CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

While I'm personally not sold on Thor 3 going over $300M(yet), I wouldn't be shocked if it did especially if it is well received. 

Based on how comicbook films have been performing this year, I'm done with the attitude of "Lol there's no way this movie is making this much money!" And then after its run looking like this: 

Kevin-Hart-The-Hell.jpg

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yes people love the Thor Ragnarok trailer more than the Last Jedi trailer 900 million domestic confirmed!

No way in hell Rangarok does more than Jedi. I'm just saying it could break out unexpectedly.

This is a third movie and you think it is going to have much better legs than Thor 2 after having a much better opening weekend, while going up against another comic book movie that is direct competition? That all sounds pretty far-fetched.

I don't even know why I try. It's just an obsession to wildly over predict all Marvel movies. Yes every Marvel movie from here on out is going to make over 300 million. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

YourMother's Stan list:

- Detroit

- Kingsman 2

- Ninjago 

- mother! (Cause the name and premise alone gets my support)

- God Particle

- Jumanji (maybe)

Black Panther

- Pacific Rim 2

- Tomb Raider

- Ready Player One

- The Incredibles 2

- Alita Battle Angel

- Mission Impossible 6

- Meg (Shut up)

- Spider-Man: The Animated Movie

The Lego Movie Sequel

Edited by YourMother

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't even know why I try. It's just an obsession to wildly over predict all Marvel movies.

It's definitely far-fetched, but this year has really shown that if the movie is good, people will come out to see it. I have a lot of faith in Taika and I think they're doing a good job in distancing it from Thor 2.

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Valerian does not have any superheroes last time I checked.

You're not comprehending what I am saying. Black Panther is an exception.

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't even know why I try. It's just an obsession to wildly over predict all Marvel movies. Yes every Marvel movie from here on out is going to make over 300 million. 

I don't think Ant Man 2 is doing more than TDW. I think CM is doing Strange numbers. I think IW will decrease from Ultron. Thor has a small chance is all.

I'm honestly waiting for the 400 million predictions for Ant-Man and The Wasp. Just wait it's going to have a really fun popular trailer online and those predictions are going to come.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

The only true way to avoid being a casual is to watch American Honey @ that one guy @ wrath of Han

You know I might watch it tonight.

59 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I want to clarify that no Wonder Woman shouldn't have been seen as a risk but that doesn't change the fact that it was seen as one.

I always secretly thought that a good and well marketed Wonder Woman movie could do similar numbers to the Hunger Games films worldwide. At times I had my doubts because the DCEU movies seem to have gone out of their way to make their characters as unlikable and inhuman as possible and I felt that would kill any repeat viewing for the theoretical film.

Luckily the best-case scenario happened but it happened in a way that I didn't think it would with these legs. I was still deathly afraid of the overseas numbers but luckily it did well overseas as well. Can't wait until Captain Marvel comes out and continues to prove Hollywood wrong.

Catching up...here's the thing about why Wonder Woman was a risk...

It's not just b/c she was a girl...she's also an Amazonian demigoddess.  So, in terms of budget and story, how do you make a movie where you can have an arc where she doesn't automatically win in the 1st 30 seconds, but which will keep an audience interested and engaged (greek gods can be a snore) and which will not cost $8 billion dollars?  

The writers knocked that out of the park...without such a tight, well-thought out arc story, this movie really could have gone sideways...

PS - This is why Catwoman got a story 1st - it was an easier, cheaper, and more audience-relatable story to tell...not that they told it well...

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

The only true way to avoid being a casual is to watch American Honey @ that one guy @ wrath of Han

A boy who has Transformers in his top 10 of all time has no say in what's casual.

• Like 1