we'd see it here or at least right at the bottom.

• Like 3

111 Vacancy

112 Beowulf

113 Halloween

114 Smokin' Aces

115 Breach

116 Margot at the Wedding

117 Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium

118 No End in Sight

119 Run, Fatboy, Run!

120 Teeth

121 Surf's Up1

122 Good Luck Chuck

123 Resident Evil: Extinction

124 Shooter

125 I'm a Cyborg but it's Okay

126 Shotgun Stories

127 We Own the Night

128 The Lookout

129 30 Days of Night

130 Amazing Grace

131 I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry

132 I'm Not There

133 The Poughkeepsie Tapes

134 Next

135 Premonition

136 Eagle vs Shark

137 Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer

138 Fracture

139 P.S. I love you

• Like 5

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

you know a lot of the young blood haven't even seen 25 movies from 2007. i let 'em off the hook. like i say if we were doing this list closer to the date i doubt we'd see it here or at least right at the bottom.

Meh, I'm young blood and I wouldn't have nominated it

It's probably best I didn't vote, since I haven't seen that many films from the year anyways

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

111 Vacancy

112 Beowulf

113 Halloween

114 Smokin' Aces

115 Breach

116 Margot at the Wedding

117 Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium

118 No End in Sight

119 Run, Fatboy, Run!

120 Teeth