A Marvel Fanboy

Tron: Ares | October 10, 2025 | Jared Leto to star, Joachim Ronning to direct

20 hours ago, CJohn said:

You look at this project and you just know it isn't doing more than 150M WW. 

Sometimes I wonder when execs green light stuff like this or that Snake Eyes movie, looking at the creative talent they are given and the franchise they are hawking off, do they know these movies are gonna bomb? Because anybody with a brain knows a “Tron movie with Jared Leto directed by the Maleficent 2 guy” will be a giant bomb. I don’t understand this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric Jones said:

Sometimes I wonder when execs green light stuff like this or that Snake Eyes movie, looking at the creative talent they are given and the franchise they are hawking off, do they know these movies are gonna bomb? Because anybody with a brain knows a “Tron movie with Jared Leto directed by the Maleficent 2 guy” will be a giant bomb. I don’t understand this.

Same. I don't understand. It is beyond obvious this is gonna be a dud.

On 7/3/2023 at 3:19 PM, Eric Jones said:

The only reason this project is (one has to assume) getting one last shot is because they just opened a big attraction at Magic Kingdom. Legacy is now an almost 13 year old movie (time flies!), so a new movie is due to raise even more awareness for the ride. That's the business for ya!

On 7/3/2023 at 12:19 PM, Eric Bunny said:

Money laundering

Neither Tron or Tron Legacy made money theatrically, right? I doubt a decade later sequel fronted by Jared Leto is likely to change that. Has there ever been a big budget franchise like this before that has never made money in theaters even with three times at bat?

15 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

Neither Tron or Tron Legacy made money theatrically, right? I doubt a decade later sequel fronted by Jared Leto is likely to change that. Has there ever been a big budget franchise like this before that has never made money in theaters even with three times at bat?

Does Hellboy count? Also I think the last 3 or 4 Terminator movies have lost money theatrically.

On 5/16/2023 at 5:10 PM, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know why Disney is even still bothering with Tron. I know it has a cult following, and that many people here wanted another one, but I just don’t think it’s ever going to be a thing. 

They also spent a crapload of money on Tron themed rides at the Shanghai and Florida Disneylands. I understad they were going to turn Space Mountain at Disneyland Anaheim into a Tron based attraction but that seems o thave been put on hold.

That's a good cast. I would be more excited if Cameron Monaghan were the main character tbh. he's a great actor and isn't all washed up and guaranteed box office bomb like Jared Leto. 

• Like 2