Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

I think the Best Actress race is between Riva and Lawrence with Chastain slightly behind these two. With Riva I have always believed that her biggest hurdle was the nomination. Now that she has the nomination she will do very well in head-to-head matchups with other actors.1. Riva2. Lawrence3. Chastain4. Watts5. Wallis

1 and 2 right now are definitely Riva and Lawrence. Everyone else don't have a chance anymore.

Yep and Riva is ahead because not only her performance is better than Lawrence's in SLP, she is also the sort of actorthat the AMPAS members like to celebrate.

Yep and Riva is ahead because not only her performance is better than Lawrence's in SLP, she is also the sort of actorthat the AMPAS members like to celebrate.

And it'd be lifetime achievement. Lawrence still has decades ahead of her. I think that Riva will win BFCA. Edited by riczhang

I'd vote for Riva, but I'm currently guessing Lawrence wins.

BFCA is still made up of critics so I think that Riva could pull this off. [And I bet GG feels really stupid right now not nomming Riva] I'd love it if Riva could win the Oscar as well, Academy Award Winner Emmanuelle Riva has a nice ring to it.

Sorry guys, french quota is full.Plus, NOBODY knows Riva in the US.Same in France, she was never been in a big box office hit maybe some medium auteur hit in the 50's or 60's but that was a long time ago ...I didn't know her before Oscar season, my parents barely knew her name.She is a nobody.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Sorry guys, french quota is full.

Plus, NOBODY knows Riva in the US.

Same in France, she was never been in a big box office hit maybe some medium auteur hit in the 50's or 60's but that was a long time ago ...

I didn't know her before Oscar season, my parents barely knew her name.

She is a nobody.

None of this is relevant. She got in without a major studio backing her. Amour has been nominated for BP,BD etc. which means that every AMPAS voter is now going to watch the movie. Riva is flat out better than any of her competitors this year so she is the favorite for now.

lol A Veteran actress who's worked for over 60 years in movies directed by Alan Resnais, Melville and Kieslowski is a nobody?

Isn't that a bit much?

Yeah, I don't think people get the dynamics in play here. She didn't have Harvey or a major studio machine behind her and she still made it through. It never happens with foreign language movies unless they are big commerical hits. Now every AMPAS member gets to compare her performance directly with Lawrence (who isn't even a lead) and Chastain ( who is in a movie that hasn't gotten much traction with AMPAS members). Amour has won every European award over the past 8 months and Best Actress is the category where it has its best shot at the Oscars.

lol A Veteran actress who's worked for over 60 years in movies directed by Alan Resnais, Melville and Kieslowski is a nobody?

Isn't that a bit much?

No.

Cold hard facts. She is an auteur legend meaning she is known only from cinephiles which are never a big crew in any country.

I didn't know her and I looove movies but I don't watch a lot of movies prior to the 70's.

Cotillard was a rising star playing the most famous french singer in history.

But Riva can win, it would be a big surprise but after the noms of today, I say anything is possible.

Edited by The Futurist