Brainbug

Brainbugs Top 50 Best Horror movies of all time - Baumer's top 50 starts on page 18

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Making these lists is hard because there are so many good movies out there that you want to include, but theres just this limit.

Honey, stop with the cheap excuses. The Sixth Sense is a non-brainer. A true classic, a masterpiece, EPIC. Same for Friday the 13th. Fix your taste.

giphy.gif

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Honey, stop with the cheap excuses. The Sixth Sense is a non-brainer. A true classic, a masterpiece, EPIC. Same for Friday the 13th. Fix your taste.

giphy.gif

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Im still sad The Sixth Sense got spoiled for me. If that hadnt been the case, i would probably appreciate it more. The first viewing of any movie is generally the most important one for me and for that movie the surprise factor was kinda ruined.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Im still sad The Sixth Sense got spoiled for me. If that hadnt been the case, i would probably appreciate it more. The first viewing of any movie is generally the most important one for me and for that movie the surprise factor was kinda ruined.

You are very right. I swear I could barely breathe when I realised what was happening. But well, for me it still stands on rewatch too. I absolutely love Osment's performance and I really dig the characters all around. It's really one of my big faves. Solidly Top 10 in the horror genre.

• Like 1

Its sad that the twist has become a meme now, so younger generations (like me lol) are getting the spoiler as a joke

Spoiler alert for The Sixth Sense:

Spoiler

Uhh, Bruce Willis is a ghost!!!!!!

Well we have not seen But Italian horror film on here in quite a while so I'm going to guess that you've got to have a mario bava film in here somewhere or a Lucio ball cheat film. So that's my guess for number 10 something from one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Anyway, ill give one hint for the #10 movie: We travel (maybe one last time, maybe not) to Asia again.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Well we have not seen But Italian horror film on here in quite a while so I'm going to guess that you've got to have a mario bava film in here somewhere or a Lucio ball cheat film. So that's my guess for number 10 something from one of them.

I just....i coundt resist...im sorry Baumer :sparta:

Concerning italian/giallo horror films generally though, there arent actually that many that i would put into my Top 75 or Top 100. Theres golden eggs to be found, but most of them left me thinking "that was solid/good, but there are better horror films out there". 

• Sad 1

About that. I read your post too quickly and I'm doing about four things at once right now LOL. Italian Gallo films are not for everybody I understand that. I won't have too many of them on my list either but I will definitely have one Lucio fulci film definitely in my top 15 maybe even my top 10.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

About that. I read your post too quickly and I'm doing about four things at once right now LOL. Italian Gallo films are not for everybody I understand that. I won't have too many of them on my list either but I will definitely have one Lucio fulci film definitely in my top 15 maybe even my top 10.

Its a niche genre i think and not enough people actually know about this golden age of italian horror cinema. Concerning Lucio fulci, my favourite of his is The Beyond, though i still havent seen all of his films.

• Like 1

Number 10:

220px-A_Tale_of_Two_Sisters_film.jpg

Janghwa, Hongryeon: A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

Director: Kim Jee-woon

Box Office: ~1 Million

Story: 10/10

Tension: 9/10

Atmosphere: 9/10

Rewatchability: 8/10

Plot Synopsis:

Two sisters, just beeing released from a mental institution, reunite with their father and stepmother in their old family house. While the relationships betweem all of them is bad enough, the house itself seems to be increasingly dangerous and ghostly encounters are happening...

More i do not want to tell if you dont know this film and its amazing story. The Tale of Two Sisters - on its concept and the execution of the story alone - would be in my Top 50 movies of all time easily. It has great and highly interesting characters, an amazing script and is full of surprises, twists and turns, so again if you dont know it, dont look it up, just watch it immidately. You wont find any spoilers here though.

Psychological horror doesnt gety any better than this imo. This movie has constant gut-wrentching tension generated by the absolutely unpredictable events that take place and is at its core a pure tragedy with a truly emotional impact in many many moments. Its also one of the best ghost/hounted house movies with some genuinely creepy and terrifying scares, which coudnt be more different from typical american horror films. Here you dont have jumpscare noise when something appears or something is happening in the background. It just...happens. Its just there and in the process its so much more effective for me personally than having this loud noise, which only distracts one from the scare itself. 

This film was for me what The Sixth Sense was for many other people. At the end (but also in many parts prior) i was just sitting on the couch with an open mouth, processing what i just witnessed and trying to understand it all. Its a mindfuck of a movie, but at the end, everything comes together. The movie leaves you mastefully in the dust for the majority of the runtime, only to drop the bomb at a specific moment. So so so great. I adore this film so much.

It got a (bad) american remake, but i wont say the name in case someone who has not seen A Tale of Two Sisters, but its remake and therefore would know what really is going on here.

On top of it all, its got an amazing soundtrack as well:

• Like 4

Number 09:

220px-Trick_r_treat.jpg

Trick'r Treat (2007)

Director: Michael Dougherty

Box Office: nothing, since it wasnt a theatrical release

Story: 7/10

Tension: 9/10

Atmosphere: 10/10

Rewatchability: 10/10

Plot Synopsis:

This beeing an anthology film, it contains four Halloween-centric horror storys, which are unchronologically told and tie into each other. At its center though is Sam (the pumpkinhead on the poster), who watches over the night to ensure, that everyone follows the rules of Halloween and otherwise...well...

Yep. For me personally - all of this is subjective! - Halloween (1978) isnt the best Halloween horror film of all time. Gold goes to this absolute gem here.

Why though? For one, its a very well-made movie. Visually its very interesting, the camerawork, costumes and effects are great. The performances from Anna Paquin, Brian Cox and especially Dylan Baker are very good and extremely entertaining. But if i would have to use one word as to why this film works so well it would be...

Fun.

Trick'r Treat isnt a Masterpiece like Halloween, The Silence of the Lambs or A Tale of Two Sisters, but it doesnt want to be one either. It has only one goal: To entertain the viewer for the short 81 minutes runtime. And imo it more than knocks it out of the park. It knocks it out of the city and maybe the planet.

Every single one of the short stories by itself is pure entertainment. Its bloody, its tension-filled, its often times drowned in hilarious black humour (VERY black humour) and is so incredibly rewatchable and in many scenes very very satisfying. Every time me and my friends see it on Halloween, it gets better and better, we dont get it either :lol: I know very well, that many films in this list have been far more influential, many of them had a lot more depth into their story and characters, many are classics that will be classics in 50 years as well and this gem here might be largely forgotten by then - but not by me. Just writing about it makes me wanna watch it again lol. I adore it.

Doughtery is also responsible for the very solid Krampus (2015), which nevertheless cant hold a candle next to this anthology horror fest imo.

• Like 5