CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

I mean, with the original Grinch on TV six or seven times in December and the Jim Carrey version playing every other day on Freeform, will the animated movie really be that huge? 

• Like 1

Disney and Disney Pixar animated movies still exist, illumination doesn't bother me. Also I haven't seen any of their films so it would be stupid for me to be bothered by them when I don't know what I think of their films. I've heard good things about some of Illumination stuff. Now crap like Angry Birds...I could leave that.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Don't know how true is that, in a parallel universe world with Transformer 1 failing and no sequels being made, do we really have not one different movie being made made/released by Paramount in it ?

They are such giant production, using such a big amount of resource, I doubt Bay would have not made other movies. That said it does not mean that those parallel universe movies would be any good.

I really like some of Bays earlier films like The Rock or Bad Boys. Without having to direct endless TF sequels i think he could have done more of those silly-but-fun action movies. One of the reasons i dislike Transformers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

If the walk ups thing is so important then why didn't more people walk up on Saturday? If anything doesn't it make it sound like the movie's word-of-mouth isn't that great or is only okay and doesn't match the reviews? I don't think the walk-ups mean anything by the way I'm just asking questions.

Walk ups are important because it given presales, Spidey should've done something like $85M to $90M. If all these walk up spread word, it'll impact the rest of the run positively. Usually that isn't seen immediately on OW but on the weekdays and second weekend.

4 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I think that Black Panther' s buzz in the "real-world" (LOL, as if the real world weren't already in love with CBMs) and its box office run will be very similar to Wonder Woman 's. Like WW, BP is a comic book film that a hugely underserved demo has been anticipating forever. If the quality is there, I expect great things from it...

We live in a world where Black Panther, Deadpool, and Guardians of the Galaxy are discussed on the same level as Wonder Woman.   Think about that one.

Spidey on the other hand is still saddled with the 3 bad movies over the past decade that a lot of people saw.   WoM is nice, but it didn't help Batman Begins either.

We live in a world where Wonder Woman wasn't made because it was starring a woman. We live in a world where Marvel made two Ant-Man movies before making a movie starring a female character. Can we stop pretending like most people and studios thought huge success was a foregone conclusion?

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I feel like Wonder Woman's run has made people forget what a typical com run should look like.

x2.7 would be fantastic for Spidey.

I personally think something like 2.5 is more likely.

Hell, we've had some recent MCU movies with strong critical reception and fans raving...yet the multipliers weren't that great. So I think a 2.7 would be a really strong result for Spidey if it happens. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Walk ups are important because it given presales, Spidey should've done something like $85M to $90M. If all these walk up spread word, it'll impact the rest of the run positively. Usually that isn't seen immediately on OW but on the weekdays and second weekend.

The persales themselves were beating WONDR.

1 minute ago, Harpospoke said:

We live in a world where Black Panther, Deadpool, and Guardians of the Galaxy are discussed on the same level as Wonder Woman.   Think about that one.

Spidey on the other hand is still saddled with the 3 bad movies over the past decade that a lot of people saw.   WoM is nice, but it didn't help Batman Begins either.

I was never expecting a big domestic take from Spider-Man (at least not $400 million big) but overseas with a much better received movie, I do expect an improved OS number. Spider-Man has always been popular internationally and with a great movie...well the numbers I think will be there.

7 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

With its $73m opening for 5 days instead of 3, I can think of a bunch of CBM's that would have finished much lower than $205m total. So the WOM did help it. Otherwise it would have finished around $150m, which is a much more normal multiplier for a 5-day opening. 

25 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I feel like Wonder Woman's run has made people forget what a typical com run should look like.

x2.7 would be fantastic for Spidey.

I personally think something like 2.5 is more likely.

Actually, I could be mistaken, but I think the multiplier improves in recent years for CBM released in July/August.

July/August CBM releases post-Iron Man...

First Avenger - 2.72

Dark Knight Rises - 2.78

Amazing Spider-man - 4.22 (released on a Tuesday)

Ant-Man - 3.16

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 2.89

Guardians Vol. 1 - 3.53

Suicide Squad - 2.44

Dark Knight - 3.37

...I'm sure I'm missing a few that can be added. But, the average is certainly higher than 2.5 for July/August with only Suicide Squad coming in under a 2.5 multiplier.

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

We live in a world where Wonder Woman wasn't made because it was starring a woman. We live in a world with Marvel made to Ant-Man movies before making a movie starring a female characte. Can we stop pretending like most people and studios thought huge success was a foregone conclusion?

out of likes.

read on THR that warners ignored negotiating wondr2 with patty because they didn't think wondr1 would be such a big success and patty's stock would go high. post wondr1 she had the upper hand in negotiations.

"Warner Bros. was surprised by the success of 'Wonder Woman' - and they'll have to pay for it"

http://www.businessinsider.in/Warner-Bros-was-surprised-by-the-success-of-Wonder-Woman-and-theyll-have-to-pay-for-it/articleshow/59074995.cms

THR

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-director-patty-jenkins-not-signed-sequel-1010845

• Like 2

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

With its $73m opening for 5 days instead of 3, I can think of a bunch of CBM's that would have finished much lower than $205m total. So the WOM did help it. Otherwise it would have finished around $150m, which is a much more normal multiplier for a 5-day opening. 

Yeah. That's a silly comment. WOM definitely helped Begins along to $205M DOM. Had a very, very nice run for a flick that opened with a $72M five day. It's not a Curse of the Black Pearl run but, hell, ain't much out there that is...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

out of likes.

read on THR that warners ignored negotiating wondr2 with patty because they didn't think wondr1 would be such a big success and patty's stock would go high. post wondr1 she had the upper hand in negotiations.

"Warner Bros. was surprised by the success of 'Wonder Woman' - and they'll have to pay for it"

http://www.businessinsider.in/Warner-Bros-was-surprised-by-the-success-of-Wonder-Woman-and-theyll-have-to-pay-for-it/articleshow/59074995.cms

THR

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-director-patty-jenkins-not-signed-sequel-1010845

Hopefully she's given more control over this one as well and brings in her own writers and crafts a much, much more personal vision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Actually, I could be mistaken, but I think the multiplier improves in recent years for CBM released in July/August.

July/August CBM releases post-Iron Man...

First Avenger - 2.72

Dark Knight Rises - 2.78

Amazing Spider-man - 4.22 (released on a Tuesday)

Ant-Man - 3.16

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 2.89

Guardians Vol. 1 - 3.53

Suicide Squad - 2.44

Dark Knight - 3.37

...I'm sure I'm missing a few that can be added. But, the average is certainly higher than 2.5 for July/August with only Suicide Squad coming in under a 2.5 multiplier.

if u look at the fri to sat performance, it's closer to ss and tdkr than other movies (and both ss and tdkr are unique reasons for the sat performance - tmobile and the theater shooting).

but i am still with you that spidey should cross 2.5 easily. am expecting 2.6-2.7x.

3 hours ago, KJsooner said:

Tell me almighty one with your gift of foresight what will the movie end up with domestically? 

I swear. I love WW, but I kinda wish now it was a massive failure, bc all these D.C. Twerps come out of the woodwork and start laying it on the mcu movies. Did they forget SS and BvS were massive disappointments? I'm hoping Thor ragnarok outgrosses JL. It'd be hilarious.

SS was a massive success. Lol @ embarrassing. How Sway? It was an unknown entity with bad reviews and did $325M and $745M WW with no China release.

• Like 7