Plain Old Tele

The Book of Henry (2017)

The Book of Henry (2017)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

So, um, HOW IS THIS A BAD MOVIE?!?!?!?!
Yes, this is a mad concept on paper which is probably part of why critics were thrown....but the cast - holy shit everyone is so good in this 0 and Trevorrow manage to approach the concept with such unabashed and serious sincerity that I was completely along for the whole thing and its twists and turns. Tonal changes? Smooth. Gia's score? Really nice.
There's a conversation between Henry and Sarah Silverman's character which I feel just perfectly encapsulates the whole hullabaloo surrounding this film....just go see it for yourself, will you. Even if coming in with 'laugh at how bad it is' expectations. Mine weren't that low but still very low. Might be surprised like I was.
8/10

The Book of Henry is truly insane. Feeling like four movies combined in a blender, it's a complete mess tonally and story-wise. Frequent laughter will occur as what is put on screen is truly unbelievable. The actors do their best with the work they have and Giacchino delivers a decent score, but neither can save the maudlin script and ho-hum direction. Going more in-depth would be a disservice to it, as this is a film that has to be seen to be believed, the type of horrible film that is never boring and always outrageously entertaining. The Book of Henry is the biggest mess I've seen this year, but what a glorious trainwreck it is. D

It was a complete failure in how it was not nearly as bad as I had been led to believe. When the world around you is incompetent as shit and no one is listening, heck. I liked Henry's "I'm going to handle the situation my goddamn self." attitude.

The tone shift in the middle goes from gradual to just flat out thriller-ish and that's kind of strange. But it's about forcing the mother to grow up, finally.

• Like 1