aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

20 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

1.) Coco (DIS), 3,987 theaters / Fri: $6.3M (-67%)/ 3-day cume: $27.8M (-45%)/Total:$110.4M / Wk 2

7) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO (FSL), 1,430 theaters (+816) / $1.4M Fri/ 3-day cume: $4.5M (+2%) /Total: $13.6M /Wk 4

9). Lady Bird (A24), 1,194 theaters (+403) /$1.2M Fri/3-day cume: $4M (0%)/ Total cume: $16.6M / Wk 5

13.) The Disaster Artist  (A24), 19 theaters / $478K Fri/3-day cume: $1.32M /PTA: $69k /Wk 1

Call Me By Your Name  (SPC), 4 theaters (0)/ $77K Fri/3-day cume: $267k (-35%) /PTA: $66,6k /Total: $894K/Wk 2

The Shape of Water  (FSL), 2 theaters / $55K Fri/3-day cume: $170k /PTA: $85k /Wk 1

Pretty good, pretty good.

42 minutes ago, McNerdy said:

Such hate for Avatar. IMO it's the second best movie ever made, behind only Titanic. Avatar was to me The king of event movies. I've watched it countless times and it never gets old. I seriously don't know anyone in real life who dislikes this movie.

I have no hate for Avatar. I saw it on its second day of release and thought "eh, not bad but nothing special". Basically a C+ movie, I've seen at least 10 better in the theaters the past three months but also quite a  few worse.

It has always mystified me why it did so colossally well at the box office, especially globally. Avatar's non-US box office has to be the single most stunning - in terms of the sheer enormity of it and its inexplicable nature-  box office achievement of the past 20 years.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, YourMother said:

Ranking the $600M+ Domestic movies:

1.) Titanic

2.) The Force Awakens

3.) Avengers

4.) Avatar

5.) Jurassic World

1) Titanic, couldn't agree anymore, an all time epic that too great for hater to understand, hater of titanic are just a bunch of hypocrite that ill-behaved in their life and get jealousy when seeing something got so much achievementssssss that barely earned by any movie in history.

Sometime, when a movie get so much loves even after so many years, and achieved that without a sequel or spin off or pre-existing fanbase, this movie must have done something right. 

2) SW7, it looks like a remake and i agree have too much similarities, but it remind us why we love star wars in the 1st place, and it inject the new element in the most subtle but significant way. 

3) Avatar, Visual and 3D must-see experience, this is the movie that you'll appreciate and be grateful that you're not blind! the movie show that why giant silver screen is a ever-lasting visual experience. 

4) Avengers, I don't like avengers tbh, but i must say this is the game changer, if it wasn't for this movie, the industry may struggle to have new blood and new direction. It upgrades a franchise to a universe.

5) JW, i still dont get why this movie earned $600m in the 1st place   

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

"Studio insiders vouch that Coco is within the average Pixar production cost range of $175M-$200M."

http://deadline.com/2017/11/coco-justice-league-wonder-thanksgiving-box-office-1202213755/

Disney-Pixar does not provide estimates of the production costs but industry sources say that the price tag is usually in the $175 million to $200 million range.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-coco-justice-league-thanksgiving-1202621786/

So, no, Coco's budget is not even close to JL's budget

You post two quotes that don't prove anything, nor anything about JL's costs, and then say "so no ..." as if you've proved something. Amazing.

• ...wtf 2

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

Not to suggest there’s any superhero fatigue at all (especially not with me), but I kind of wonder what the next big trend will be. It seems like sometimes it’s disaster movies (I’d argue they’re doing horrible lately with Geostorm, San Andreas, etc. not amounting to much here), other times maybe it’s action / Adventure, etc. 

I wonder if / when there will be a return of the blockbuster comedy or more frequent romantic comedies or if those genres are doomed for small numbers and many of the better comedy examples being on TV or whatever. Theatrical prices seem to lend themselves more to Big Epic Events.

I think with a Disney vs Amazon vs Netflix type of landscape for content production/entertainment (if the trend continue), we could see movies starting to be way to get new account for those, theatrical chain starting to accept their conditions with less competition and more connected stuff between movies on screen and those tv series (that would have changed a little bit, now they are still extremely like we had on the tv format, big momentum, big union, still idea of selling them on TV in some markets will go away and episode like we know them with always the same runtime will have morphed a bit).

Video games franchise being the other big IP yet to work.

Romantic comedies, if something has incredibly good and fresh like the Big Sick didn't reach 50m it is hard to imagine a comeback anytime soon.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

Then you're not looking in the right places.

Yes the execeptions..

You make it seem on average original films are as good or better then wonder women or Thor 3 or Logan.

We know that's nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

You post two quotes that don't prove anything, nor anything about JL's costs, and then say "so no ..." as if you've proved something. Amazing.

Well, two real links from two good sources is better than you're embarrassing guesses

• Like 4

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Yes the execeptions..

You make it seem on average original films are as good or better then wonder women or Thor 3 or Logan.

We know that's nonsense.

You can't compare such a huge number of original films to 3 small films that were all really good (or in my instance, most were good :ph34r:)

I think CBMs blending into one another is why DP2 is gonna be as exciting as DP1. It may seem less novel as a sequel but it's still distinctive, much like LOGAN was. So I don't care if studios churn out a gazillion CBMs as long as they feel fresh every now and then. It's becoming a very broad genre. More studios that make CBMs the better. Once in a while we will have a good fresh movie from each of them - BP, DP2, AQM, VENOM (sue me) all look promising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

You can't compare such a huge number of original films to 3 small films that were all really good (or in my instance, most were good :ph34r:)

Yeah that is why people watch comic book movies.

The genre continue to release blockbusters that are well above the average fare.

If they are all shit the genre would die...it's simple logic.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Then you're not looking in the right places.

Is statement is probably true, out of the 700 movie that get a theatrical release and out of the 2,000 to 12,000 that does not achieve to get one every year, most are original and I imagine most are not has good has franchise movies.

Most original films are just as shit or worse then these franchise films.

It Is more the exception...

So frankly I don't praise sub par films because they are original.

But that a bit on a unfair statement, they do not have close to 1% of the resources those movies have for the giant majority of them. So of course. Also the more original, the more of a risk, you must expect and "accept" more terrible movies than one that use a proven formula/story, those have less reason to ever reach the level of shit.

Original or not is a good deal breaker at best (2 movies has fun, one created something new can rank it above if you are in the top time list...) but not more than that, if a movie redo something you saw too many time you will be bored and that boredom will already fully be integrated on your subjective experience if it does something you never seen it will already be there also, no need to add/remove points for it.

Like you say no need to praise it just for being original or harsh when it is not (say the last Cinderella movie, was excellent).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

5) JW, i still dont get why this movie earned $600m in the 1st place   

Even as someone who likes JW a lot I agree. That number is boggling and apart from Titanic other movies seem 'lesser' in that list. Would have been epic enough had it matched the unadjusted gross of JP1 and done 350+. Dat hungry dino market.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

1) Titanic, couldn't agree anymore, an all time epic that too great for hater to understand, hater of titanic are just a bunch of hypocrite that ill-behaved in their life and get jealousy when seeing something got so much achievementssssss that barely earned by any movie in history.

Sometime, when a movie get so much loves even after so many years, and achieved that without a sequel or spin off or pre-existing fanbase, this movie must have done something right. 

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:thanks for the laughs, one of the funniest things I have ever read in the internet, spilled my coffee reading it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I don't think there's a fad that I can't wait to die out more than superhero movies.

Unless it's Gore Verbinski's Gambit.  I hope that makes $1B domestically.

Well, 20 years being a strong "genre", even stronger now, I think you will have to wait A LOT, my dear!

Thank you god!

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

you're right.  I don't want the movies to be made.  that being said I don't blame the studios for making them because clearly people love them a lot.

I can see why they're doing it but that doesn't mean I have to like them doing it.

So, just don't watch it, just ignore everything about it. Are you too weak for that?

27 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well, two real links from two good sources is better than you're embarrassing guesses

Except the two links don't prove what you claim they do. So let's try this again and see if it sinks in:

"You post two quotes that don't prove anything, nor anything about JL's costs, and then say "so no ..." as if you've proved something. Amazing."

5 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

So, just don't watch it, just ignore everything about it. Are you too weak for that?

I watch pretty much every major movie, whether it interests me greatly or not.  It's part of being a part of the conversation, for me.  I love film, so I go out of my way to see as many films as I can.

I didn't like the Underworld series and I still watched the 5th movie this year, but you don't see people yelling at me for not just ignoring that film.

2 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Disney has truly sucked the fun out of everything we loved as kids. 

Superhero movies. 

Their own classics. 

And now even Star Wars. 

Never thought I could feel so indifferent towards a new SW movie. But none of it feels special anymore. 

WE? Well looking the reviews, the general audiences receptions for those movies, the box offices, I think the problem is you, son.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1