Eric Duncan

Blindspotting l Lionsgate l July 20, 2018 (limited), July 27 (wide) l Daveed Diggs stars l From Sundance

http://deadline.com/2018/02/blindspotting-sundance-lionsgate-release-date-1202280922/

Sundance Film Festival opening night title Blindspotting, which Lionsgate and Summit Entertainment acquired global rights on, is getting a July 27 limited release before going wide on Aug. 10.

Blindspotting reps Carlos López Estrada feature directorial debut, and it was co-written by Daveed Diggs and his co-star Rafael Casal. Diggs plays Collin, who is trying to make it through his final days of probation for an infamous arrest he can’t wait to put behind him. Always by his side is his fast-talking childhood bestie, Miles (Casal), who has a knack for finding trouble. They grew up together in the notoriously rough Oakland, a.k.a. “The Town,” which has become the new trendy place to live in the rapidly gentrifying Bay Area.

When Collin’s chance for a fresh start is interrupted by a life-changing missed curfew, his friendship with Miles is forced out of its comfortable buddy-comedy existence, and the Bay boys are set on a spiraling collision course with each other.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 2

This film is going wide against The Meg, Scarface, and an Untitled Anne Hathaway / Rebel Wilson comedy, with other potential rivals releasing closeby in the month of August.

If Lionsgate wants this film to stand out amongst the crowd, they may have to play their cards right and market this as efficiently as they can.

• Like 1

On 8.02.2018 at 1:41 AM, slambros said:

This film is going wide against The Meg, Scarface, and an Untitled Anne Hathaway / Rebel Wilson comedy, with other potential rivals releasing closeby in the month of August.

If Lionsgate wants this film to stand out amongst the crowd, they may have to play their cards right and market this as efficiently as they can.

This may be this years Get Out. Maybe not in terms of pure commercial potential since Get Out could be sold easier as a commercial genre picture but in terms of how well it handles issues and how important people will think it is. Especially young people. 

• Like 2

So the good news is that, on its wide release date, Blindspotting still has its niche that it can appeal to, unless Sorry To Bother You is that much of a breakout as to take attention away. The bad news is, the wide release date has two more wide releases to contend with, no matter how seemingly low-appeal they are: Global Road's A.X.L. and Mirror/LD's Dog Days. If the film has strong appeal, though, I could see this being a nice little modest hit for Lionsgate despite its competition.

I haven't seen the trailer yet, but I'm sure that my confidence will rise if I'm as impressed as others are.

Edited by slambros
  • Like 2

They kinda hid the poetry aspect of this. I get it would be hard to market but I wonder how people will react to that. Also it doesn't' look like a comedy from the trailer at all but according to wikipedia it is? 

Edited by ban1o

Okay. I just saw the trailer and I'm convinced that this is going to break out in the mainstream. There's a three week separation from The Equalizer 2 and a two week separation from Sorry to Bother You, and that's definitely enough for all three films to have a healthy coexistance. This could be Lionsgate's defining 2018 film and a breakout role for Daveed Diggs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ban1o said:

They kinda hid the poetry aspect of this. I get it would be hard to market but I wonder how people will react to that. Also it doesn't' look like a comedy from the trailer at all but according to wikipedia it is? 

almost the whole first half is all comedy, then a major shift in tone.  I wish they left off that comedy part of the trailer and I would have liked it more.  But the trailer still caught some of my interest

http://deadline.com/2018/04/blindspotting-sundance-lionsgate-release-date-1202280922/

Disregard my rants about the film's competition, because I'm about to make an updated one:

Blindspotting is now releasing limited on July 20th and nationwide on July 27th. That means that its wide release is up against Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Teen Titans Go! to the Movies, and, concerningly, the wide expansion of Sorry To Bother You.

I don't know what will happen if these films go head to head... Sorry To Bother You might still have time to change its release plan before these two films eat into each other's potential, but I'm not sure where else it would be able to thrive; Blindspotting definitely feels like the buzzier title at this time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 75Live said:

almost the whole first half is all comedy, then a major shift in tone.  I wish they left off that comedy part of the trailer and I would have liked it more.  But the trailer still caught some of my interest

Wait have you seen the movie or are you talking about the tone in the trailer? Idk people are saying the movie is a dramedy. I read some reviews on twitter that the movie is really funny and the trailer is a lot more dramatic than the movie is. 

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

Wait have you seen the movie or are you talking about the tone in the trailer? Idk people are saying the movie is a dramedy. I read some reviews on twitter that the movie is really funny and the trailer is a lot more dramatic than the movie is. 

the trailer

9 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Rated R for language throughout, some brutal violence, sexual references and drug use

Not really a problem for what it is. I'm still angered at how bad the marketing for this is. Blackkklansman will be this year racial issue film even though this is better. 

I saw an advanced screening for this. It was so good imo. It covers a lot of topical issues s but it doesn't really try and answer them it just kinda poses the questions but I thought that it was a great way to make you think. A lot of the dialogue is hip hop driven with fast pace spoken verses which I loved and makes it a unique film experience I thought the cast  was so good. Daveed and Rafael were great as the leads. Miles was my favourite character because he was hilarious  but Collins was great as well. I'm obviously biased because I'm a big fan of both but I saw  it with my friend who isn't and she loved it to. More over I feel like I really got to KNOW Oakland as a town. It's really a love letter to Oakland. 

Edited by ban1o