grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

17 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Whatever they did worked because GvK is vastly superior to KotM.  GvK was smart enough to keep the human characters to a bare minimum which really bogged down Godzilla 2014 and KotM.

did it really? I felt like there was still an extreme human focus and some of the human characters like the conspiracy guy and the Deadpool 2 kid were way more irritating than anyone in KOTM

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Mitchell said:

Moderation

Not the Godzilla thread

c'mon

it was hurting nobody and there's no real place to discuss those movies now

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

c'mon

it was hurting nobody and there's no real place to discuss those movies now

There's the GvK sequel thread I guess. But not very active atm. So I took the liberty of making sad Mike Dougherty reply

Edited by Alex SciChannel

1 hour ago, Alex SciChannel said:

If you watch the director commentary of GvK you can tell Wingard didn't come off as having nearly the same amount of investment as Dougherty did. He basically explains how he treats the humans as tools to get 1 Titan to another or to a certain place or plot point. I don't think this is a bad way to construct a Kaiju film but it's far from ideal and many fans weren't fond of it. Dougherty seemed to actually want to tie in the human story fluidly with the monster story and came at the project with a different kind of passion. How well Dougherty's vision was executed is up to interpretation but at least an attempt was made while GvK made no attempt at all.

Dougherty made a movie for fans, Wingard made a movie for general audience.

KOTM infuriated me with its focus on human Family drama, no one wanted to see a husband and wife squabble when Godzilla is going toe to toe with King Ghidorah.

Dougherty had opportunity to show more monsters, he only showed us the glimpse of other titans breaking out, Only 2 second of Ghidorah vs Military over DC..... Infct it could've been one of the best set pieces of Monsterverse - Ghidorah and Rodan vs US Military destroying DC, but we were stuck with stupid family drama. 

Wingard said let's give people what they want, simple action spectacle, no philosophy, no family drama, no anything, just Lizard and Monke punching each other.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

14 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Dougherty made a movie for fans, Wingard made a movie for general audience.

KOTM infuriated me with its focus on human Family drama, no one wanted to see a husband and wife squabble when Godzilla is going toe to toe with King Ghidorah.

Dougherty had opportunity to show more monsters, he only showed us the glimpse of other titans breaking out, Only 2 second of Ghidorah vs Military over DC..... Infct it could've been one of the best set pieces of Monsterverse - Ghidorah and Rodan vs US Military destroying DC, but we were stuck with stupid family drama. 

Wingard said let's give people what they want, simple action spectacle, no philosophy, no family drama, no anything, just Lizard and Monke punching each other.

I think Kaiju films need some level of human drama as undercooked it may be. That's what made the Heisei era worked so well. They weren't revolutionary by any means but they actually tried and I appreciate Dougherty for that.

I'll shut up now too

Edited by Alex SciChannel

3 hours ago, Mulder said:

GvK filmed in its entirety pre-KoTM's release, it wrapped filming for its original shoot in April of 2019. After KoTM's disappointment, it was heavily edited and reshot. Unfortunately there's bad blood big time between Dougherty & Wingard.

Wasn't there an interview with 3 directors attached to this franchise? Gareth wasn't in it, but Kong, g2 and gvk guys talked about these films.

All of this brainstorming is making me realize how big a miss China is for Jurassic World.

A potential 250 million gross is now reduced to 50-100 million range.

Even with Mix WOM it could've been 180-200, now or could end up at 70-80 

Absolutely unlucky.

13 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Everybody keeps underestimating Jurassic.

Dude, the subreddit is saying shit like “it’ll be lucky to make 250” and “I’m thinking 160 million OW” in the comments of the BOP projection.

it’s like they haven’t learned their lesson from the last two.

3 minutes ago, Bigscrubnus said:

Dude, the subreddit is saying shit like “it’ll be lucky to make 250” and “I’m thinking 160 million OW” in the comments of the BOP projection.

it’s like they haven’t learned their lesson from the last two.

160M is a more than reasonable expectation 

I think it will be bigger, but if this gets bad WOM, it can hurt it. 

DS2 didn't get 200M because of this.