Brainbug

Brainbugs Top 50 Best Horror movies of all time - Baumer's top 50 starts on page 18

Countdown will continue tomorrow, but i wont be able to put out more than 2 or 3. I do expect however that i will be able to finish the list on the weekend.

And btw, Number 19 is the next #1 guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I love the camera work in Don't Breathe 

Its similar to David Fincher's direction in Panic Room. If youve never seen that movie, i highly recommend it, the camera is outstanding there too.

Edited by Brainbug

21 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its similar to David Fincher's direction in Panic Room. If youve never that movie, i highly recommend it, the camera is outstanding there too.

And Panic Room is actually very similar to Suspiria LOL...

There's one tracking shot that is a complete homage to Argento.

• Like 1

Just got back from the second best movie of all time to continue the list!

Edit: Ok, i cant let this stand alone, JW:FK is NOT a perfect movie (the script, oh the script :rofl:), but i loved every second of it. Especially the second half, which dives into horror territory!

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

Number 19:

The_Silence_of_the_Lambs_poster.jpg

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Director: Jonathan Demme

Box Office: 272,2 Million WW

Story: 9/10

Tension: 9/10

Atmosphere: 8/10

Rewatchability: 8/10

Plot Synopsis:

Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster), a young US FBI trainee, searches after a serial killer only known by his nickname Buffalo Bill. Soon she knows no better way as to ask Dr. Hannibal Lecter for advice. The problem: He is another serial killer. And a cannibale.

I think many of you thought this behemoth of a movie would be in the Top 10. And theres tons of good reasons why it should be: Because The Silence of the Lambs is in practically every aspect an absolute Masterpiece.

It has a great, captivating and suspensfull story. It has highly interesting characters, which are elevated by terrific performances from the cast. I dont have to praise Hopkins as Lecter, everyone else has done that already, but yeah, he is one of the best movie villains of all time. But Jodie Foster imo is equally great, Scott Glenn as Jack Crawford and Ted Levine as Bill are also phenomenal. The are aided by one of the best scripts of the 1990s, nerarly every line of dialogue in this film just feels so right. Not only the iconic quotes ("Im having an old friend for dinner"), but the rest as well. Add to that phenomenal direction by Demme and superb pacing and you have a film that coudnt be much better,

So why is it only Number 19? Well, there are some films out there - most of them Masterpieces - that i really, really like or even love, but i dont...adore them, if you know what i mean. I see that they are perfect movies, i enjoy them very much, i recognize their influence in cinema - but there are just other movies out there that i love even more. So what can i say? I love Silence of the Lambs, i love its psychological and physical brutality, but i dont love it enough to place it much higher. Let me just say though once again, that it is practically a perfect movie, not only as a horror thriller, but generally as a movie. Fully deserved its 5 Oscars.

Great guess @Spectre and youre right, this film fits many of my criterias very very well. Its just, ahh, i woundt be honest if i would place it higher, I hope you can understand that :lol:

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Just got back from the second best movie of all time to continue the list!

Edit: Ok, i cant let this stand alone, JW:FK is NOT a perfect movie (the script, oh the script :rofl:), but i loved every second of it. Especially the second half, which dives into horror territory!

Would love to read your review of the film! 😀

Edited by L Silverman
  • Like 1

Just now, L Silverman said:

Would love to read your review of the film! :)

Im working on the list right now, but after that i will write a longer non-spoiler review on the movies's main thread. My main thoughts are in the Review section already,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Im working on the list right now, but after that i will write a longer non-spoiler review on the movies's main thread. My main thoughts are in the Review section already,

Thanks, going to the Review section to check that out right now!

God dammit youre killing me here BB. Can't wait to read the rest. But now I have to make dinner and get more wood for the camp fire tonight.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The next one is the definiton of an influential genre classic.

Friday the 13th?

50 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Number 19:

The_Silence_of_the_Lambs_poster.jpg

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Director: Jonathan Demme

Box Office: 272,2 Million WW

Tension: 9/10

Atmosphere: 8/10

Rewatchability: 8/10

Plot Synopsis:

Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster), a young US FBI trainee, searches after a serial killer only known by his nickname Buffalo Bill. Soon she knows no better way as to ask Dr. Hannibal Lecter for advice. The problem: He is another serial killer. And a cannibale.

I think many of you thought this behemoth of a movie would be in the Top 10. And theres tons of good reasons why it should be: Because The Silence of the Lambs is in practically every aspect an absolute Masterpiece.

It has a great, captivating and suspensfull story. It has highly interesting characters, which are elevated by terrific performances from the cast. I dont have to praise Hopkins as Lecter, everyone else has done that already, but yeah, he is one of the best movie villains of all time. But Jodie Foster imo is equally great, Scott Glenn as Jack Crawford and Ted Levine as Bill are also phenomenal. The are aided by one of the best scripts of the 1990s, nerarly every line of dialogue in this film just feels so right. Not only the iconic quotes ("Im having an old friend for dinner"), but the rest as well. Add to that phenomenal direction by Demme and superb pacing and you have a film that coudnt be much better,

So why is it only Number 19? Well, there are some films out there - most of them Masterpieces - that i really, really like or even love, but i dont...adore them, if you know what i mean. I see that they are perfect movies, i enjoy them very much, i recognize their influence in cinema - but there are just other movies out there that i love even more. So what can i say? I love Silence of the Lambs, i love its psychological and physical brutality, but i dont love it enough to place it much higher. Let me just say though once again, that it is practically a perfect movie, not only as a horror thriller, but generally as a movie. Fully deserved its 5 Oscars.

Great guess @Spectre and youre right, this film fits many of my criterias very very well. Its just, ahh, i woundt be honest if i would place it higher, I hope you can understand that :lol:

"I'd fuck me hard! I'd fuck me so hard" -buffalo bill

that's one for the top movie lines thread

• Like 2

Number 18:

220px-Psycho_(1960).jpg

Psycho (1960)

Director: Alfred Hitchcock

Box Office: 32 Million

Tension: 8/10

Atmosphere: 9/10

Rewatchability: 7/10

Plot Synopsis:

Marion Crane (Janet Leigh), a secretary, stole some money from her employer and ends up on a motel managed by a certain Mr. Norman Bates...

I dont want to write anything more, since i think there are still some people out there that dont know what happens in this movie. Because i was one of them. And then i got spoiled. And then i wachted the film finally years later and expected - honestly - to be bored, since i knew everything that would happen.

Well, i was stupid. Because Psycho has aged very well indeed and even knowing what will happen doesnt ruin the experience (unlike another movie where i got spoiled too and in the process coundt appreciate it as much as i wanted). That is primarily due to one name: Alfred Hitchcock.

Hes nicknamed "Master of Suspense" for a reason. And while i dont think Psycho is his best film (that has to go imo to Rear Window), its the most thrilling. Everything from the performances, to the pacing, the camera perspectives, the iconic soundtrack and even the scene transitions is masterfully handeled. The film has a constant undertone of bad things to come and Anthony Perkins is just...hes mesmorizing. Between his Norman Bates and Hopkin's Lecter i coundt really decide which one is better. But - again - even knowing what the deal was, Perkins was still aible to surprise me big time. Timeless performance.

Not getting the praise it deserves when it was released, its now considered one of the best movies of all time. And also as one of the first slasher films and indeed, many directors of this genre should later name this movie as one of their main inspirations.

You all know this great tune:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Depends on what you end up putting ahead of it ;)

Edited by Spectre
  • Like 1