CAYOM 3.0 Year 2 Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Damn, that Voltron shade :lol: @Xillix

It's not shade, it's still a damn positive review. If you want me to enumerate my issues with major spoilers...

Spoiler

-Obviously copying the ending of GotG2. I know that movie "didn't happen" in this universe but IMO that's no excuse.

-To me, it felt odd to basically kill Keith, then have him come back to life because he got super lucky in a really unlikely way, then kill him again in a mostly-unseen mech battle that doesn't need to be there at all. Just let him die in the chasm if you're gonna kill him, it makes a lot more sense and doesn't disrupt the flow.

-Speaking of which, killing Keith in the climax had a LOT less emotional impact when the Black Paladin died at the end of the last one too. It felt "been there done that" which is never something you should be able to say about a major character death.

-We finally have a movie where, for most of the runtime, they can theoretically form Voltron, but we only get two real full-size Voltron fight scenes, both of which are on some level jokes. I appreciate the artistic decision to barely show the last one as Keith makes his sacrifice, but again, there's no reason for that battle to happen. We've never even heard of Cybeasts until the battle with Lotor's, and then suddenly Hagar shows up a minute later and happens to have one? A better one? The logical climax would have been in the chasm. The last battle feels like padding.

-I didn't buy Pidge being so selfish she flew off in the middle of a VERY IMPORTANT mission instead of sneaking out on her own some other time that's less critical. To me, that entire subplot with her and Lance felt a bit too long anyway.

-I would've liked to see a little more of a buildup/process to Lance and Allura being accepted by their new lions. It's been a year and they haven't had any indication they're supposed to have new assignments, and then suddenly it just happens all at once?

-Lotor didn't do much rising, really. I felt like Hagar took up a bit too much focus and screen time. I know she was very much the secondary villain plot-wise, but she's also still the biggest in-universe threat, which felt kind of awkward. Especially when the last movie ended with the dramatic "Summon Prince Lotor" thing and then in this one, a year later he's just... fighting in some arena somewhere with no apparent authority whatsoever?

-Some of the comic relief felt ill-placed - some of Lance's quips, the sudden flamethrower, etc.

-Lotor's posse... at no point did I remember who any of them were. They felt like they blended together which I suspect is a symptom of too many named characters and time that could've been spent on them going to Haggar and/or the Pidge/Lance subplot instead.

And again, it was still very good.

Just now, Xillix said:

It's not shade, it's still a damn positive review. If you want me to enumerate my issues with major spoilers...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I was talking about TTAFfBH :lol:

11 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Hide contents

-Obviously copying the ending of GotG2. I know that movie "didn't happen" in this universe but IMO that's no excuse.

-To me, it felt odd to basically kill Keith, then have him come back to life because he got super lucky in a really unlikely way, then kill him again in a mostly-unseen mech battle that doesn't need to be there at all. Just let him die in the chasm if you're gonna kill him, it makes a lot more sense and doesn't disrupt the flow.

-Speaking of which, killing Keith in the climax had a LOT less emotional impact when the Black Paladin died at the end of the last one too. It felt "been there done that" which is never something you should be able to say about a major character death.

-We finally have a movie where, for most of the runtime, they can theoretically form Voltron, but we only get two real full-size Voltron fight scenes, both of which are on some level jokes. I appreciate the artistic decision to barely show the last one as Keith makes his sacrifice, but again, there's no reason for that battle to happen. We've never even heard of Cybeasts until the battle with Lotor's, and then suddenly Hagar shows up a minute later and happens to have one? A better one? The logical climax would have been in the chasm. The last battle feels like padding.

-I didn't buy Pidge being so selfish she flew off in the middle of a VERY IMPORTANT mission instead of sneaking out on her own some other time that's less critical. To me, that entire subplot with her and Lance felt a bit too long anyway.

-I would've liked to see a little more of a buildup/process to Lance and Allura being accepted by their new lions. It's been a year and they haven't had any indication they're supposed to have new assignments, and then suddenly it just happens all at once?

-Lotor didn't do much rising, really. I felt like Hagar took up a bit too much focus and screen time. I know she was very much the secondary villain plot-wise, but she's also still the biggest in-universe threat, which felt kind of awkward. Especially when the last movie ended with the dramatic "Summon Prince Lotor" thing and then in this one, a year later he's just... fighting in some arena somewhere with no apparent authority whatsoever?

-Some of the comic relief felt ill-placed - some of Lance's quips, the sudden flamethrower, etc.

-Lotor's posse... at no point did I remember who any of them were. They felt like they blended together which I suspect is a symptom of too many named characters and time that could've been spent on them going to Haggar and/or the Pidge/Lance subplot instead.

I can answer some of these.

- Keith didn't die when Lotor threw the spear at him. I don't know where you got that from. He only really died at the very end.

- Lotor's "rising" is supposed to be a bit ironic. He does "rise" as rather smooth-talking and postured at the beginning of the film but more and more he loses his shit and his respect for his generals and by the time the Balmera fight happens he's basically turned into a wrestling announcer plus a violent sociopath, only to realize too late that him fucking up Balmera and killing one of his generals is far removed from where he started. The complete title would be more "The Rise and Subsequent Fall of Lotor".

- The "Summon Lotor" from the original is resulting from the fact that the show plays out very similarly and the one year time skip kinda messes a few things up. I probably should've made it more clear that Haggar attempted to make him join her cause but Lotor decided not to.

- Pidge being selfish is kind of the point, and supposed to make the payoff to her subplot all the more devastating as she abandoned her friends for nothing. Plus I tried to setting up as much as possible that Coran's refusal to let her search for her brother only added to her desperation.

- I can concur that killing Keith after "killing" Shiro is a bit repetitive but A) I wanted to end the film on a darker note and B ) (MAJOR VOLTRON 3 SPOILER) a very minor scene in the first film is going to pay off in a massive way in the third film.

- Part of the idea with Voltron is that I don't want to overuse him, so that it's a special thing whenever he's on screen.

12 minutes ago, Xillix said:

@cookie

I know that 

Hide contents

Keith didn't really die when he was speared. That's why I said "basically." The point stands that it makes a lot more sense for him to just die there instead of having another Cybeast battle for no reason.

I will have to disagree on this part, at least in the way it was set up. But it's your opinion and I'm fine with it.

• Like 1