CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

There's alot of proud females and younger girls who fully supported WW and will completely skip JL.

However I agree with this too. Same said if Panther does $350M+ is why IW won't do $450M+ domestic. The audience who went to see Wonder Woman and Panther aren't typically the average CBM audience and the solo movies will have much more of an impact to them than a teamup.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

Apes will test tomato law and superhero law (audiences only want SH movies now).

If Dunkirk also flops despite rave reviews than superhero law will overrule tomato law forever.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Snyder and Batfleck's names will hurt the OW.

Snyder's name will hurt its OW??? Do you live in a bubble? The GA doesn't have a vendetta against Zack and they probably don't even know who he is! Batfleck was also the most well received part in BvS, people loved his Batman...

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Not everyone is willing to easily forget their unpleasant BvS experience.

The GA isn't so invested that they will hold a grudge against one movie. Remember that MoS and WW both have an A on cinemascore. BvS was over a year ago, its time for you detractors to move on! They are more likely to remember WW than BvS.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It has been horrible. Its box office hopes are basically hinging entirely on Tomato Law for its OW and then fantastic WOM kicking in after that. 

But part of what hurts is the franchise factor. Dawn had great WOM with summer weekdays and ended up with a 2.87 multiplier. These movies are never gonna pull the type of multiplier you might see on an original movie, no matter how good the WOM might be. 

Edited by redfirebird2008

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Tomato Law dictates that JL will be lucky to hit 900 m WW.

Why don't you just say it out loud you are a hater by now. Every damn post you make is a jab at DCEU. You are basically Kevin nr 2 here. And the Tomato law lol stop it already. BvS made close to 900 million with horrible reviews and SS made 745 millon with horrible reviews. If JL has even MoS reviews it will earn more that BvS WW. This is JL the freakin Avengers of the DC comics!

Edited by mredman
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

But part of what hurts is the franchise factor. Dawn had great WOM with summer weekdays and ended up with a 2.7 multiplier. These movies are never gonna pull the type of multiplier you might see on an original movie, no matter how good the WOM might be. 

Dawn had a far superior marketing campaign though and opened fairly high. I don't know if this one can go much above low 60's for OW, but I think it can get close to Dawn's total with the WOM. Without the RT reception, I honestly think it would be opening to like 45-50m. That's how poor the marketing has seemed. 

Edited by MovieMan89

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

CW didn't wipe the slate completely clean for SMH.

I see this comment in this thread and I can't really buy it. Below are the domestic totals for all the Spider-Man movies made by Sony. Spider-Man has had a steadily declining domestic take for each subsequent movie without fail, even after the extremely beloved Spider-Man 2. I think people just need to come to accept that Spider-Man, despite being Marvel's biggest character in everything but the movies, is likely just experiencing a loss of interest in the general audience in the US.

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 Spider-Man Sony $403,706,375 3,876 $114,844,116 3,615 5/3/02
2 Spider-Man 2 Sony $373,585,825 4,166 $88,156,227 4,152 6/30/04
3 Spider-Man 3 Sony $336,530,303 4,324 $151,116,516 4,252 5/4/07
4 The Amazing Spider-Man Sony $262,030,663 4,318 $62,004,688 4,318 7/3/12
5 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Sony $202,853,933 4,324 $91,608,337 4,324 5/2/14
6 Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony $117,015,000 4,348 $117,015,000 4,348

7/7/17

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, raegr said:

Snyder's name will hurt its OW??? Do you live in a bubble? The GA doesn't have a vendetta against Zack and they probably don't even know who he is! Batfleck was also the most well received part in BvS, people loved his Batman...

The GA isn't so invested that they will hold a grudge against one movie. Remember that MoS and WW both have an A on cinemascore. BvS was over a year ago, its time for you detractors to move on! They are more likely to remember WW than BvS.

After SMH kinda weak opening it's obvious CW wasn't enough to get audiences to forget about ASM2.

JL is virtually a direct sequel to BvS and BvS had toxic WOM.

There will be an impact.

3 minutes ago, mredman said:

Why don't you just say it out loud you are a hater by now. Every damn post you make is a jab at DCEU. You are basically Kevin nr 2 here. And the Tomato law lol stop it already. BvS made clode to 900 million with  horrible reviews and SS made 745 millon with horrible reviews. If JL has even MoS reviews it will earn more that BvS WW. This is JL the freakin Avengers of the DC comics!

I said twice that ASM2 hurt SMH.

Does that make me a Marvel hater too? 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dawn had a far superior marketing campaign though and opened fairly high. I don't know if this one can go much above low 60's for OW, but I think it can get close to Dawn's total with the WOM. Without the RT reception, I honestly think it would be opening to like 45-50m. That's how poor the marketing has seemed. 

Honestly though, I don't know if we can 100% blame the marketing department. Who came up with the title of the movie? The marketing and the title are just extremely on the nose, especially for a franchise directed at adult moviegoers. All that dialogue from Woody in the trailers...cringe. Fortunately it seems the movie itself is a hell of a lot better than the title or marketing would suggest. 

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It has been horrible. Its box office hopes are basically hinging entirely on Tomato Law for its OW and then fantastic WOM kicking in after that. 

perhaps what Fox thinking, if Tomato law was so powerful, then we just need to make a great movie! make critic on RT to do the marketing job! then we can reduce our marketing expense!!

Could this is why they lift the embargo that early?? 

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Honestly though, I don't know if we can 100% blame the marketing department. Who came up with the title of the movie? The marketing and the title are just extremely on the nose, especially for a franchise directed at adult moviegoers. All that dialogue from Woody in the trailers...cringe. Fortunately it seems the movie itself is a hell of a lot better than the title or marketing would suggest. 

I always wanted it to be called Dominion of the Planet of the Apes, though maybe that word would be a bit much for some of the casual audience lol. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Apes is testing tomato law to the hilt. I fear it gonna wilt. Really wanted each movie in this franchise to increase over the previous installment, much like Lotr and Bourne trio.

Thigs just seem so crowded if you are rooting for multiple movies.

SM is gonna continue to do well. Everyone is rooting for Dunkirk more or less. Am rooting for Apes and Val.

Atomic Blond is releasing after Dunkirk and want that to do great. Mummy, A:C, Pirates, TF took up space in May and June, and now good movies gonna scramble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AHepBurn said:

I see this comment in this thread and I can't really buy it. Below are the domestic totals for all the Spider-Man movies made by Sony. Spider-Man has had a steadily declining domestic take for each subsequent movie without fail, even after the extremely beloved Spider-Man 2. I think people just need to come to accept that Spider-Man, despite being Marvel's biggest character in everything but the movies, is likely just experiencing a loss of interest in the general audience in the US.

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 Spider-Man Sony $403,706,375 3,876 $114,844,116 3,615 5/3/02
2 Spider-Man 2 Sony $373,585,825 4,166 $88,156,227 4,152 6/30/04
3 Spider-Man 3 Sony $336,530,303 4,324 $151,116,516 4,252 5/4/07
4 The Amazing Spider-Man Sony $262,030,663 4,318 $62,004,688 4,318 7/3/12
5 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Sony $202,853,933 4,324 $91,608,337 4,324 5/2/14
6 Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony $117,015,000 4,348 $117,015,000 4,348

7/7/17

Spider-man 3 was worse than SM2.

ASM, to many people, was worse than the Raimi movies.

ASM2 was worse than everything that came before.

People were tired of shitty movies, not Spider-man.

Just now, grey ghost said:

How I wish I could pretend that ASM never existed, solid performance from Andrew but just unnecessary for me....

Actually I think three bad to mixed movies in a row hurt Homecoming's potential. I also think Spider-Man's popularity peaked too.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

That's true to an extent. SM1 would be a $675m domestic grosser in today's dollars with all the ticket price gimmicks Hollywood has added in the last 15 years. Homecoming is probably going to sell half as many tickets. It's not unfair to say Spidey probably peaked in popularity with SM1/SM2 and won't ever get back to those levels again.