grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

True. And some of those movies have pretty positive audience reception.

Because Audience crave entertainment and enjoyable 2-3 hours in theaters.

And they can get that from those movies which critics deem bad, with technical deficiencies which is given more focus by critics and internet crowd. 

I'll give an example 

Baby's Day Out - I for so long thought it was a blockbuster, but recently i got to know that it was a critical failure in USA and commercial too i guess.

But it is a tremendous success in India, one of the most watched movies in India on TV, even in theater it was selling out shows after shows when it released here, while Star Wars movie that was running alongside it got no takers. 

Critics bashed it, but it is entertaining af. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

I expect a 65%-70% RT score, more than enough to send this into a monster hit. 

I like your optimism.

I still believe in a score in the high 40s to low 50s though. After FK, critics gonna be harsh on this.

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I like your optimism.

I still believe in a score in the high 40s to low 50s though. After FK, critics gonna be harsh on this.

I think compared to FK, JWD has more good will in its marketing and bringing back the original cast certainly give some add point for critics to give a pass. Not like JWD need a high RT score but positive RT score can never harm. Most importantly, cinema need this monster hit.  

Wonder what happened to the other T-Rexes from the other JP-movies? Aside from that one lone T-Rex being killed by the Spinosaurus from the third film, whatever happened to the T-Rex family (including the two parents and the Baby T-Rex) from the second film?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

I'm on record as learning my lesson on doubting JW movies, but as I've seen Transformers come up a couple of times now, I do want to say one thing that's been chewing at my mind for the last few days as I've seen all the back and forth over how critic proof JW really is.

Some film series are indeed critic proof... until they aren't.

The classic case would indeed be the Transformer series of movies.  They kept belting out hit after hit despite lukewarm (or worse) reviews.  But then it started to wobble and finally capsize. What was it exactly that stopped them from being critic proof?  Probably a critical mass of irritations that finally became the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Anyway, I'm not saying that's going to happen here.  Pre-sale data doesn't support it for one (though again, we're at the time where early buzz could start to matter). But mostly coz I'll now bet against the JW series only when I'm forced to by overwhelming data. 

But I do think the "this series is critic proof" or "The GA doesn't care about what critics think of this series" arguments aren't quite as good as an argument as some folks might think, even without it reaching BvS level reviews (which is truly a different level of bad reception).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm on record as learning my lesson on doubting JW movies, but as I've seen Transformers come up a couple of times now, I do want to say one thing that's been chewing at my mind for the last few days as I've seen all the back and forth over how critic proof JW really is.

The classic case would indeed be the Transformer series of movies.  They kept belting out hit after hit despite lukewarm (or worse) reviews.  But then it started to wobble and finally capsize. What was it exactly that stopped them from being critic proof?  Probably a critical mass of irritations that finally became the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Anyway, I'm not saying that's going to happen here.  Pre-sale data doesn't support it for one (though again, we're at the time where early buzz could start to matter). But mostly coz I'll now bet against the JW series only when I'm forced to by overwhelming data. 

But I do think the "this series is critic proof" or "The GA doesn't care about what critics think of this series" arguments aren't quite as good as an argument as some folks might think, even without it reaching BvS level reviews (which is truly a different level of bad reception).

I would argue that Tranformers lost its audience with the 4th one. Im not saying that cause its the obvious choice - the 5th one underperformed dramatically as we all know - but because ive seen it and it has elements that not only critics hate but audiences as well: Extreme China-pandering, action scenes that are way too long and more confusing than epic, extremely annoying characters (way more than in the 3rd film) and its just as a whole too long and doesnt have any real stakes.

Transformers 3 did it way better. That one had characters that were at least mostly tolerable, actually good action scenes and quite an awesome third act. So my point is: yes i agree that critic-proof franchises have a limit but i think it is easy to see when a film does things so badly that even if its succesfull box office-wise, its sequel will have to pay for it.

When Tranformers 4 came out, it was one step too far for the fans. But i dont see that with Fallen Kingdom. It had a solid reception, especially among JP fans, its not even nearly as hated as some would like to believe. So i dont see Dominion having to suffer cause of FK.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Thing about Transformers was that it was back to back negative movies, and it came to a point where it was stretched to a level.

Jurassic World had decent critical response but tremendous audience reception. 

So it's not like Jurassic Movies have seen negative reviews from start, if Fallen Kingdom had bad reception then Jurassic World had positive.

And i still don't think that Fallen Kingdom was hated by audience.

41 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Dont say that.

She's already too old for what we know a T. rex lives for (30-35 years) Rexy is at least would have to be 45 by Fallen Kingdom because she would've reached maturity by 1993 (20 years old). She's 49 by Dominion.

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Alex SciChannel said:

She's already too old for what we know a T. rex lives for (30-35 years) Rexy is at least Rexy would have to be 45 by Fallen Kingdom because she would've reached maturity by 1993 (20 years old). She's 49 by Dominion.

But i dont want to see her die :sadfleck:

https://jurassicoutpost.com/review-jurassic-world-dominion/

"The movie is far from perfect – the plot is bloated, the pacing is horribly rushed, and many of the characters feel slightly out of key –

BUT AT LEAST IN MY HUMBLE OPINION IT IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE TWO PREVIOUS ENTRIES.

Dominion’ revisits Jurassic Park’s Techno-Thriller roots diving into the power of genetics like we have never seen before and some of the plots points are for sure something we could easily have seen in Crichton’s work. 

Ultimately this movie left me wanting more – both in good and bad ways –  but most of all good. And thankfully, Dominion is not the end, but a brand new beginning. More will come, and the movie makes that clear.

• Like 1

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

https://jurassicoutpost.com/review-jurassic-world-dominion/

"The movie is far from perfect – the plot is bloated, the pacing is horribly rushed, and many of the characters feel slightly out of key –

BUT AT LEAST IN MY HUMBLE OPINION IT IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE TWO PREVIOUS ENTRIES.

Dominion’ revisits Jurassic Park’s Techno-Thriller roots diving into the power of genetics like we have never seen before and some of the plots points are for sure something we could easily have seen in Crichton’s work. 

Ultimately this movie left me wanting more – both in good and bad ways –  but most of all good. And thankfully, Dominion is not the end, but a brand new beginning. More will come, and the movie makes that clear.

The chemistry between Sam Neill and Laura Dern is strong as ever. Jeff Goldblum as Dr Ian Malcolm is another great win – this movie really belongs to the classic Jurassic Park cast. 

Outside of the classic characters, the newcomers are also great: standouts would be DeWanda Wise’s “Kayla Watts”, Mamoudou Athie’s “Ramsay”, Campbell Scott’s “Lewis Dodgson”, Isabella Sermon’s “Maisie”. Of course, BD Wong’s Dr. Henry Wu is also back and he’s better than ever. Yes, Dr Wu does get a meatier role and a stronger arch this time – something much overdue. Bryce Dallas Howard gets to flex her muscles as Claire both physically and emotionally as we are presented with a more sentimental and even haunted version of the character. Chris Pratt brings nothing new to Owen – he’s pretty much the same as the last two films, however played a little more seriously and doesn’t lean into out of place levity during serious scenes like in Fallen Kingdom.