Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

I have never liked Chastain for some reason. I though she was the most over-rated person in The Help ensemble as well.BTW, Riva may not have been nominated for GG but the audience gave a spontaneous applause when Haneke mentioned his two leads so she had some support in the room.

The problem with Amour is that no one has seen it. But like riczhang pointed out, now that it is nominated the academy members will be forced to see it and once they do, I don't see how you don't write Riva's name down.
  • Like 2

I think Watts is pretty much out of it, unfortunately, having missed BAFTA. She'll have a good shot next year (even though she deserved to WIN 11 years ago). I still think you're all overestimating Riva's chances. It's not impossible, but she missed SAG.

• Like 1

Watts is dead most likely. And I loved the Haneke tribute to Riva. He said that the golden part of the globe should be Riva's. And she'll win BAFTA, Academy Members love Amour. The non-plaleolithic era Members almost all love it.

I think Watts is pretty much out of it, unfortunately, having missed BAFTA. She'll have a good shot next year (even though she deserved to WIN 11 years ago). I still think you're all overestimating Riva's chances. It's not impossible, but she missed SAG.

No one saw her fucking movie and now they have; and the Academy loves Amour. I'm however banking on a BAFTA win because voting starts right around BAFTA ceremony and it'll be a huge boost in the homestretch.
  • Like 1

Finally saw AMOUR. I'm on Team Riva, all the way. I'd be tickled pink if Haneke got BD too, although obviously that won't happen.

Now Haneke is my favourite director by far (In fact none of his films have missed my top 10 or 20 of the decade list, and he's topped both my 1990s and my 2000s list) so this is probably a bit loony/wishful thinking; but I think Haneke could pull a Polanski. If he wins director foreign and Screenplay, Riva wins Actress at BAFTA which isn't impossible see Pedro Almadovar and the other foreign language directors who've won director at BAFTA we'll see a very strong late surge. BAFTA announces on the 10th, and Academy ballots are mailed out/online voting begins on the 8th. You do the math, if Amour can ride that BAFTA high it could score big at the Academy. But, this is all hinging on BAFTA, but I'm fairly confident BAFTA will go for it. At this point though, I see Amour winning Screenplay and Foreign, and if Riva wins BAFTA she'll win the Oscar. Edited by riczhang

After seeing The Impossible I'm a little perplexed how Nanny Watts was the only thing from that movie that got awards attention. It's a fairly one-note character, barely feels like it could be a lead performance, and there were definitely much stronger contenders that missed out for her.

After seeing The Impossible I'm a little perplexed how Nanny Watts was the only thing from that movie that got awards attention. It's a fairly one-note character, barely feels like it could be a lead performance, and there were definitely much stronger contenders that missed out for her.

The young kid, Tom Holland was incredible.He was miles away better and interesting than Alan Fuck yourself Arkin.

I likewise thought Chastain was better than JLaw. In fact, while I liked her in SLP a lot, I'm not even sure it's the best JLaw performance this year.

The best JLaw performance this year was Anna Karenina. I thought he was great, underrated in that. Really the only sympathetic character in the whole thing. :P

The best JLaw performance this year was Anna Karenina. I thought he was great, underrated in that. Really the only sympathetic character in the whole thing. :P

I dont get it, everyone says Jude Law's character was a great guy and the most likable person in the movie. I thought they were all assholes!
  • Like 1