That One Girl

Good Boys | August 16th, 2019 | Universal | Jacob Tremblay

Just now, TalismanRing said:

You have to be 17 or older or accompanied by someone 17 or older.

I've seen people bring toddlers to rated R movies :rolleyes:

Ah yes, R = under 17 with an adult, NC-17 = 17 full stop.

RT gives the film a mixed critics consensus:

Good Boys is undermined by an eagerness to repeatedly indulge in profane humor, but its appealing cast and ultimately thoughtful message often shine through.

But its RT score (81%) and average rating (6.57) suggest generally positive critics responses.  Maybe RT should change their written consensus?

This was the one out of all the new releases last weekend we went to see, and I'm glad we did! Hilarious, but also full of heart. The three kids are stars and I loved the subplot of the kind of rivalry the boys had with the teenage girls. Very entertaining! Highly recommend to see with some friends. For us guys especially it offers many moments for you and your buddies to go "Lol, remember THAT?".

Edited by JB33

This is one of my favourite movies so far this year. If not Top 10, it's definitely close. 

I'm surprised there isn't much backlash over parts of the film and real life events. There's a line in the film (not really a spoiler but I'll tag the rest of the post anyways)

Spoiler

anyways, there's a line in the film where the boys are talking about going to hang out at a skatepark, and one of their younger sisters says "the older boys make you take drugs at the skatepark", and there's a whole subplot of the younger boys trying to buy molly for older teenagers. 

On August 8 in Langley (suburb of Vancouver where the movie was filmed, and where Tremblay was born/raised no less) a 13 year old boy died of an overdose because older teenagers at a skatepark gave him a lethal dose of molly, filmed him overdosing, and threw his phone in the garbage, leaving him there to die. Wasn't until the boy's grandfather found him that the boy was taken to hospital where he later died. 

Now, I'm not saying there SHOULD be a controversy; overdose deaths happen all the time unfortunately. But just the timing of the incident with the film's release, the proximity of the incident to the film and its actors, and the specific line in the movie that eerily resembles the incident, I'm surprised they didn't remove it last minute, especially since there were plenty of other lines in the trailers that were not in the final cut. 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:41 AM, DAJK said:

This is one of my favourite movies so far this year. If not Top 10, it's definitely close. 

I'm surprised there isn't much backlash over parts of the film and real life events. There's a line in the film (not really a spoiler but I'll tag the rest of the post anyways)

Hide contents

anyways, there's a line in the film where the boys are talking about going to hang out at a skatepark, and one of their younger sisters says "the older boys make you take drugs at the skatepark", and there's a whole subplot of the younger boys trying to buy molly for older teenagers. 

On August 8 in Langley (suburb of Vancouver where the movie was filmed, and where Tremblay was born/raised no less) a 13 year old boy died of an overdose because older teenagers at a skatepark gave him a lethal dose of molly, filmed him overdosing, and threw his phone in the garbage, leaving him there to die. Wasn't until the boy's grandfather found him that the boy was taken to hospital where he later died. 

Now, I'm not saying there SHOULD be a controversy; overdose deaths happen all the time unfortunately. But just the timing of the incident with the film's release, the proximity of the incident to the film and its actors, and the specific line in the movie that eerily resembles the incident, I'm surprised they didn't remove it last minute, especially since there were plenty of other lines in the trailers that were not in the final cut. 

This was filmed in Langley?? I had no idea.

Also had no idea about that story. That's just awful. Horrible. I also agree with your surprise that there was no uproar there. That's quite close to home, if you will.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 1:41 PM, DAJK said:

Hide contents

I'm assuming/hoping the older kids are in prison...yes? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

I'm assuming/hoping the older kids are in prison...yes? 

Not... yet? I don’t know. A friend of mine knows them (not friends with them obvs but they were in her grad class). They’ve had their social media shut down and they’re under investigation but no jail or anything announced yet