baumer

Geostorm (2017)

Grade it  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I'm pretty stunned at how lame the trailers made this out to be.  The money shots were there but they really dropped the ball on how well the human relationships were developed.  I enjoyed the film in every aspect.  The relationships were good and touching and the science was a little far fetched but because you get invested in the film you kind of ignore the faults.  I even got a bit choked up with the brother angle because it made me think of mine.  

Over all this is a great way to spend two hours.  

8.5/10

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

That was really stupid. I know with this kind of movie you have to some suspension of disbelief but the filmmakers have to make some effort to come up with a semi plausible scenario. 

Kessler Syndrome?

A side mounted Shuttle?

At least it wasn’t as dull and boring as The Snowman. 

Edited by DeeCee

This movie is effectively a really dumb 90's disaster movie that got preserved in a time capsule until present day and then played 100% straight. I'm not even kidding, you could make a goddamn drinking game with all the disaster movie cliches that are unironically used here.

• Brilliant Scientist Protagonist who 'don't play by your rules'? Take a drink.
  • Stuffy politicians/suits who get in his way and/or just don't understand? Take a drink
  • Uninteresting Family issues that get way too much focus? Take a drink.
  • Foreign Stereotype sidekicks? Take a drink.
  • Unsubtle Global Warming Commentary? Take a drink.
  • Questionable Computing/Science? Ha! You'd be dead in the first 20 minutes.
  • Protagonists somehow making their way through disasters that clearly should've fucking killed them? As if you even need to ask.

Don't get me wrong, if 'dumb 90's disaster movie played 100% straight' is your sort of thing, then you'll probably get at least some enjoyment out of this. God knows I did. But it's really not exactly a good movie. C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Poorly directed. No sense of thrust, or propulsion of story.

ID4 from its first frame is impending doom and each scene raises the tension and stakes for the characters. Its a ticking clock until the aliens arrive. The Score and Sound Design are great and give the film a Drive.

This movie has lazy stock sound design and Music. it just sits there until the like 70 minutes in the movie.

Hated the awful bookends with the pointless daughter too.

Also what proves the director is clueless is the fact he shows the space station 6 times already but then he gives up a fucking 90 second Star Trek The motion Picture first time seeing the enterprise moment and/or Arrival of the island of Jurassic Park moment. Dude doesn't realize , Those work because we haven't seen the ship/island yet and there haven't been any money shots yet.

However this movie does have Gerard Butler and Andy Garcia sooooo

Also want to make it clear, I come off like a hater but I'm lover still. I mean I knew what I was getting into, I payed to see it. Im glad I saw it and was a good way to spend 2 hours. If I could go back in time I would still do it all over again. 

C- (72)

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 3

On 10/21/2017 at 10:32 PM, Water Bottle said:

As fun as it is stupid. I enjoyed myself a lot and that's what I wanted from Geostorm. Having said that MAJOR points off for not having a fucking Geostorm.

B-

I like that the film wasn’t actully a disaster movie.

When you look at it the movie is really a conspiracy plot.

my Score was 6/10 but after thinking about it I brought it up to a 7.5/10.

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

I like that the film wasn’t actully a disaster movie.

When you look at it the movie is really a conspiracy plot.

my Score was 6/10 but after thinking about it I brought it up to a 7.5/10.

Then don't call the freaking movie Geostorm. :lol:

I - I can't even review this cohesively because I was just amazed and confounded.

• The bookends bit was dumb. "We were warned but we didn't listen so we exacerbated the problem by fighting storms with storms." ok the premise is dumb too.
  • A lot of the jokes are kind of funny. 
    • "We never went fishing." "...Oh I'm - sorry?" 
      • I highly enjoyed Zazie and the Secret Service lady.
  • I liked seeing the collection of people from around the world, and didn't think they were stereotyped, simply because they didn't have enough to do to be that way. Like they introduce 5 people and four of them are only seen once more an hour later.
  • A rule of filmmaking is to not remind the audience of a better movie than the one we're watching. Especially one that was also distributed by Warner Brothers and starred Gerard Butler. I have no idea if they did that on purpose but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they did. I legit thought "You know, I really could be home watching that instead." 
  • This movie is 1hr 36 minutes.
    • 1 hour is people walking back and forth on earth or on a space station.
    • Thirty minutes are people on computers
    • 6 minutes are natural disasters in places mostly occupied by people of color.
  • Truth be told, the lack of Geostorming didn't bother me a ton because I....was actually interested enough in the space station and the plot.
  • I like how near the end they just forget about using storms and Dutch Boy is shooting a goddamn laser at a coastline. 

The Tech is actually pretty accurate...

Spoiler

except the actual defeating of the virus. Sure you could turn the system off but it's not going to flush anything out. At best, it's not going to be running until you start an executable file depending on where it is on your system. So it's a step but not a final problem-solver.

I would probably watch it again. C

• Like 2

Geostorm is really dumb. The entire setup lacks any logic and the series of misfortunes that transpires in it would not allow its main characters to get the happy ending they do. Yet, it’s still pretty fun. There’s some inventive disaster stuff in it and the vibe is very SyFy original movie with an enormous budget. It’s very 90s in its politics but that adds to the strong genre throwback vibe. Geostorm isn’t good but it’s not boring, and that makes it one of the better bad movies of 2017. D