Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

;) Go Wallis! I also want to see how the presenters struggle to pronounce her name ;pShould we really count out Meryl Streep for Hope Springs? I guess if not for the lukewarm reception for her 3rd Oscar win (or if she lost to Viola) she will still be in discussion

It is happening!

A Sony Pictures rep has confirmed to Gold Derby that Jessica Chastain ("Zero Dark Thirty") will be campaigned in the Oscar race for lead actress, not supporting as previously presumed widely across the blogosphere. She portrays a CIA staffer who picks up on Osama bin Laden's trail and advises the U.S. Navy SEAL Team on their assignment to snag the world's most wanted terrorist.

This news is a major threat to the Oscar hopes of Jennifer Lawrence ("Silver Linings Playbook"), who is way ahead in the Best Actress race, according to the Oscarologists polled by Gold Derby. Lawrence is backed by 21 of the 25 pundits, who give her 9-to-5 odds to win

http://www.goldderby.com/films/news/3524/jessica-chastain-jennifer-lawrence-movies-entertainment-news-172958364.html

:)

• Like 1

I can Jennifer Lawrence potentially winning. They sometimes give the Oscar to an upcoming and rising star that has a lot of talent.

In the past 15 years, only three times did they give it to an actress older than 35. That happened with Mirren, Bullock, and Streep.

As I said earlier for some reason they really love to give it to younger actresses. For crying out loud Bullock is one of the TEN oldest actresses to win lead actress...Portman was 29 when she won-if that was for lead actor she be in the top 3 youngest, but nowhere near the top for lead actress.

Portman was 29 when she won-if that was for lead actor she be in the top 3 youngest, but nowhere near the top for lead actress.

Hell, if that was for lead actor, he'd pretty much be THE youngest. Adrian Brody, who holds the record, won for The Pianist mere weeks before turning 30.Obviously you can remember the whole "old men" thing and guess that them old pervs love themselves their young actresses, envying the young actors at the same time. But the acting branch must be fairly diverse, and, well, it's true that there are fewer truly remarkable performances by actors under 30 than by actresses, plus a good part of those are in extreme indies (JGL in Mysterious Skin, Hardy in Bronson or Fassbender in Hunger would never get nominated no matter how great they were). Probably not as many good parts, too... in a way it's like a vicious circle.This all reminded me of how I loved Eisenberg in The Social Network but wasn't sure he'd get a nomination until he won a bunch of critics' awards and the film started to look more and more like a real contender in all major categories. And he (Eisenberg) was still the exception more than the rule. Same with Brody and even decades-old nominations like Travolta in Saturday Night Fever and Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire.

Supporting actress:Nearly all of the winners seem to be young girls. Heck it is the ONLY cat where we have had underage people win (excluding the child Oscar). And it was THREE women!Supporting actor:Usually old guys win here.