CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | ANNABELLE 2 - $35m; DUNKIRK - $11.4m; NUT JOB 2 - $8.9m; BABY DRIVER Crosses $100m!!!

4 minutes ago, Blankments said:

alright

Hide contents

So that scene is easily the best part of the film for a variety of reasons, but it cuts literally 30 seconds before when it should for maximum impact. Why do we need to see three different angles of a crash of some nobody henchman? The coolest look at it anyway is from the interior of the car right before the cut! This prevents the T-boning of the car into the river from being visceral; imagine cutting right after the car gets hit out of nowhere from the side. That would make the ending of that shot sing so much better, instead the bizarre abrupt ending of the car behind them crashing

This was legit the first thing I said to my friends after the movie, and although I still think the scene all around is very good, it gets me mad that it doesn't stick the landing at all IMO

Spoiler

I also thought it was a very strange choice to have many angle/slow motion destroying what I doubt that scene was building and incrementing tension wise, felt a bit if you are gonna spent X on that stunt accident it is better being shown type of thing.

• Like 1

Nut Job 2 did our equivalent of 4.3M at my theatre today. Decent all things considered, mostly because it's a smaller town and families are dying for kids content; even Emoji is doing pretty fucking well here.

11 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Assuming 3.2 holds, probably around 10.5-11 million.

Which would take it to 152.8-153.3, about 4.2-4.7 behind MI5. Last weekend it was 5.3 behind, so will close the gap a little if 10.5-11 happens.

Edited by a2knet

16 minutes ago, kitik said:

the long range forecast at pro.boxoffice.com shows Blade Runner at 44/115

I hope it can do more than that, but I'm afraid it might not even go that high because it's such a specific niche.

I have my doubts at anything over 50m for BR. 

I really have to learn to take early numbers with a grain of salt again. 14.5mil isn't bad but it ain't 17mil either. Oh well. Glass Castle did better than I thought it would. Dark Tower is another not so one week wonder that some pretended opened well for whichever reason. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I really have to learn to take early numbers with a grain of salt again. 14.5mil isn't bad but it ain't 17mil either. Oh well.

Yeah going by pre-release expectations I think most were thinking 25+. Now 32-34 might sound low due to expectations of 38-40 but it's still above what most of us anticipated.

Edited by a2knet

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Yeah going by pre-release expectations I think most were thinking 25+. Now 32-34 might sound low due to expectations of 38-40 but it's still above what most of us anticipated.

Yep. The number is good and I predicted 30.6mil...at least on twitter I did. Lol

41 minutes ago, MattW said:

So Annabelle did stronger in earlier shows than its doing this evening for the true Friday projection to go from 12-13 down to 10.  That's kind of interesting.

Or it just didn't turn out as expected at night...theaters could have just died when the expectation was that this would sell out (or at least mostly fill) late shows with walk ups...