Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It's worth making an extra trek for both of them tbh, especially the former.

Looked at the upcoming schedule and it looks like Phantom Thread is coming to my theater on Friday. So maybe there's some hope after all.

Anyway, I've already seen three of the nominees: Get Out, Dunkirk, and Lady Bird. Now its just trying to figure out which ones I want to see the most and ordering my viewing order accordingly.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Such as? It's not like my parents are going to let me see a psychiatrist. The last time I brought that possibility up, I was shamed about it (IE "Do you really need to see a psychiatrist?").

As for a job, if someone's hiring that's not fast food, I'll apply, but unfortunately nobody is right now.

You still enrolled in a community college? Should be a counselor

And yea I'd say a psychiatrist but I get parents being dumbos, believe me lol

What's wrong with fast food? It's a first job man, don't look down on it

• Like 2

Just now, Chewy said:

You still enrolled in a community college? Should be a counselor

And yea I'd say a psychiatrist but I get parents being dumbos, believe me lol

What's wrong with fast food? It's a first job man, don't look down on it

The only counseling my school has is academic advising. The school isn't that well-funded.

Parents won't let me get a fast food job for some pretty naive and slightly racist reasons.

• Sad 1

Just now, Rorschach said:

Looked at the upcoming schedule and it looks like Phantom Thread is coming to my theater on Friday. So maybe there's some hope after all.

Anyway, I've already seen three of the nominees: Get Out, Dunkirk, and Lady Bird. Now its just trying to figure out which ones I want to see the most and ordering my viewing order accordingly.

Call Me by Your Name, The Post, The Shape of Water, and Three Billboards are all in my top 10 of the year so there ya go as to what to prioritize. Phantom Thread is really good too. Darkest Hour...uh, not so much (though I didn't dislike it immensely like a number of people here have).

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Call Me by Your Name, The Post, The Shape of Water, and Three Billboards are all in my top 10 of the year so there ya go as to what to prioritize. Phantom Thread is really good too. Darkest Hour...uh, not so much (though I didn't dislike it immensely like a number of people here have).

My Personal Preferences based on excitement:

1. The Shape of Water 

2. Call Me by Your Name

3. Three Billboards

4. Phantom Thread

5. The Post 

6. Darkest Hour (probably won't be able get to this one. It's losing a few showings at my local theater)

Edited by Rorschach

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Such as? It's not like my parents are going to let me see a psychiatrist. The last time I brought that possibility up, I was shamed about it (IE "Do you really need to see a psychiatrist?").

As for a job, if someone's hiring that's not fast food, I'll apply, but unfortunately nobody is right now.

Is there a teacher you can sort of talk to like Woody Harrelson...

...Perhaps they know of a way to get you to the right person from there

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The only counseling my school has is academic advising. The school isn't that well-funded.

Parents won't let me get a fast food job for some pretty naive and slightly racist reasons.

There are online options but honestly you'll be much better off face-to-face.

To be honest you might be better off just spending a couple weeks picking a major so you can tell your mom, know you can always change it later. Get out of that situation, at least get some distance from it. Bigger school will have much better counseling options, don't be afraid to look into them

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Maybe a therapist instead of a psychiatrist?

Also, don’t worry if they make you do another year at a community college: just make sure your credits are transferable and don’t worry about getting an AA. 

You could also just pick a major — don’t worry too much about whether it’s “perfect”. 

• Like 2

Just now, Chewy said:

To be honest you might be better off just spending a couple weeks picking a major so you can tell your mom, know you can always change it later. Get out of that situation, at least get some distance from it. Bigger school will have much better counseling options, don't be afraid to look into them

Oh I know that; she kind of gets it but not really as evident by the whole transient thing. Off campus housing typically has a 9-10 month lease, so maybe that would help persuade her that she wouldn't really be wasting money?

Just now, Just Tele said:

Maybe a therapist instead of a psychiatrist?

Also, don’t worry if they make you do another year at a community college: just make sure your credits are transferable and don’t worry about getting an AA. 

You could also just pick a major — don’t worry too much about whether it’s “perfect”. 

In Florida, it's law that your credits are transferable with an AA. The science classes I took won't be transferable without an AA, but I'll have enough credits after this summer semester.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh I know that; she kind of gets it but not really as evident by the whole transient thing. Off campus housing typically has a 9-10 month lease, so maybe that would help persuade her that she wouldn't really be wasting money?

Or you just lie, get in too deep, and if it's not going well, change. :sparta:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Or you just lie, get in too deep, and if it's not going well, change. :sparta:

We're talking about the woman who thinks a single W on your academic record fucks you over for the rest of your school years; that might be tough :lol: 

Just now, Chewy said:

This is really the only option that you got, @WrathOfHan. I told you months ago you needed to nip this depression thing before you really get going in college. It's only going to get worse with the mix of stress and work load. Plenty of people go into college without a real idea of what they want to do. Look at colleges and what majors they offer. Get a few ideas in your head and see what best suits you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

We're talking about the woman who thinks a single W on your academic record fucks you over for the rest of your school years; that might be tough :lol: 

Meh at that point, you'll be an adult by legal definition. She can pull your funding, yes....but hey, my parents didn't spend a single cent on my college career, I was saddled with it but I made it work. 

YOLO and go for it, especially if you have a bunch of transferrable credit. You're already so far ahead of other folks. When it comes down to it, your parents will (probably) allow you to keep going because of sunk costs.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

Just now, MrGamer said:

This is really the only option that you got, @WrathOfHan. I told you months ago you needed to nip this depression thing before you really get going in college. It's only going to get worse with the mix of stress and work load. Plenty of people go into college without a real idea of what they want to do. Look at colleges and what majors they offer. Get a few ideas in your head and see what best suits you. 

I want to give political science a shot and am pretty set on that for now. It's not a "set in stone" major, but I think I'd enjoy studying it. My mom thinks that any major will be worthless until I figure out what kind of career I want.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I want to give political science a shot and am pretty set on that for now. It's not a "set in stone" major, but I think I'd enjoy studying it. My mom thinks that any major will be worthless until I figure out what kind of career I want.

I was a History major when I started college. After a year and a half, I figured it wasn't for me and there wasn't a lot I could do with a History degree outside of teaching and fuck that noise. I switched to Communications with a concentration on New Media and I was happier for it. But yes, you need to really think about and research what you can do with the degree you're pursuing. You don't want to graduate with a worthless degree, a bunch of debt and your dick in your hands. 

• Like 1

Just now, MrGamer said:

I was a History major when I started college. After a year and a half, I figured it wasn't for me and there wasn't a lot I could do with a History degree outside of teaching and fuck that noise. I switched to Communications with a concentration on New Media and I was happier for it. But yes, you need to really think about and research what you can do with the degree you're pursuing. You don't want to graduate with a worthless degree, a bunch of debt and your dick in your hands. 

That'd be good, no? :jeb!: