Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

5 minutes ago, Just Tele said:

Short answer: no

Slightly longer answer: maybe, if it seems to help you discover them.

Slightly longer answer: Every writers' process is different. It may work for you, or not, or kinda work. It's up to you.

going off these answers, it seems more likely I find the characters through talking it out with a friend, much like how last night I developed a (what I believe to be) well-thought-out fantasy world with the main characters as ideas rather than with personalities so far.

I guess I'll do that later today lol

3 minutes ago, Poe Blankeron said:

going off these answers, it seems more likely I find the characters through talking it out with a friend, much like how last night I developed a (what I believe to be) well-thought-out fantasy world with the main characters as ideas rather than with personalities so far.

I guess I'll do that later today lol

So talk it out and if necessary (and if they're willing), record it so you have more than just your memory. Or use those questionnaire things as a jumping-off point -- don't treat them literally, but as a way to start thinking about them outside of the story/universe you're creating.

Edited by Just Tele
  • Like 1

Just now, Just Tele said:

So talk it out and if necessary (and if they're willing), record it so you have more than just your memory.

Oh don't worry, I took notes last night. I have a file I'm putting together that's gonna be laid out with like WORLD RULES; CHARACTER TRAITS; and of course, the final outline before I begin writing.

There's too much spitballing that ends up being bad that I don't think is worth recording myself.

• Like 1

Just remember to put all of your characters through the 200 part Mary Sue which requires your character to be within a strict 20-40 range to be considered “a strong character”!

DONT PULL A DISNEY!!  DONT MAKE ANOTHER MARY REY SUE!

Edited by New Year New Panda
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Poe Blankeron said:

LOL strong characters are boring

I'm excited to write this mainly because I'm going with child protagonists, a whole buncha sadness and a fantasy setting WITHOUT a dumb chosen one narrative

So..... un-produceable? :ph34r: 

Edited by Just Tele
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

finished the first season of marvelous mrs maisel. overall it was pretty wonderful. doing research afterwards i noticed a pretty weird oversight though, and that's that rachel brosnahan hasn't been cast in every single major motion picture currently in production. seriously she's amazing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

finished the first season of marvelous mrs maisel. overall it was pretty wonderful. doing research afterwards i noticed a pretty weird oversight though, and that's that rachel brosnahan hasn't been cast in every single major motion picture currently in production. seriously she's amazing.

1 week ago:

On 1/7/2018 at 9:55 PM, CoolioD1 said:

sometimes i think the golden globes make up tv shows to award.

• Haha 1