Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

I thought it looked really good. A lot better then the Oscar crap they have :P (And better then Pukey Mike :P)

I thought that it could have been this The Help like movie, but they've turned a not really too Oscary film, and tried too hard to turn it into an awards film, which dooms it to fail. The Help succeeded because it wasn't trying to sell itself as an awards film, and not Won't Back Down is riding off of The Help's Oscar success, and trying way too hard to go the same route, and failing.

I just saw Take This Waltz and Michelle Williams is really, really, really fantastic in it. If whoever distributed it pays for a good campaign for her at the end of the year I could see her getting her third consecutive nomination in this category.

I just saw Take This Waltz and Michelle Williams is really, really, really fantastic in it. If whoever distributed it pays for a good campaign for her at the end of the year I could see her getting her third consecutive nomination in this category.

Uhm... Take This Waltz was a 2011 movie.

Wasn't it released last week?

It's classified as a 2011 movie, as the studio did a FYC campaign for it last year.Wait, it was released last week? I saw it probably last November... but admittedly it was at TIFF, but it's surprising they took them that long to find a distributor and get it into theatres. It was a real good movie. Edited by riczhang

There was a film nominated in 1927/1928 and 1928/1929-then again rules were diffrent then :PForiegn films are strange-films have been nominated for 2 years with those, I had a list of it on BOM.

There was a film nominated in 1927/1928 and 1928/1929-then again rules were diffrent then :PForiegn films are strange-films have been nominated for 2 years with those, I had a list of it on BOM.

Foreign Language films are slightly different, as in the year the country of origin submits the film for selection is the year it can be nominated for Foreign Language film in, and only Foreign Language film. The other categories goes by year that a minimum of a 1 screen, 1 week, US release engagement usually in LA or NY occurs. So, a foreign language film can be nominated in 2 different years. For Take This Waltz, I think it may have had a limited release on just 1 screen, for 1 week sometime in either November or December, kinda like Albert Nobbs just so that it could be eligible, and the actual wider release was put off until 2012.

I know that Rich-I was just pointing that out ;)And it could be.You know, there was some western with Christian Bale that came out here in 2005 but is counted as a 2006 film.

Wouldn't the girl from Beasts probably be shoved in SA?

That'd be a bigger travesty than Viola going for BA, and Steinfeld getting shoved into SA. I don't think that the AMPAS will go for such a prolific category fraud.

Don't you dare try and say anything is a greater travesty than Steinfeld <3

This would be, but it's not gonna happen. :lol: :lol:Worst case scenario, she gets pushed supporting, and then the Academy can't make up their mind and she doesn't get nominated, though I still don't believe she will end up getting the nom. This year's just too strong, and honestly if a summer movie breaks got we'll get another The Help-esque movie, and if that happens then the girl might just have to kiss her potential nomination. No way she'll get in if there are only 4 spots available for "Oscar-bait" movie nominees. Edited by riczhang

It has to played in LA for a week to be eligible. So Take This waltz didn't do it last year, so can run this year. The Hurt Locker entered to festivals a year earlier, but swept awards the next year.

Take THis Waltz didn't? There was a FYC campaign running all season for it, so I assumed it was eligible.