WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

17 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

It's quite funny actually. 

The more people predict "superhero fatigue" the more money these movies make. 

To be fair part of why Wonder Woman is doing son well is because it doesn't exactly feel like a superhero movie which makes it stand out.

9 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

If it weren't for them this summer would be pretty boring BO wise. 

I have said this before, but I think it merits repeating. There are only 4 types of movies that can make money right now (especially in the North American box-office) 

1) Family films (Beauty & the Beast, Finding Dory, Inside Out, Minions, Pets etc etc)

2) Comic-Book-inspired films (MCU, DCEU, Deadpool etc etc) 

3) Star Wars films (one per year) 

4) Cleverly marketed, gimmicky, small-budget horror-films. 

The first two categories have been the mainstay of the domestic box-office for a few years now, while category number 3 is just a cinematic one-off that applies almost entirely to the Anglophone countries. Category number 4 is the most volatile by far, but it can be astonishingly lucrative. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

To be fair part of why Wonder Woman is doing son well is because it doesn't exactly feel like a superhero movie which makes it stand out.

eh not really. it feels like a thor/captain america mash up, it's just better than both of them.

Just now, PPZVGOS said:

I have said this before, but I think it merits repeating. There are only 4 types of movies that can make money right now (especially in the North American box-office) 

1) Family films (Beauty & the Beast, Finding Dory, Inside Out, Minions, Pets etc etc)

The first two categories have been the mainstay of the domestic box-office for a few years now, while category number 3 is just a cinematic one-off that applies almost entirely to the Anglophone countries. Category number 4 is the most volatile by far, but it can be astonishingly lucrative. 

I think It will buck the trend of number 4 since it's based on a novel and it's higher budget for a horror at $32m. 

Mid budget films can make money, look at Hidden Figures or Sully which did fantastic in the dead months. 

3 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

5) High-caliber (or reasonably high-caliber) movies that appeal to attention-starved adults (especially in the fall/winter). 

• Like 3

Wonder Woman is an american centric, irrational phenomenon.

In the land of free, people have convinced themselves the movie is the second coming.

Outside of the US o A, the movie was met with a polite : "I guess that was ok/good."

Isn't it strange this jarring difference ?

:sherlock:

Edited by The Futurist

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

eh not really. it feels like a thor/captain america mash up, it's just better than both of them.

It game similarities do both for sure. But it doesn't feel like either at all. WW is a war movie first superhero movie second as opposed to TFA being a superhero movie that just happens to take place during WW2

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

It game similarities do both for sure. But it doesn't feel like either at all. WW is a war movie first superhero movie second as opposed to TFA being a superhero movie that just happens to take place during WW2

eehhhhhhhhhh.