Alpha

CAYOM: Year 1 - Actuals

2 minutes ago, spaghetti! said:

This is assuming a mega/ultra breakout. If all goes well, it could be another Gravity.

That is true. I really want it to do well...hence being the #1 on my Top 25 :) 

I am hoping Academy can be the White Hurricane of September....but that might be too positive since most people on here dislike my story telling and desire to be controversial . 

2 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

I am hoping Academy can be the White Hurricane of September....but that might be too positive since most people on here dislike my story telling and desire to be controversial . 

The Academy (the way you described it) is a black comedy while White Hurricane is a disaster drama. Even if they were equally good they wouldn't be comparable in the slightest.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

I try to be open minded about these movies. There's a lot of movies I really like despite me not agreeing with the main message, and I love a good controversial movie. I'd like to see you give it another try, Hic.

• Like 1

@spaghetti! and @cookie I am not expecting The Academy to be a 100M+ grosser. Frankly 60M-100M is the range I want it to make domestic. Horror comedies are hard to appeal to the GA (look at Cabin in the Woods). It isn't so in your face as other controversial films I have made. It is digestible for the GA but still makes them think. Okay I might enter spoiler territory but it targets the issue how rich white men tend to get away with shit that most people would not get away with. Its message is positive but at the same time very twisted. I would say the closest film comparison is The Heathers. It is Heathers meets Scream meets Mean Girls. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

@spaghetti! and @cookie I am not expecting The Academy to be a 100M+ grosser. Frankly 60M-100M is the range I want it to make domestic. Horror comedies are hard to appeal to the GA (look at Cabin in the Woods). It isn't so in your face as other controversial films I have made. It is digestible for the GA but still makes them think. Okay I might enter spoiler territory but it targets the issue how rich white men tend to get away with shit that most people would not get away with. Its message is positive but at the same time very twisted. I would say the closest film comparison is The Heathers. It is Heathers meets Scream meets Mean Girls. 

I just said it since I'm doing the actuals next year and just made it clear so you don't get too high expectations about its box office potential (plus if that advance schedule pans out there's going to be a lot of competition). But if it gets Get Out-level reception or close to it (it certainly sounds subversive enough) the sky could be the limit.

But you won't be only one who'll be doing controversial stuff next year.:sparta:

It is a passion projection. FYI. I just want to get it out there and I am praying for good reception.

Also @cookie you gotta remember this film isn't exactly like every other horror film being released. I think it will stand out..with the cast and story. Gotta remember these films have marketing as well. :) 

I ain't gonna say which films but I will hand out a few hints:

They're all on the advance schedule. Some involve:

- LGBT main character in a blockbuster franchise starter where sexual- and gender issues and homophobia are major topics
- Anti-corporatist message plus commentary on the military industrial complex and the decline of paper-based news media
- A dark reflection on current politics with an obvious Trump proxy and a twisted metaphor on toxic masculiinty
- Pro-anarchist revolution
- A story set in Japanese-occupied Indochina with acknowledgement of Japanese war crimes plus 1940s racism

(I should point out all examples are from separate films to avoid confusion)

And perhaps most controversial of all:

A psuedo-sequel to Disney's Dinosaur :redcapes:

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Some of the movies I mentioned I have been ruminating on for years (I intended to post them back in 2.0) so I've had plenty of time to figure out the themes and message to them.

Others came up because the opportunity arose with the story.:sparta:

9 minutes ago, cookie said:

Some of the movies I mentioned I have been ruminating on for years (I intended to post them back in 2.0) so I've had plenty of time to figure out the themes and message to them.

Others came up because the opportunity arose with the story.:sparta:

Then the pseudo-sequel to Dinosaur shouldn't have a problem being the next Citizen Kane.

:sparta:

Edited by Rorschach

Y2 will be interesting (and nerve-wracking) for me because it'll be the first time I'm emotionally invested in any of my flicks. This year honestly SWAT Kats and Extreme Dinosaurs are ones I care about to any significant degree, and that's pretty much just me being a fan of the shows and hoping to start franchises.

I've always wanted to try and write a film with a clear social message, but it's just been really hard to work it in. Plus, you've gotta make sure your take ages well.

However, one of my films next year Night in the Woods (based on the video game) is basically a "Rust Belt gothic" story about deindustrialization and the slow death of rural America, and I'm planning to adapt it with a sort of anti-capitalist message underneath.

While we're on the topic of controversy....Among my Y2 films, they include themes of...

--The failings of our national health care system

--A look at the LGBT community and being non-binary in terms of gender

--the stifling unwritten rules of capitalism

--the power dynamics of men and women

--sexism, racism, and homophobia within politics, appearing subtly

--a satire of how parents can treat their kids like garbage or put them on a pedestal and unknowingly put a great deal of pressure on them

--the failings of our educational system

--an unflinching look at sexual assault on college campuses

• Like 3