baumer

A Look at The Biggest Box Office Stories from 1972-present (THABOS: The History of Amazing Box Office Stories) | IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!!!!

Baumer have you ever thought of doing top 10 lists? Something like "Top 10 Movie Stars of the blockbuster era"? I know those kinds of things are cheesy but I think it would be interesting to do an in depth analysis and comparison of movie stars like Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks etc. 

• Like 1

No I never really thought of doing something like that. This particular project is probably going to take me up to about our Thanksgiving. So I think I will let somebody else tackle that one. But it's a great idea.

I'm hoping this project inspires others to seek out movies from the past and that it inspires others to maybe do something similar.  I can't do another one right now, as I said.....this one is very time consuming.

• Like 4

I will be getting 1996 done for sure. And it looks like I will have 1997 done tomorrow as well. Two awesome years in terms of the box office.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I will be getting 1996 done for sure. And it looks like I will have 1997 done tomorrow as well. Two awesome years in terms of the box office.

1996, the year of Twister! 1997 is going be a lot of fun simply due to Titanic

• Like 2

I started the write up for 1996 and because there are so many films in the top ten that I really like, I have a lot to say.  So I unfortunately won't get this one done tonight.  

But I'll leave you with this teaser....a movie review about a film that brought a genre back to life, from the grave.  

My original review of Scream:

" I want you to go down to the McKenzies house and call the police. " Laurie Strode, from Halloween, Casey's mom, from Scream.

As I have said in my various reviews of horror flicks, I grew up loving horror movies. Everything from the great ones like Halloween, Nightmare 1 and the early Fridays, to even the stupid quirky flicks like The Prey or Sleepaway Camp. There is just something sinister yet fun about an unseen force that tries to kill you for no apparent reason except that you are on his turf. I think Kevin Williamson watched the same films as I did and similarly appreciated them. How else can you explain what he has done here?  He's written a film that is an homage to all the great horror films of the last 25 years. He treats all of us fans to great memories of films of years past and he assumes that he has an intelligent audience.

There are so many horror movie references here that even I don't quite get all of them, and believe me I have seen a lot of horror films. But not only is the script entertaining, funny and witty, the film is scary. Not as scary as some of the films that it tries to pay homage to, but that's okay. Because you will have so much fun trying to pick out references to your faves that the scare factor is just a bonus.

One of the brilliant parts in the movie is when Randy pauses Halloween and explains the rules of surviving a horror movie if you are a character in it. Not only is it funny, but it so honest and sharp that when you listen to what he says, you realize that he is so right. And that is one of the great pleasures of the film. I admire a film like this. It is not afraid to take chances and it tries to give all of us former teens that made the genre so popular in the 80's, something to enjoy. I'm not saying that if you are under the age of 25 you cannot enjoy this, but you can enjoy it a whole lot more if you are about 25-30. It is us who rented those films way back when. And to understand the references and the homages to films like Halloween ( 1978 ) the original Nightmare (84), the Friday's (80-84) you have to appreciate the films for what they are.

And what they were and what they did was entertain and scare the hell out of us 15 and 16 year olds. And to remember that feeling by watching this film is reward enough to me. But then to have the film be so well done is an added bonus.Wes Craven is the perfect director for this film. I wonder is Williamson ever pitched this to Cunningham or Miner or Carpenter before going to Craven? I guess I am glad that he didn't because I think Craven adds some nice touches to the film. The cast is also brilliant. We all know the major one's involved here but I want to call attention to Mathew Lilliard. His portrayal of Stu is so amazing. He honestly should of received a nomination for best supporting actor. He took his character and added his own twist to him. And because of his tiny idiosyncrasies, he adds so much to the film. A subtle use of the tongue, the facade of hurt just by one of his expressions, a triumphant thrust of the arms, his laugh. They are all forever imprinted in my head as a great character study.This film started a whole genre on it's own, made a name for Lilliard and most everyone else involved, revitalized Craven's career, made Williamson a millionaire, made horror movies popular again and gave me hours of viewing enjoyment. Not just from this one and its sequel, but it made me go back and watch all the older films that I liked so much.You should do the same. And try to rediscover what was so fun about horror movie from the 70's and 80's. I have figured it out on a personal level, but have you figured it out on your own level? That is what makes horror films so much fun. Because they mean something different to everyone. Actually that is what makes film in general so profound.

Scream is genre defining and will go down as one of the greatest horror films of its time.

10/10

I'll finish 96 tomorrow.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I start work late tomorrow...so for those of you who do follow this thread, I promise I will have 96 done tonight.

I'm about half way done it now, but as I said, films like Twister, Scream, ID4...there's just so much to say. :)

• Like 1

Scream is actually my favourite horror film for pure entertainment. I like The Shining, The Thing (1982) and Suspiria as films more, but Scream is just so god damn good.

Its also a very good series. Scream 2 wasnt as good as 1 (obviously), but it was still a fun ride. Scream 3 has its moments, but is definetly the worst in the franchise. Scream 4 otoh is imo the best Scream sequel and it was such a shame it underperformed at the box office.

• Like 3

Love me some Scream! I was just the right age to start enjoying Horror movies when Scream released in '96. I turned ten years old that year and Scream really scared me. 

I even love the teen slasher flicks that it inspired, like I Know What You Did Last Summer. That movie had a lot more gay subtext that I gravitated toward, though.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Scream write-up! It was the first horror movie I can remember seeing and the one I credit with turning me into a horror fan. I had just turned six when it came out in theaters and I wasn't allowed to see R-rated movies at the time. When it finally came to Blockbuster, I distinctly remember devising a plan to put the Scream VHS inside the rental box of a kids movie and hoping the clerk wouldn't notice at checkout. To my surprise it worked; the teenager at the counter didn't even bother opening the case! I made it home and ran to my room to start watching, still in disbelief that I had actually gotten away with it. I was hooked from the opening minute and watched with a mix of terror and excitement as the events unfolded on screen. My eyes were glued to the TV and I didn't notice my mom walk into the room before it was too late. In a serious case of unfortunate timing, she walked in right as Ghostface stabbed Drew Barrymore for the first time. Needless to say she made me turn it off and return it to Blockbuster that night. I wouldn't get to see the whole thing until years later. 

The fact that I only got to see that opening tease when I was six elevated Scream to this kind of mythical status in my childhood. Those 10 minutes I saw were so good that I could only imagine what the rest of the movie had in store. I can't remember how old I was when I finally saw it in its entirety, but the long wait in-between made the viewing experience that much more sweet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2017 at 8:54 AM, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I'm hoping this project inspires others to seek out movies from the past and that it inspires others to maybe do something similar.  I can't do another one right now, as I said.....this one is very time consuming.

It has me, I just watched Schindler's List for the first time finally! it was amazing! 

• Like 1