grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Some additional comps:

SMH currently at 45% of Guardians presales, and at 63% of SS presales (from Tuesday afternoon, not evening).

If SMH is higher than WW in terms of presales why is it lower when compared to Suicide Squad when WW was around 70%-75% of Suicide Squad's presales?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

If SMH is higher than WW in terms of presales why is it lower when compared to Suicide Squad when WW was around 70%-75% of Suicide Squad's presales?

WW was also the exact same as SMH was (I wouldn't call a 100k difference "higher" when both are in the millions), it picked up and narrowed the gap to SS closer to release. The good reviews and buzz might have helped its presales basically increase more than double from Tuesday.

A constant pattern I have seen is that most movies double their Monday number before Thursday previews, WW did 2.5x times the Tuesday number before release. Basically showing that a vast majority of its sales came in the final 48 hours once reviews and buzz built in a big way. Which is how it went from 63% at this point to 80% before release.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2017 at 6:05 PM, grim22 said:

Presale #s update for WW thanks to our anonymous user. Wonder Woman Tuesday afternoon number is 5% higher than the number we had for Suicide Squad on Tuesday morning of release.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

WW was also the exact same as SMH was (I wouldn't call a 100k difference "higher" when both are in the millions), it picked up and narrowed the gap to SS closer to release. The good reviews and buzz might have helped its presales basically increase more than double from Tuesday.

A constant pattern I have seen is that most movies double their Monday number before Thursday previews, WW did 2.5x times the Tuesday number before release. Basically showing that a vast majority of its sales came in the final 48 hours once reviews and buzz built in a big way. Which is how it went from 63% at this point to 80% before release.

I'm still a bit confused to the prior statement above. (Sorry if I'm annoying you I'm just a bit confused if you mean the total amount of presales collected on Tuesday or presales sold on Tuesday only)

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

I'm still a bit confused to the prior statement above. (Sorry if I'm annoying you I'm just a bit confused if you mean the total amount of presales collected on Tuesday or presales sold on Tuesday only)

I am not sure what you are asking anymore.

• Like 1

I am not sure what you are asking anymore.

The post on Tuesday before release said WW was 5% higher on Tuesday than Suicide Squad at the same point yet on the Tuesday before release for Homecoming is 63% of SS presales.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, YourMother said:

The post on Tuesday before release said WW was 5% on Tuesday than Suicide Squad yet on the Tuesday before release for Homecoming is 63% of SS.

Ok, I see what the question is. There was a second update provided on Tuesday afternoon which I had missed earlier when looking for WW comps (as you know, the thread gets out of control closer to release, especially since SS reviews came out on Tuesday so half the posts are just junk). SS was about 5% lower than where WW and SMH are on Tuesday evening on the Tuesday morning 8am update that was provided. 

There was another update provided at Tuesday afternoon 2pm (which is, believe it or not, a full 8 pages later. How the hell did we add 8 pages in less than half a day?), where SS had added a lot more (SS had free tickets on T-Mobile that day, the pace it added was ridiculous on Tuesday). That update is about 50% higher than both SMH and WW were on Tuesday evening.

So, basically lets say SS was 1M on Tuesday morning 8am update, SMH and WW are both 1.1M (for the ease of writing it out) on Tuesday evening 5pm update. Meanwhile, there was an in-between update on Tuesday afternoon at 2pm which was buried underneath major fanwars thanks to SS reviews which has SS at about 1.65M.

Hope that clears it up.

• Like 5

Ok, I see what the question is. There was a second update provided on Tuesday afternoon which I had missed earlier when looking for WW comps (as you know, the thread gets out of control closer to release, especially since SS reviews came out on Tuesday so half the posts are just junk). SS was about 5% lower than where WW and SMH are on Tuesday evening on the Tuesday morning 8am update that was provided. 

There was another update provided at Tuesday afternoon 2pm (which is, believe it or not, a full 8 pages later. How the hell did we add 8 pages in less than half a day?), where SS had added a lot more (SS had free tickets on T-Mobile that day, the pace it added was ridiculous on Tuesday). That update is about 30% higher than both SMH and WW were on Tuesday evening.

So, basically lets say SS was 1M on Tuesday morning 8am update, SMH and WW are both 1.1M (for the ease of writing it out) on Tuesday evening 5pm update. Meanwhile, there was an in-between update on Tuesday afternoon at 2pm which was buried underneath major fanwars thanks to SS reviews which has SS at about 1.65M.

Hope that clears it up.

Oh. Now I get it. Thanks for clearing it up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

So SS had a big Tuesday in presales... just like SM:H methinks.

SS had a ridiculous Tuesday in presales. Big does not come close to describing it. It basically increased 65-70% that day (that we know of) thanks to the T-Mobile free ticket promo.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

SS had a ridiculous Tuesday in presales. Big does not come close to describing it. It basically increased 65-70% that day (that we know of) thanks to the T-Mobile free ticket promo.

Yes, and those free tickets for Thur are mostly why it was so front loaded - especially for a non sequel - with a 6.52 previews to w/e multi

Just now, grim22 said:

One more from the source (let's call him Deep Wang as a nod to Transformers 3? I know Deep Throat is taken)

Apes still about 40% higher than Covfefe and Transformers 5.

I like it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

SMH is a disaster on MT tho

Nah, it is just trending exactly to WW there as well. Roughly same time on Tuesday before release and adjusting for competition, they are neck and neck on both Pulse as well as on MT

On 5/30/2017 at 6:28 PM, Wonder89 said:

Wonder Woman N.1 on Fandango Pulse

On 5/30/2017 at 7:21 PM, YSLDC said:

Movie tickets -

1. POTC5 - 33%
2. Baywatch - 13%
3. Wonder Woman - 11%
4. GOTG2 - 9%
5. Alien - 6%

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

SMH is a disaster on MT tho

Nah, b/c a lot of people actually went to movies this morning and it's the last 24 hours of sales, not just right now...and it's moved up to #4...would be nice to see it at #3 or #2 tomorrow...

Not to mention the combo of the top 5 for the five day weekend before Homecoming was stronger then the top 5 for the four day weekend before Wonder Woman.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, b/c a lot of people actually went to movies this morning and it's the last 24 hours of sales, not just right now...and it's moved up to #4...would be nice to see it at #3 or #2 tomorrow...

It better be #2 by tomorrow...

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Not to mention the combo of the top 5 for the five day weekend before Homecoming was stronger then the top 5 for the four day weekend before Wonder Woman.

Not by much 

• Like 1