Brainbug

Brainbugs Top 50 Best Horror movies of all time - Baumer's top 50 starts on page 18

I think James Caan was perfect for the role.  He's always been a very physical, very muscular actor.  To paralyze him and place him in a life and death situation where he can't use his legs is genius.

Edited by L Silverman
  • Like 1

So the list will continue tomorrow, but the next entry is one true classic that has maybe aged not as well as some other old films, but surely better than its awful remake.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

So the list will continue tomorrow, but the next entry is one true classic that has maybe aged not as well as some other old films, but surely better than its awful remake.

So help me if you say Nightmare on elm street has not aged well. 

Number 32:

Thehaunting1963.png

The Haunting (1963)

Director: Robert Wise

Box Office: 1.02 Million

Story: 8/10

Tension: 7/10

Atmosphere: 9/10

Rewatchability: 8/10

Plot Synopsis:

A small group of people are invited by a paranormal investigator to - uh - investigate a supposedly haunted house in Massachusetts. As with all of these films, everything goes according to plan and everyone will be fine^^

I was a bit afraid to watch this movie after seeing it in so many Top Horror movies lists, since the film is not only very old, its in black and white - and normally im just not that into black and white films, but this one...this is just so good. So, so good.

Many would say that The Haunting is the father of haunted house films and its hard to argue against that. Many tropes and cliches originated from it and Wise used some techniques here that would later become the norm not only in ghost films, but horror in general - for example tracking shots that last for a few moments insted of the quick-cutting of other films in the same genre at the time. This film here creates a truly unsettling atmosphere and the scary stuff is always present - in our heads, since the film gives lots of room for imagination. And this type of psychological horror i really do like. So much so, that i can overlook some aged effects and the acting, which is...very 60s i would say. But it doesnt distract me to such a degree that i would count it as a flaw.

Another excellent aspect of the movie is the set design and lighting. It gives the film a claustrophobic feeling which only adds to the tension.

The film got an awful remake in 1999 by Jan de Bont (oh, what has happenend to the director of Speed?), which is baaaad indeed.

Trailer (spoilery, but what can i do):

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Ok, thats it for today. Tomorrow will see more entrys beginning with #31, which is one of the few home invasion films i really, really like.

Will it be The Strangers?  Or Funny Games?  Similar themes, entirely different approaches.

Or...are we going completely old school and picking Straw Dogs?

Edited by L Silverman

Okay that all makes sense now LOL. Yes the haunting is a great classic movie and the Remake is a horrible piece of crap

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, L Silverman said:

Will it be The Strangers?  Or Funny Games?  Similar themes, entirely different approaches.

Or...are we going completely old school and picking Straw Dogs?

:Venom:

• Like 1

Number 31:

4-youre-next-watermarked1.jpg

You're Next (2011)

Director: Adam Wingard

Box Office: 26,9 Million

Story: 6/10

Tension: 8/10

Atmosphere: 8/10

Rewatchability: 9/10

Plot Synopsis:

A family (and friends) come together to celebrate their wedding anniversary getaway, when a group of masked assailants suddenly attack them. Though it seems the killers are absolutely ruthless, there might be someone else too that wont have any mercy at all on this day...

Like romantic horror or backwood horror, home invasion horror films are a plagued genre; most of them are bad, only a few golden eggs can be found here. You're Next is one of them.

The plot here is rather simple, but the execution makes this movie as thrilling and entertaining as it is. Normally, we would see the family (and friends) get killed one after another and at the end, we have the typical final girl, that will somehow find a way to escape or kill the killer. Well, that is sort of happening here as well - and at the same time, its not.

You see, this film has THE BEST "final girl"-character ive seen in a LONG time, maybe shes actually the best overall, though many other girls in (mostly slasher) history would feel the need to talk with me i fear. But nevertheless, the character of Erin (Sharni Vinson) is just so damn epic and makes all the various life-or-death situations of the movie so much more exhilarating. Without her, the movie woundt make my Top 50 at all, though the other aspects of it are damn solid too: Its very well shot and acted throughout, has some memorable (and very gory) kill scenes and is on first watch also quite surprising, although some of the twists are kinda obvious. Add to that a soundtrack that has since become a meme and youve got yourself a very very fun and entertaining horror film.

Soundtrack piece:

If i remember correctly, @filmlover is a fan of Erin as well.

• Like 3

So sry guys but today is one day where i dont have endless amounts of time. I will post 2 or 3 more later today. On Friday i probably wont be able to post more than 1 or 2, but get ready for lots of entrys on Sat/Sun.

• Like 3