Rough Night (2017)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Scarjo seems miscast for this.

Jillian Bell plays the same character that she does in every movie, and it's still not funny

The script is "edgy" because it uses the word fuck in many places.

There's very little humour

The last ten minutes is really good

I have no idea wtf Demi Moore was doing in this

Overall really disappointing

6/10

• Like 2

Definitely one of those "likely to be swiftly forgotten but enjoyable while it lasts" comedies. Scarlett Johansson is good in her first stab at this kind of comedy, although all of the other four main women are utilized well too (Kate McKinnon could make reading out of the phone book hilarious). For me, the funniest bits come from the inversion of gender stereotypes we see in raunchy comedies (Colton Haynes, the Jamie Dornan lookalike who plays the dead stripper, and especially Paul W. Downs have to endure a lot of embarrassment for the sake of laughs not dissimilar to what women face in more guy-centric comedies) and wish it had concentrated more on that instead of the standard "women are just as gross as men" comedy mostly found here. But I laughed a lot, and that's all that counts. B-

• Like 1

I actually liked this movie quite a bit. It's not anything groundbreaking, but as a guy who likes ScarJo i liked the movie not just for that. 

But Rough Night has some fun and relatable characters who aren't perfect, and the chemistry  between the 4 Women(McKinnon was a friend from Australia) is actually believable and quite fun to watch to see them together! And it was kinda funny how they tried to hide the dead body, and was interesting to see what the twist was, and the shenanigans that ensued. And the husband, and the "sad astronaut" story was quite funny! Also a surprise as well Demi Moore(who looks great for 54) and Ty Burell looked like they were having fun as a horny couple who wants Zoe Kravitz to have a threesome with them.

Overall Rough Night while it's nothing new, it's a step up in the dark comedy genre that's a lot of fun and the cast looked like they were having fun. Grade: high B/B+

Rough Night is a typical formulaic comedy with a few good laughs. Its biggest mistake is having a truly phenomenal ensemble cast of great comedians and yet oddly choosing to focus on Jillian Bell, who is probably the only person in the cast who is more obnoxious than remotely funny. The other four of the main cast all do their best, but Bell' really drags the movie down, both with her annoying character and the way she clearly improvs her jokes into an obnoxious realm. The attempts at emotion are very bland, but it's alright because for the most part, it's moderately entertaining. Rough Night is an average inoffensive R-rated comedy that still is enjoyable to watch, but it's hard to say if I'll remember anything from it tomorrow morning. Could've been a lot worse. C

This was not that funny, which is a crime for a comedy, but ScarJo is always charismatic and her character here is a very likable lead. The rest of the cast is good too. And I love to see a legendary Hollywood actress like Demi Moore back on screen. Near the end there's an emotional moment, a twist that changes the way we see certain character, and in my opinion that elevates the movie to another level. It kept me entertained the whole time. This is not a great comedy, but it has enough qualities to be worth a recommend.