Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

6 hours ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

Ummmm, what??? 47 Meters should've made a lot more than it did if it had been marketed properly and I don't see how anyone can disagree with me on that.. It was marketed like shit.. Sure, it cost peanuts to make most likely and made a profit, but still.. The studio clearly didn't have confidence in it..

6 hours ago, Nova said:

I actually agree that the marketing for it wasn't exactly good. But they still spent $30M on its marketing so they put the money in....it just wasn't exactly good marketing....in my opinion. But like you said and I have said as well the movie made money and will be a profit no matter what. 

As mentioned BKB, this was a film that went straight to DVD.  It's been on line for about a year, if not longer.  And the only reason they chose to release it is because the Shallows did as well as it did.  The reason it wasn't heavily marketed is because that costs a lot of money to do so.  Nova, if you say they spent 30 mill on marketing, then I believe you.  And that just shows us how expensive it is to make movies.  I'm shocked they could spend that much on the film.  So let's hope that it gets close to 50 million so they can at least hopefully turn some kind of profit from it.

So when I said UMMMM..it's because you BKB basically said that if they had no confidence in the film they should have put it straight to DVD...well.....it was straight to DVD, then they released it theatrically.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

As mentioned BKB, this was a film that went straight to DVD.  It's been on line for about a year, if not longer.  And the only reason they chose to release it is because the Shallows did as well as it did.  The reason it wasn't heavily marketed is because that costs a lot of money to do so.  Nova, if you say they spent 30 mill on marketing, then I believe you.  And that just shows us how expensive it is to make movies.  I'm shocked they could spend that much on the film.  So let's hope that it gets close to 50 million so they can at least hopefully turn some kind of profit from it.

So when I said UMMMM..it's because you BKB basically said that if they had no confidence in the film they should have put it straight to DVD...well.....it was straight to DVD, then they released it theatrically.

Yea Deadline released the P&A for 47 Meters Down I believe the weekend it opened so that's where I'm getting that information from....well actually @TalismanRingposted the link to it so shout out to her! But it shows that the studio didn't exactly not put any effort into it. It's have a leggy run for them for sure though so it's paying off imo 

• Like 1

Tele Jr and I finished watching AVATAR. Man, it was intense for a six-year-old (in a good way). He was furious at the "bad guys" when they destroyed Hometree. He was screaming at the TV. He shrieked with delight and did his own little war dance when Jake and his fighters dove out of the sky to start the battle. 

After the movie, he declared that when he grows up, he wants to become an alien just like Jake. 

• Like 22

1 minute ago, Super Robertman2 Odyssey said:

Boss Baby

The Templetons were making plans for their newest addition... What the -? Tim! Meet your new brother. But this baby has other plans... We babies are having a crisis! Babies aren't getting as much love as they used to. Behold, our mortal enemy, puppies! Awwwwwwwwwww! No! That's exactly the problem! FROM THE CREATORS OF SHREK *welcome to my house~* Have you learned anything? A, B, C, D- No, what have you learned about puppies? Yay puppies!! No, Jimbo, puppies are evil! Stacey, read back the notes! I can't read. What's it say? Boss, parents! Ohhh, it's like they're having their own little meeting. Who wants dessert? This is so humiliating. THIS MARCH You got the right baby for this job. I know how important this mission is to the company. Mission? You can talk! Ah! Poop duty! Agh!!!! I gotta deal with the K-I-D. Who are you? I'm on a mission. There's not enough love to go around. My job is to find out why. Now give me a double espresso and see if there's someplace around here with some decent sushi, I'd kill for a spicy tuna roll right about now. THE SECRET IS OUT Mom, Dad, the baby can talk! This is war! GARGH! A-hahahaha! Oh, yeah! Let go, you little - Look, the kids are finally getting along. That's nice. PLAYTIME IS OVER If I don't succeed with this mission, I would live here forever with you! Okay, I will help you but just to get rid of you. Deal. THE GAME IS ON Here comes the choo-choo train! No, no! They're watching. Choo-choo. Okay? Choo-choo on that! Mmmm- AND THEY'RE GETTING DOWN How do we get past the guard? I've never been so humiliated in all my life! Aghhh TO BUSINESS *we want this we want this *we run this what we run this what we run this oh, oh, oh it don't matter where you from it's where you at* AGH! *and if you came to freak-a-leak better bring your hat baby* ALEC BALDWIN *better bring your hat snicka* I don't wear nautical! You're putting this thing on! What have you done to me? What's all the racket? Isn't he adorable? Ohhh, I've got one for you too! What?!? Bummer. *we run this* DREAMWORKS THE BOSS BABY Put that cookie down. Cookies are for closers. MARCH

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

In the case of SPA I just think they're trying their hands at whatever they can and basically saying "ah hell to it, lets greenlight this animation concept". 

I appreciate the amount of animated films that get made nowadays, and this year for the most part they've been fine to fairly good, but I'm sure for your average person it's considered overkill. 

SPA seems to think anything that has animation is under their umbrella like Goosebumps. Universal struck gold with Illumination and have Laika as well. Warner Animation Group seem to snapping on the heels on SPA although they haven't launched a successful film that isn't Lego or based on an existing WB character but I hope Smallfoot can change that.

DWA learnt the hard way that 3 films a year isn't a good thing and Sony has to be careful not to release too much even if one film is a hybrid and one is animated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

SPA seems to think anything that has animation is under their umbrella like Goosebumps. Universal struck gold with Illumination and have Laika as well. Warner Animation Group seem to snapping on the heels on SPA although they haven't launched a successful film that isn't Lego or based on an existing WB character but I hope Smallfoot can change that.

DWA learnt the hard way that 3 films a year isn't a good thing and Sony has to be careful not to release too much even if one film is a hybrid and one is animated.

I think Sony will suffer, while I'm sure WB animation will have another hit eventually. Sony's had some successes, but greenlighting anything they can find under the sun will eventually lead to "fatigue" so to say. 3 films a year is already overkill as is. 

• Like 2

i wish alden ehrenreich was in baby driver as baby and the other movie he was in didn't exist not hail caesar tho i like hail caesar would that if it were so simple but it's not it's never so simple it's like how happiness and hope and hype is a myth and there's nothing but salt hope was a mistake you control the water you control the people mr rango rango rango django unchained tarantino engaged i'm single so is ethan hunt i hope henry cavill plays a mi6 agent in mi6 otherwise what is the goddamn point i am so tired i'm going to bed goodnight everyone

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

i wish alden ehrenreich was in baby driver as baby and the other movie he was in didn't exist not hail caesar tho i like hail caesar would that if it were so simple but it's not it's never so simple it's like how happiness and hope and hype is a myth and there's nothing but salt hope was a mistake you control the water you control the people mr rango rango rango django unchained tarantino engaged i'm single so is ethan hunt i hope henry cavill plays a mi6 agent in mi6 otherwise what is the goddamn point i am so tired i'm going to bed goodnight everyone

Voice to text combined with the drnka?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Tele Jr and I finished watching AVATAR. Man, it was intense for a six-year-old (in a good way). He was furious at the "bad guys" when they destroyed Hometree. He was screaming at the TV. He shrieked with delight and did his own little war dance when Jake and his fighters dove out of the sky to start the battle. 

After the movie, he declared that when he grows up, he wants to become an alien just like Jake. 

Meanwhile my 5 year old son farts on me if I don't let him watch 300, Wolf on Wall Street and Red Dawn. :sadben:

• Like 5

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

I think Sony will suffer, while I'm sure WB animation will have another hit eventually. Sony's had some successes, but greenlighting anything they can find under the sun will eventually lead to "fatigue" so to say. 3 films a year is already overkill as is. 

Warner Animation Group has the advantage of having a huge library of characters to tap into for potential films, Scooby will likely be successful but I'd like to see them do an animated film like the long in development Bone alongside Lego and WB characters. 

I do think Sony doesn't have a plan or style with animation hence greenlighting stuff like The Emoji Movie or The Star. WAG at least have a clear idea what their films will be.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

They are doing 4 next year, 2 being hybrids. They even put the Angry Birds Movie sequel under the SPA umbrella. IMO this isn't a good idea.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

Here's a more interesting look at WW's run, going by the weekly drops:

Jun 2–8 1 $147,822,503 - 4,165 - $35,492 $147,822,503 1
Jun 9–15 1 $86,004,227 -41.8% 4,165 - $20,649 $233,826,730 2
Jun 16–22 2 $59,378,428 -31.0% 4,018 -147 $14,778 $293,205,158 3
Jun 23–29 2 $37,324,317 -37.1% 3,933 -85 $9,490 $330,529,475

If it were to fall 35% every week from here on out, which is highly unlikely because of Spider-man, but if it were, we'd get this:

24 million:  354

15.6:  369.5

10.2:  379.5

6.7:  386.2

4.3: 390.5

2.8:  393.3

1.8:  395.1

1.2:  396.3

.8:  397.1....this would be right around Labour Day, so it might even do a bit better.

It would need dollar theaters and maybe some double features or just plain fudge from Puerto Rico, but if it's this close, I think they will push it over 400.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Warner Animation Group has the advantage of having a huge library of characters to tap into for potential films, Scooby will likely be successful but I'd like to see them do an animated film like the long in development Bone alongside Lego and WB characters. 

I do think Sony doesn't have a plan or style with animation hence greenlighting stuff like The Emoji Movie or The Star. WAG at least have a clear idea what their films will be.

I'd like to see WB try an animated feature film with Looney Tunes characters or something, I certainly think it could be promising. There's also the other HB characters that have potential do, just don't go for the easy "fart joke / kiddie humor" route at least. 

Also if Sony has a "plan", it's incredibly scattershot and not well thought out. They already have at least four films set to be released over the next two years. As far as I can tell their plans are out not very well thought-out. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm a bit concerned about TLNM and TLMS due to LBM's performance. Bone would be nice to see on the big screen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'd like to see WB try an animated feature film with Looney Tunes characters or something, I certainly think it could be promising. There's also the other HB characters that have potential do, just don't go for the easy "fart joke / kiddie humor" route at least. 

Also if Sony has a "plan", it's incredibly scattershot and not well thought out. They already have at least four films set to be released over the next two years. As far as I can tell their plans are out not very well thought-out. 

Looney Tunes should be 2D. To do otherwise is sacrilegious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

The problem with the Looney Tunes is they work better in short bursts, Space Jam and Back in Action weren't great. I'm sure a Looney Tunes film is in development but making it work and having it not be too reliant on Bugs and Daffy. 

I'd love to see them do Jonny Quest as an animated film in the vein of Future Quest. 

The WAG films seem to be nail the humour with a mix of slapstick or more verbal and visual jokes, it's likely the reason why The Lego Batman Movie didn't do well outside of the US and UK. Storks while not as strong as The Lego Movie or Lego Batman did have its moments.

Just now, YourMother said:

I'm a bit concerned about TLNM and TLMS due to LBM's performance. Bone would be nice to see on the big screen.

The Lego Batman Movie was successful though. 

• Like 1