CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Spider-man 3 was worse than SM2.

ASM, to many people, was worse than the Raimi movies.

ASM2 was worse than everything that came before.

People were tired of shitty movies, not Spider-man.

Dude, did your parents lock you in your basement throwing bread at you? All you do is bitch and complain? Smile FFS

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

perhaps what Fox thinking, if Tomato law was so powerful, then we just need to make a great movie! make critic on RT to do the marketing job! then we can reduce our marketing expense!!

Could this is why they lift the embargo that early?? 

Lol, it would be interesting to see studio's actually adopt this approach if they know they have a winner on their hands. Just lift embargos early and let RT do the marketing. 

On 7/9/2017 at 6:03 AM, EmpireCity said:

I think this is going to be an important film socially and people will go out of their way to help it despite any potential warts.  

Mark me down for $100m+ opening.  Reviews matter and if this is in the 90%+ positive range than I think it could go higher.  That first trailer also has a great reaction from nearly everyone.  

Agree

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mredman said:

and ASM2 did not hurt SMH. So what the hell are you babbling about really.

Adjusted for inflation, SMH, one of the best MCU films, opened only 20 m more than the worst Spider-man movie.

That's pathetic.

Do some research before you disrespect people, Einstein.

• Like 1

I don't understand how anyone can think a little girl who watched WW and was inspired by it won't want to see her in JL in November. This makes absolutely no sense to me. My niece who is 9 saw WW with a JL preview in front of it and as soon as the movie was over she said she couldn't wait for JL . I could understand the older female crowd skipping JL but if they loved WW as much as I think I have a feeling a lot of you are gonna be wrong on that front as well. 

I guess we'll see once November hits. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

I don't understand how anyone can think a little girl wo watched WW and was inspired by it won't want to see her in JL in November. This makes absolutely no sense to me. My niece who is 9 saw WW with a JL preview in front of it and as soon as the movie was over she said she couldn't wait for JL . I could understand the older female crowd skipping JL but if they loved WW as much as I think I have a feeling a lot of you are gonna be wrong on that front as well. 

Just leave the haters...

They will be in for a huge surprise come November :)

I worry that they will shoehorn a bunch of scenes with Wonder Woman into JL that are completely unnecessary, which will make what is likely already a messy movie even messier, and in turn could even go as far as dampening some of the hype for her character and WW2. 

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I don't understand how anyone can think a little girl who watched WW and was inspired by it won't want to see her in JL in November. This makes absolutely no sense to me. My niece who is 9 saw WW with a JL preview in front of it and as soon as the movie was over she said she couldn't wait for JL . I could understand the older female crowd skipping JL but if they loved WW as much as I think I have a feeling a lot of you are gonna be wrong on that front as well. 

The older audience is the part I was talking about.

43 minutes ago, Eevin said:

I'm not sold on 400+ for Justice League yet, but people predicting sub-BvS at this point are probably in for a wake-up call. Wonder Woman's massive overperformance should at least get it to 350 / 900 regardless of how good it is.

JL will not do worse then BvS, largeley because of the WW factor..audiences will want more of gadot's Wondy, but not sure it will do much better.

One thing is sure Warners kept a close eye and a tight rein on Snyder;he did not have the kind of freedom he did on BvS. That Warners replaced Snyder's cinematographer just a

few days into production and made the huge shake ups in the  DC film division shows that.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That's true to an extent. SM1 would be a $675m domestic grosser in today's dollars with all the ticket price gimmicks Hollywood has added in the last 15 years. Homecoming is probably going to sell half as many tickets. It's not unfair to say Spidey probably peaked in popularity with SM1/SM2 and won't ever get back to those levels again. 

I admit the franchise peaked right out the gate.

But three progressively bad movies in a row would mortally wound any franchise to an extent.

Homecoming did everything right and it won't make half of SM1 adjusted.

It's like Batman Begins going through growing pains thanks to Batman and Robin.

• Like 2

Just now, grey ghost said:

I admit the franchise peaked right out the gate.

But three progressively bad movies in a row would mortally wound any franchise to an extent.

Homecoming did everything right and it won't make half of SM1 adjusted.

It's like Batman Begins going through growing pains thanks to Batman and Robin.

Yes, although Batman Begins didn't have a booster like the Joker involved. RDJ's Stark is a huge boost for Homecoming. I am curious to see how it goes in the future with potential sequels. They played that card once...now what? 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Yes, although Batman Begins didn't have a booster like the Joker involved. RDJ's Stark is a huge boost for Homecoming. I am curious to see how it goes in the future with potential sequels. They played that card once...now what? 

The deal requires another MCU character in the Homecoming sequel.

6 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Little girls have parents who take them to the movies.

They're not going to pay 40-60 bucks to sit through another BvS.

They'll be watching to see if reviews and WOM compares to WW.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I worry that they will shoehorn a bunch of scenes with Wonder Woman into JL that are completely unnecessary, which will make what is likely already a messy movie even messier, and in turn could even go as far as dampening some of the hype for her character and WW2. 

I am not sure they will go WW2 for the second film. No confirmation of that.

Though if they do, they had better bring in Sgt.Rock and Easy Company...

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I could see the studio people attempting to ride the bandwagon. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully they can put together a good movie. 

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Who made that demand?

Sony or Marvel?

Sony.

Sony will get a to-be-determined Marvel character for Spider-Man 2 like it received for Homecoming with the box-office monster Iron Man, played by Robert Downey Jr. But sources say it won't be Iron Man next time around.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Spider-man 3 was worse than SM2.

ASM, to many people, was worse than the Raimi movies.

ASM2 was worse than everything that came before.

People were tired of shitty movies, not Spider-man.

I'd argue that oversaturation did more harm to Spider-Man than bad reviews ever could. This is the sixth Spider-Man movie in 15-years with a 5-year and a 3-year gap between solos (2-year gap between last solo and ensemble). It's not a very ideal situation. We had an 8-year gap between the Burton to Nolan series for Batman, allowing the character to recover. Then we had a 4-year gap between the Nolan to DCEU series with the character in an ensemble role instead of a solo, again giving time for the character to recover. The next Batman solo will happen a full 6-years after the last at worse. I just don't think there's really any novelty with Spider-Man right now.

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Dr. Ock is Spider-man's Joker but that's an ambitious task because it bring direct comparisons to SM2.

• Like 1