CJohn

Early Friday Numbers (The Lorax - 17.5M; Project X - 8.2M)

What was the figure last year?OSCARS 2011 was better IMO.

What I was saying is that it was better in ratings.http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-oscar-ratings-20120228,0,6946960.story"Sunday's Academy Awards telecast — an old-fashioned (and sometimes critically savaged) paean to moviemaking hosted by the 63-year-old Crystal — delivered a total of 39.3 million viewers, according to Nielsen. That was up 4% compared with last year, when organizers made a largely unsuccessful bid to woo young crowds with the emcee duo of Anne Hathaway (born 1982) and her slightly older colleague, James Franco." Edited by CJohn

Seriously? How many times this needs to be explained?The Devil Inside looked SICK. The trailer was amazing, it premiered with Paranormal Activity 3 and got a fantastic reaction, and Paramount marketing campaign department did an extraordinary job selling the movie. The toxic WOM killed it after OW. Teens don't care about reviews, but they knew that TDI was shit after seeing it.

IA. Some how the studios have been killing it with ads and trailers (John Carter excluded naturally). Idk if they were sleeping last year or what but they're making up for it now. I'm excited to see movies again. And even if in the back of your head you know the movie will suck the ads have drawn you in to the point that you just can't help but give the movie the benefit of the doubt. The magic of marketing (someone should give Disney the heads up)! To me that's what happened with the Devil Inside and The Vow. Safe House I didn't see much for so I still don't know how that happened.

IA. Some how the studios have been killing it with ads and trailers (John Carter excluded naturally). Idk if they were sleeping last year or what but they're making up for it now. I'm excited to see movies again. And even if in the back of your head you know the movie will suck the ads have drawn you in to the point that you just can't help but give the movie the benefit of the doubt. The magic of marketing (someone should give Disney the heads up)! To me that's what happened with the Devil Inside and The Vow. Safe House I didn't see much for so I still don't know how that happened.

Safe House had is marketing all around Washington's character. The type of villian people love to see.

Because there really was a bigger problem. The sudden turn around, 2012 winning 9 weeks straight with films, even the dumb ones opening in huge numbers, couldn't just be attributed to "appeal" or "better releases".

The wierdest thing is that how 2012 started beating 2011 weekends from the 1st damn weekend of the year. I just don't know how to fuckin' explain how a year or a period in a year can be so down and then with a new year and the first weekend of that year everything picks up and we are talking about 9 straight weekends without a major A+ film.
  • Like 2

Safe House had intense trailers. Got me in the theater.

What I was saying is that it was better in ratings.http://www.latimes.c...0,6946960.story"Sunday's Academy Awards telecast — an old-fashioned (and sometimes critically savaged) paean to moviemaking hosted by the 63-year-old Crystal — delivered a total of 39.3 million viewers, according to Nielsen. That was up 4% compared with last year, when organizers made a largely unsuccessful bid to woo young crowds with the emcee duo of Anne Hathaway (born 1982) and her slightly older colleague, James Franco."

That is why I am surprised. IMO last year was presented better. The best pic winner this year is boring too.
  • Like 1

The wierdest thing is that how 2012 started beating 2011 weekends from the 1st damn weekend of the year. I just don't know how to fuckin' explain how a year or a period in a year can be so down and then with a new year and the first weekend of that year everything picks up and we are talking about 9 straight weekends without a major A+ film.

THIS.

What was the figure last year?OSCARS 2011 was better IMO.

Last year was around 37 million, the record low (at least when they start recording the ratings) was the year No Country for Old Men won. This year's slate of BP nominees only had The Help as the box office hit compared to last year when they had Inception and Toy Story 3 as nominees plus surprise 100 million hits with The King's Speech and Black Swan. Even The Social Network came close with 97 mil.

Safe House had is marketing all around Washington's character. The type of villian people love to see.

Safe House had intense trailers. Got me in the theater.

Yeah, the only thing I remember about the Safe House trailer was the song. I didn't see many ads but those I saw just made it look like a typical action movie. But of course i'm not really an action movie person... I guess Denzel is popular though.

Hindsight analysis reeking up the place now. People have got to stop trying to mould what's happening to fit their reasoning.The garbage this year looked as garbage as last year. And I already PROVED that the average rating on RT for the last few years 2008-2011 over the start of the year was higher for 2011. I know it's tempting to speculate but facts only known in hindsight do not strengthen your argument.

• Like 1

To think December box office was sad (The Muppets crashing on its second week, New Year's Eve flopping, Sherlock Holmes 2 & Alvin 3 came in below expectations, No Oscar movies broke out, the only good news was Mission Impossible) so the sudden box office uptick in January was very surprising and just as we thought the first week was a fluke then came in another week and another week of surprise box office performer/s. And you know what I don't want try to understand why I'm just happy it's happening because last year box office run was just disappointing overall that at least this year we're off to a good start, we already reached the quota of box office disappointments last year :D

• Like 2

2012 top 12 each weekend vs 2011 top 12 each weekend.

1st Weekend = + 27,96%

2nd Weekend = - 0,32%

3rd Weekend = + 23,54%

4th Weekend = + 6,16%

5th Weekend = + 28,21%

6th Weekend = + 28,33%

7th Weekend = + 10,43%

8th Weekend = + 18,91%

So not exactly 9 straight weeks.

January 2011 had only 1 over 20 or 30m openner.

Febraury 2011 had only 2 movies open over 20m.

January 2012 had 3 movies open over 20m

Febraury 2012 had 8 movies open over 20m.