The Panda

Your 10 Bold Predictions for 2018

Similar to the list last year, list your 10 BOLD predictions for 2018!

1. The Incredibles 2 is the Number 1 Movie of the Year DOM

2. NOPE

3. Deadpool 2 OVER Jurassic World: A Fallen Kingdom DOM

4. The Horror Streak Continues: A Quiet Place, Halloween and The Nun ALL OVER 100m DOM

5. The Grinch Over Despicable Me 2 DOM and WW

6. Mary Poppins Returns DOM > Aquaman + Bumblebee + Bohemian Rhapsody + Mortal Engines DOM

7. At least 2 movies in October 2018 have an OW over the previous October OW record.  Also Record Breaking October DOM.

8. First Man OVER the Martian DOM, OW and WW

9. The Rock's Streak Continues: Skyscraper and Rampage over 50m OW, 150m DOM and 500m WW

10. February Floppage: Black Panther DOM > DOM Gross of all February Wide Releases combined

Edited by The Mad Panda
  • Like 2

I'm gonna post as I did last year - listing them as I think of them:)...

1. 2018 DOM sets an all-time dollar record for total BO.  The power of Moviepass (for as long as it lasts) will continue to help pop the box office...we could be in for a lot of unexpected little hits...

2. The 2018 DOM BO crown will NOT be won by a movie releasing in the summer of 2018.  So, JW2, Incredibles 2, Avengers IW, Deadpool, Han Solo, etc...stick a fork in them b/c none of them will be the overall DOM BO champ:)...this, I think, is pretty darn bold:)...

PS - I deem the crown won not at the end of the year, but when all movies release that year end their runs, b/c a winter movie could take this:)...

More as I think of them!

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1. Deadpool 2 makes more than $400M, becomes #2 at the DOM box office, only behind Infinity War.

2. All of Disney's features, including Wrinkle in Time and Christopher Robin, will gross more than $100M DOM.

3. Incredibles 2 "disappoints" with only $350M

4. Comedy comes back in a big way: Game Night, Night School, Holmes and Watson, and Ocean's 8 all cross $100M, while Crazy Rich Asians becomes a modest success at over $70M.

5. Venom > Aquaman

6. Rampage over $200M

7. Love, Simon crosses $100M, becomes the sleeper hit of the Spring.

That's all I got.

Edited by CoolEric258

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

1. 2018 DOM sets an all-time dollar record for total BO.  The power of Moviepass (for as long as it lasts) will continue to help pop the box office...we could be in for a lot of unexpected little hits...

2. The 2018 DOM BO crown will NOT be won by a movie releasing in the summer of 2018.  So, JW2, Incredibles 2, Avengers IW, Deadpool, Han Solo, etc...stick a fork in them b/c none of them will be the overall DOM BO champ:)...this, I think, is pretty darn bold:)...

More as I think of them!

I know it's about bold predictions and everything, but what would win the year that isn't any of those films? There's only three viable options: Black Panther, The Grinch and Mary Poppins, and I don't see any of those outgrossing the bigger Summer films (Avengers, Incredibles and Jurassic World).

01. There will be a Panda Bear movie sometime released in China and it will make 100M+ there.
02. Solo: A SW Story will make less than what Rogue One did in its first 10 Days (286M)

03. JW: Fallen Kingdom will make more than Infinity War both DOM and OS
04. Aquaman will make 100M more DOM than JL (327M)
05. Deadpool 2 will gross more than 400M
06. Venom will outgross TASM2 DOM (202M+)
07. Wreck-It Ralph 2 will make 300M+ DOM
08. The Grinch will make LESS than 200M DOM
09. The Predator will gross more than 200M DOM
10. The Meg will make 200M+ in China.

Now you all can call me a lunatic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

3.  Here's "taking a flyer sight unseen", but...Barbie makes $100M+ DOM.  Anne Hathaway has the warm, welcoming presence that is bound to appeal to all, and if this movie is ANY good, it should be able to roll all through August and into September...

4.  Avengers Infinity War is NOT the top grossing DOM supers movie of the year...

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I know it's about bold predictions and everything, but what would win the year that isn't any of those films? There's only three viable options: Black Panther, The Grinch and Mary Poppins, and I don't see any of those outgrossing the bigger Summer films (Avengers, Incredibles and Jurassic World).

Why choose?  I'm basing part of that prediction on the rapid change I think is coming to the subscription based model...I mean, 2 million folks are pretty much wrapped in now for 2018...but if Couples and Families arrive in say, July, those late year movies could see spikes we can't imagine...and heck, even with the 2 million now, until we get a lot more data, I don't know that we know what they are doing to the current movies' BO totals:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1.) Venom over $200M

2.) HT3 over $190M Domestic (ala IA3) and bigger than every animated movie DOM and WW not named I2 or Grinch

3.) 1/2 Of TLJ DOM > Solo

4.) Incredibles 2 over $500M

5.) Teen Titans Go! over $100M Domestic and WB’s biggest family film of 2018 (over Smallfoot and Paddington)

6.) Ant Man 2, Beasts 2 and Ralph 2 sub $200M Domestic

7.) Grinch over Frozen Domestic but under Sing WW

8.) Rampage over F8te Domestic

9.) Infinity War under Fallen Kingdom is WW

10.) Dark Phoenix under New Mutants DOM and WW

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

I don't have 10. I'll update list another time.

1. Jurassic World 2 over Avengers Infinity Wars DOM and OS, but just barely DOM.

2. Fantastic Beasts 2 over 1B WW.

3. Aquaman over Justice League.

4. Rampage with a similar gross to Jumanji.

5. New Mutants over 200M domestically.

That's it.

• Like 2

5. The return of the patriotic movie - 12 Strong + 15:17 to Paris combined DOM gross OVER Dunkirk DOM...I figure 1/2 of the new movie passes went to heartland country, and I feel like one of these 2 movies will have the "It" factor to bring them in droves.  If one hits way higher than expected, it should be doable, although I know it's a reach (now a crazy bid would be to say 1 by itself hits Dunkirk DOM, but I don't think Eastwood has that much clout anymore, and I don't know that 12 horses should be able to beat WWII and Nolan, especially if neither ends up any good:)...Right now, they project for $92M DOM combined, so I'm only hoping for a little over double that:)...

6. The total dominance of the DC/Marvel supers ends...not counting animated offerings (so no TTG or Animated Spidey for either of these predictions - not taking the easy way out on one of them:), 3 supers or less make the EOY top 10 DOM and one super is UNDER $100M DOM...

7.  The return of the Xmas classic - The Nutcracker will gross more than $150M DOM (competition be da&ned).

8.  The return of the Horror classic - Halloween will gross over $35M OW and $100M DOM.

9. The return of the Faith classic - Paul, Apostle of Christ, will make over $75M DOM.  It's got the same lead that caused magic with the Passion, and I think Easter weekend might be perfect for it...

10. Okay, how about the year of no legs?:)  2 $40M+ openers finish the year with DOM legs under 2.0x (gotta have some big openers join the BvS train:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

PS - I deem the crown won not at the end of the year, but when all movies release that year end their runs, b/c a winter movie could take this:)...

More as I think of them!

So are you thinking The Grinch or Poppins for DOM crown, then?

9 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

So are you thinking The Grinch or Poppins for DOM crown, then?

Either...or something else...I don't rule any of them out til I see what they actually are gonna be:)...I mean, I won't even rule out Aquaman if Wan performs a miracle (although it would take that)...

1) Deadpool 2 behaves like Guardians Of The Galaxy 2

2) Fallen Kingdom does better than World’s overseas numbers

3) Halloween breaks Gravity’s OW record and outgrosses the adjusted total of Scream 

4) Aquman misses $200 million 

5)  Venom debuts like Blade Runner 2049

6) Blockers and A Quiet Place become the sleeper hits of the spring

7) Truth Or Dare performs like Unfriended

8) Infinity War under Age Of Ultron

9) Incredibles 2 outgrosses Finding Dory

10) Antman 2 makes $400 million domestic 

11) Hotel Transylvania 3 does $225 million domestic

Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

quick reminder that last time I called a blockbuster to make over 300M in the month of December, we got Jumanji.

A year ago and you forgot. The stain of Valerian still lingers

Spoiler

However I think $250M+ can happen for Mortal Engines.