Brainbug

Brainbugs Top 50 Best Horror movies of all time - Baumer's top 50 starts on page 18

Well, i have lots of time. And i really like movies. And i really love lists of movies from other people, like @Daxtreme's awesome Best movie fights list, which actually directly gave me the idea to make such a list myself.

So why Horror movies? Horror i think is maybe the genre that has the biggest variety of themes and settings. From Space to Antarctica and the Oceans, to Hell or a simple basement, nearly every location of this world and beyond has been used in this genre, sometimes to great success and sometimes...not. The goal for all of them: To scare its audience. Fear is one feeling that is really hard to achieve. Not just through a jumpscare or gore, since the results are most of the time nervous laughter for the former and simply disgust for the latter. But i mean real fear, which can only be accomplished through the constant building of tension. Through an atmoshphere that makes one truly unsure, if a character will survive the next scene.

Which leads us to another extremely important factor for horror movies, which is very basic, but absolutely needed: Atleast a servicable story with characters that we can root for. Bad horror movies sometimes have a good concept and solid filmmaking, but if we dont care one bit for the fate of the characters, it is impossible for the film to create a feeling of fear. Instead, we just wait for the characters to die. Now, if the Film wants to be a fun splatter romp, thats more than fine and some of them made the list as well - but if it wanted to scare us, it has failed. Many horror movies have failed. The ones on this list havent (atleast for me :lol:)

One thing to note is that im not easily scared. Theres only a few movies where i personally felt real fear and only two movies on this list managed to actually make me look away from the screen. A horror film succeds for me, when it manages to suck me into its story and atmosphere and delivers an entertaining, thrilling ride. But what we fear is highly dependant on the individual person; Some of my picks in my Top 10 for example dont scare a friend of mine at all, but some movies that actually missed my list do so. But its also important to note that this is not a list of the "scariest" horror movies, but the ones i liked the most and what i think are the best of the best in this genre. Though the scare factor was ofc one of the the most important guidelines for me while doing the ranking.

I will rate every movie with 0 to 10 points (*) in the categorys of Story (Concept and characters), Tension, Atmosphere and Rewatchability. The last one is less important than the others, because while i want to wach a film like Requiem for a Dream never again, that doesnt make the movie bad in any way. But there are many horror movies that i could watch 10 times a year and i think its worth mentioning which movies these are.

Also, be prepared that some obvious choices are maybe not as high on this list as one would predict ;) All horror movies up to 2017 could make an appearance. If someone correctly guesses my Number 1 pick i will donate 50$ to the forums :) and 30$ if nobody guesses it :lol:. Everyone has only 1 choice of course. I will collect them in the first post so everyone can see which movies are chosen already.

Guesses for the Number 1:

@Daxtreme: Braindead (1992) -------> Nope

@baumer: Suspiria (1977) -------Nope

@JamesCameronScholar: The Blair Witch Project (1999) ------> Nope

@IronJimbo: The Exorcist (1973) -------> Nope

@Water Bottle: The Babadook (2014) -------> Nope

@Premium George: The Thing (1982) --------> Nope

@ZeeSoh: The Omen (1976) --------> Nope

@Spectre: The Silence of the Lambs (1991) ------> Nope

@L Silverman: Halloween (1978) --------> Nope

@TwoMisfits: Scream (1996) -------> Nope

Well, nobody guessed it:lol:

List of the movies so far:

50. Phenomena (1985)

49. The Orphanage (2007)

48. Scream 4 (2011)

47. Silent Hill (2006)

46. Rosemary's Baby (1968)

45. Get Out (2017)

44. Evil Dead (2013)

43. REC (2007)

42. Poltergeist (1982)

41. Let the Right One In (2008)

40. Planet Terror (2007)

39. The Blair Witch Project (1999)

38. The Conjuring 2 (2016)

37. Gokseong - The Wailing (2016)

36. Lost Highway (1997)

35. It (2017)

34. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

33. Misery (1990)

32. The Haunting (1963)

31. You're Next (2011)

30. Army of Darkness (1992)

29. The Ring (2002)

28. Predator (1987)

27. The Witch (2016)

26. The Babadook (2014)

25. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

24. Re-Animator (1985)

23. Don't Breathe (2016)

22. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

21. The Omen (1976)
20. The Fly (1986)
19. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
18. Psycho (1960)
17. The Evil Dead (1981)
16. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
15. It Follows (2015)
14. The Descent (2005)
13. Braindead (1992)

12. Audition (1999)

11. Halloween (1978)

10. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
09. Trick'r Treat (2007)
08. Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn (1987)
07. The Exorcist (1973)
06. Alien (1979)
05. Jaws (1975)
04. Scream (1996)
03. The Thing (1982)
02. Suspiria (1977)
01. The Shining (1980)

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Lets start of with the worst Horror movie ive ever seen, because why not?

Dishonorable Mention:

220px-Manosposter.jpg

Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966)

Director: Harold P. Warren

Box Office: Unknown

Story: -----------

Tension:-----------

Atmosphere: ----------

Rewatchability:----------

Plot synopsis:

A family goes on a vacation, but looses their way on a road trip and drives through the Texas desert. After a LONG time, they come across a lodge, which is in control of a polygamous pagan cult. They attempt to escape while the cult tries to decide what to do with them.

This movie is incredible. Every. Scene. Is. Terrible. The editing is all over the place, the continuity is just not there at all, the acting is atrocious and the whole films looks like it was made for 1$. Its also known for many scenes that are just super random, for example some women in the movie engage in catfights for no reason at all, it just happens.

Thanos: The Hands of Fate is worse than movies like Troll 2 or Sleepwalkers because its SO BAD that it isnt funny anymore. There are really stupid dialogues in the movie, but they are not hilarious at all, they are just dumb. Its painfull to sit through, though alcohol helps a lot. One positive side effect has it though: Every movie you watch after this, and may it be Green Lantern, will seem like The Godfather compared to this SHIT.

I highly recommend it obviously.  

And here is the whole movie btw:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I hope you count The Silence of the Lambs as horror btw.

Its a horror thriller, so it would count :).

The countdown though will start when Baumer gives me the permission to do so. Theres a videogame list by Numbers which has the priority right now.

• Like 1

You can definitely start it but it's going to have to stay in the speakeasy because we already have the numbers video game thread being pinned in the main form. So go ahead and start it but unfortunately it will have to stay here.

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

You can definitely start it but it's going to have to stay in the speakeasy because we already have the numbers video game thread being pinned in the main form. So go ahead and start it but unfortunately it will have to stay here.

Thats fine with me :) It will take a long time anyway to write all this :lol:

• Like 2

Number 50:

220px-Phenomena-poster.jpg

Phenomena (1985)

Director: Dario Argento

Box Office: Unknown

Story: 5/10

Tension: 7/10

Atmosphere: 7/10

Rewatchability: 3/10

Plot synopsis:

A young girl (Jennifer Connelly) comes to a remote Swiss boarding school where a Serial killer is butchering young women lately. She discovers that she has the psychic ability to speak with insects and plans to use them against the killer.

Dario Argento is the name and face of the italian giallo horror film, an italian subgenre for horror movies from the 60s to the 80s which usually involve a murder mystery and heavy psychological elements and themes as well as unique coloration and music. Phenomena's pacing is slower than other films in the genre or from Argento, but it balances that with fantastic tension building and a class-A soundtrack. The 2nd half of the movie then is pure insanity and reqires quite a strong stomach.

The biggest flaw with this movie is the acting. Connelly is solid, but many from the supporting cast are just a bit wooden. It helps though that the movie looks absolutely beautiful.

Theme song:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 1

I have seen a lot of Dario Argento movies but I have not seen this one. I also did not know that Jennifer Connelly was in I Dario Argento movie and if I'm reading that poster correctly it says Donald Pleasence isn't it as well? How have I not seen this movie LOL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, baumer said:

I have seen a lot of Dario Argento movies but I have not seen this one. I also did not know that Jennifer Connelly was in I Dario Argento movie and if I'm reading that poster correctly it says Donald Pleasence isn't it as well? How have I not seen this movie LOL

Yep, hes in it :lol:

• Like 1

Number 49:

220px-Elorfanato.jpg

El Orfanato (The Orphanage) (2007)

Director: J. A. Bayona

Box Office: 78.6 Million Worldwide

Story: 7/10

Tension: 7/10

Atmosphere: 8/10

Rewatchability: 5/10

Plot synopsis:

1975, in Spain: A woman (Belén Rueda) brings her family back to her childhood home, which used to be an orphanage for handicapped children. Soon her son Simón starts speaking with an invisible friend though and after an argument with his mother he goes missing.

And more should no one know that wants to watch this movie. Bayona crafts a haunting ghost story (pun intended sry), that combines excellent cinematograhpy, editing and lighting to create a chilling athmosphere. The film sucks you in which is not only because of the genuinely (jumpscare-free) creepy tone, but the story. The characters feel very real and all the actors, especially the kids, give excellent performances. The Orphanage is basically a horror drama and it doesnt fail at beeing quite emotional in many scenes, like all of Bayonas films (up to this point :lol:). Absolutely worth mentioning is the soundtrack which elevates this movie in so many ways.

Fun Facts: The film received a 10-minute standing ovation at Cannes in 2007 and won 7 Goya awards in Spain. New Line Cinema has the rights for an american remake, but this film really doesnt need one.

Just listen to this:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Look forward to more of this list.

I'm really starting to like the horror Genre (with the solids outputs coming from recent years) but I haven't really watched all that many released before this era, hope to find some new favorites!

• Like 1